How to get side-by-side comparison in PL6 on Mac?

Hi all,

I am trying to find a way to see a side-by-side comparison of before+after during my editing process on MacOS. I know this exists on PL6 for Windows. For an example have a look here and the attached snapshot from the Video.

I am not able to get the same on the Mac edition. The exact same button does not exist. All I can get there is an overlay with a slider that shows before+after on the same screen area.

I’ve digged through the app’s menus, these forums, and also DxO’s help center, but can’t find anything related.

Is this a non-existent feature for Mac (and why not??) or am I doing it wrong? :slight_smile:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Jonas

Yes, it’s yet another of those “it’s in the backlog” differences list that has been growing and never reducing since, at least, PL2, to my knowledge.

But - cheer up, there are things we can do on a Mac that Windows users can only dream of :roll_eyes:

e.g. we can rename virtual copies :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Hi Joanna,

thanks for the quick reply!

Sad to hear it’s not possible at the moment - what seems like a small thing to implement really. :slight_smile: After all, reads like DxO is not aiming for feature parity between the two platforms if there’s a number of known differences, huh?

Cheers,
Jonas

I was looking for a solution to this problem as well. Here is what I came up with.

• Export the images. I use a temp folder for this which I delete from time to time.
  • View them in FastRawViewer (paid software). A lot of people use it for culling raw files but I think the feature to compare images and do a synchronized panning operation is worth the price alone.
  • View them in XnView (free) not as elegant but also an option
  • View them with preview in two windows.
  • Export the images. I use a temp folder for this which I delete from time to time.

Thanks for sharing! Sounds quite cumbersome, though. I guess you have to keep two virtual copies of each file then to be able to export both original and edited? Or is there a more efficient way?

What I am currently doing is to use the overlay showing the original (press D). This also has its downsides - like having to press the key constantly and you don’t get to choose which original state you will see. This implies that if you want to zoom into various parts of the image, you have to let go of the D to do CMD+scroll (I find pinch zoom too unreliable). But it works sorta OKish for my workflow. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Jonas

You can use a developed virtual copy against the original or any two images you want to compare (from same shot with different settings …).
Yes, it is not ideal - you have to export the images.

But panning and zooming in FRV is a huge help in my opinion to evaluate the images