How to create photos like "the masters", and is PhotoLab a useful tool?

Agreed.
Haven’t looked at your edit as away from the Mac but, a bit too much dead black space in the original for me.
Otherwise though, a very nice shot @Stenis and although I haven’t seen the original I think you went the right way with the edit and darkening the shadows.

As for Stonehenge @Wolfgang Clone those annoying humans out!

I think they belong to the image.

George

Oh, I know, I was messing really, I’m just antisocial and would prefer they went away!
It was in no way meant as a criticism of the shot.

Full size and not the small preview and those humans look less of an issue and do indeed ‘fit’ with the shot and story.

…could help to save the planet too…

1 Like

ref Stonehenge – you all made me laugh :+1:
( and yes, looks good as large print )

some more tourists …

:slight_smile:

He could be disqualified by some people …

At the risk of derailing the thread I feel like I’m missing something here?

A former discussion about professional photo competitions like World Press Photo. Any cloning will lead to disqualification.

George

…no risk at all…
:face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

lol…as soon as I posted I wondered whether I was about to open a can of worms!

Can totally understand when talking about competition however for everything else, who cares so long as no attempt to portray it as ‘factual’ is made when that’s not the case.

Notice that they only are visible at the left…
They are leaving this world and timestamp…
Are bleeped in to the next time…:grin:

1 Like

could you clone those out too ?
Eurmm, ok :grimacing: :point_right: :athletic_shoe: :athletic_shoe: :athletic_shoe:

1 Like

I can very much relate to that. I often feel the same way, and often have the same result you noted.

This will get you a technically good image, but what about waiting for the perfect moment to capture it?

I can’t remember the last time I bought a paper newspaper… oops.

…which is why nobody trusts photographs any more, not that this wasn’t done ages ago, but now it’s so easy a 50-year old can do it.

This looks like a snapshot someone made of a group of people having their photo taken. Interesting that the guy is taking the photo with his iPhone, with his real camera hanging below his arm. No complaint - I would probably do the same thing, but I would then take a photo of Stonehenge, with that being the subject of my photo. …and then I would try to take it in a more interesting time of day, with a more interesting sky, maybe with me getting down much lower to get more sky.

Truthfully, I started to feel trapped by this discussion, but I was and am still learning more about PhotoLab - in this case, how to use masks better.

I started to feel burnt out by some of these discussions. It was more interesting to me when @Joanna seemed to be teaching me more about the PhotoLab tools.

If the virus doesn’t disrupt my plans, I now have tickets to/from Colorado, and later to/from India, so I’ll be able to take better images (I hope) and do a better job of editing. It’s highly likely that my images will be enhanced, using the PhotoLab tools, but will still be suitable for journalistic purposes too.

HCB sent his film to a local pharmacy and had others print his negatives … or so I’m told. Don’t confuse the tool or the workflow with the product. A worthwhile photograph usually results from persistence, talent, and being in the “right” place at the right time and knowing it.

Another way of looking at this: Anyone can buy DxO, Photoshop, a Leica camera, etc., but very few of these same people can make photographs that move an audience. I don’t pretend to know how or why this happens. But, having been around a few of people who have made such images, I can tell you that they spent lots of time making “bad photographs” but persisted. In my brief discussions with them they never talked much about “equipment” (unless it was broken).

Take away? Spend more time making pictures. Study each image and ask yourself if it satisfies whatever goal or expectation you have set. Spend less time in front of the machine or looking for a solution to a problem that either does not exist (owing to a lack of product), or isn’t really a problem that can be fixed by acquiring more hardware or software.

@TomR , welcome to the forum!!!

Nowadays, I wouldn’t argue with anything you wrote, but way, way back when, it was a steep learning curve to get to where I am now. From Kodak 120 box camera to today’s computerized wonders! You’re right though - it’s not the camera, it’s the photographer.

easy – he had to take their “Selfies”

Thank you for your quick response. I’m pretty old and I am sure that my approach might seem anachronistic. That said, time spent figuring out what it is you’re trying to show/say and what that might look like in a photograph is time well-spent. Think up a “project” to give you some context and framework. Then, the trick is to find the time and energy to get it done.

Keep shooting, and keep questioning; be your harshest critic, but give yourself the time to find a place in the world where you contribute.

Tom R.

I wonder who took the photo of him taking their selfies?
I like the version that’s posted here.

I agree completely, but sometimes I find my self so involved in “doing” that I don’t have the time to think about it - but usually my first thought is to capture an image while I can, and then try to do better. The first is just a “record shot”, but with enough TLC, the second has a chance to be far better… unless I change my mind, and give up on it. I’m usually my own worst critic, but I’m also way too stubborn, and usually don’t give up unless I have to.

Too many hobbies and projects right now, each one demanding a lot of time. I haven’t taken a “real” photo in weeks. @Joanna probably thinks I fell off the face of this planet… Now that I know better (thanks to @Wolfgang how to use masks, I need to force myself to do so, such that they become a tool, not a mystery.

@JoPoV

some more tourists …

well, already tried the lady’s handbag :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face:

and …

better keep them ‘on track’

:slight_smile: