How to create photos like "the masters", and is PhotoLab a useful tool?

Did you read those former links. If yes, did you understand it? It’s polite to let the posters to know if their efforts where useful.

Why should your camera have recognized you’re in Colorado?? You can adjust the local time but if you didn’t adjust the time zone too, then you will have the wrong universal time.

What do you mean with this? If it’s a matter of getting only one rabbit sharp or two rabbits sharp you must deal with the aperture. It’s all half info.

George

I used to come here every day, many times each day. For the past month or so, I’ve been too involved in too many things. I’m sure I haven’t yet read “those former links”, or I would have responded and remembered. I’m way behind, and now I’m out of town again, and like before, with very poor internet access. I expect that to improve next week.

Totally my fault - my other devices recognize where I’m at, and adjust the settings accordingly, but not my current cameras. I adjusted the location and the time the first chance I had in Colorado, and I adjusted both again the evening that I posted the rabbits photo. Guilty as charged. Yes, I do realize what you said. The better way to do this from now on, will be to make these adjustments before I even leave home, so when I arrive in a new place the cameras are already set. Yep, my mistake…

I guess I didn’t write it clearly enough - I knew the choices, and deliberately set the camera to capture the image I posted, the way I wanted it. Yes, deal with the aperture, and being able to use a high ISO, I could have used a very high shutter speed AND closed down the aperture. I focused on the near rabbit, then the far rabbit, and decided what I wanted, which is what I posted.

I’m not suggesting what I did was “right” or “wrong”, only that it is what I wanted to capture, but next time the shutter speed will be much higher.

When I write stuff like I did up above, it’s a summary of what was going through my mind at the time, and an explanation of why I used the settings I did. When you see the original file, you’ll realize how much I cropped it. Hmm, I will try once more to upload the raw file…nope, no good. Same error message.

Once I get home, and have good internet, I will upload two versions of these files, one for Mac and another for Windows. Depending on what computer other people have, they can select the best version for them, which for you will be Windows, and there will be no “pipe symbol” in the file name. That should satisfy everyone, whatever computer they are using.

I would like to continue getting your feedback, but I have no desire to change over the filing system on my Mac Mini, my iMac, and my MacBook Pro. Hopefully this new concept makes it satisfactory for anyone/everyone. At my end, I will copy my raw files into a new sub-folder named Windows, and remove the pipe character before editing. It’s more work for me, but it should work well for everyone.

Agreed - that’s how I will deal with it at my end. Thank You!!!

Thank you Joanna - when I get home next Monday, that will be my workflow. It sounds very easy. None of it seems to matter this week, while I’m in Fellsmere, Florida, as I haven’t found a way to upload files. Last time I visited, the uploading was slow, but it worked. Oh well.

Hi George - Yes, as Mark suggests, that was me.

I use a “wrapper” that first deletes the database (plus thumbnails & cache) and then invokes PL … I do so because I’d rather depend on sidecar/.dop files than risk database corruption (plus, I have no interest in any of the database-specific features; DAM, Projects, History, etc)

Here it is, in Win10 CMD format (I compile this to an EXE): Invoke_PL50(ClrDB+Cache).zip (401 Bytes)

CAUTION: Running this (on a Win10 machine) will delete your PLv5 database.

John M

It was for Mike. But he is on Mac and I don’t think he wants to move.

George

John you had shared this in another thread, I think it was the one on moving folders. I have been using your cmd file on my new PC and neglected to thank you. It’s working very well for me. Since I use a separate DAM I have no desire to have PL involved in my metadata. So thank you. :slight_smile:

Rod

1 Like

Moving from Mac to Windows because DxO is incapable of developing a proper working database would be topscore for the hitlist of “nonsensical reasons to switch to another OS” :crazy_face: :laughing:

Come on, not so serious. Just one laugh a day.

George

I did laugh about that suggestion… I mean, since I’m reading in this forum, the word “workaround” (PL’s shortcomings…) became a solid part of vocabulary. My workaround is just “stop using it”. Funny, right? :rofl: :joy:

So I assume you don’t use it And you’re just spending your time here for you don’t have anything better to do?

George

4 Likes

Laughing is always a good thing to do, at least a bot of value for what I spent. And @George, I bought the Elite version, FilmPack, ViewPoint and an update to all of that. So, after all attempts to make it work for what I need I don’t think I want to care about what you think. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m done with Windows. I used it for decades, but (for me) Mac is so much better in just about every way. Again, for me. I still have one Windows computer, Lenovo W530, but it just collects dust…

Eventually, I want to use PhotoMechanic as my DAM. I have no use or need for the PhotoLab to do anything beyond image editing. I wish PhotoLab had a “switch” to simply ignore the database.

I am finally home again, with good internet access. I will update the image I have been able to send here for the past two weeks - maybe tomorrow.

Something else I’ve noticed - while I am far from being a PL5 expert, the combination of PhotoMechanic and PhotoLab is a great way of getting from a day’s photos to images I enjoy and want to share. I haven’t done much photographing over the past two weeks, but all of what I did do was thoroughly enjoyable, and quickly got me to a finished image for me to share. I accept that I have never been a “master”, and am not one now, and probably never will be - but PL5 has me thoroughly enjoying my photography.

Other than the silly database stuff, and an issue of windows/Mac, I’m not aware of any PL5 shortcomings/workarounds. PL5 meets and exceeds ALL of my requirements in an image editor, better than the other programs I’ve tried. Maybe I’m slow, as I needed help from people here to understand PL5 better, but this forum has been a wonderful learning tool.

If it was only PL5…

Actually, degrading the help of a lot of people to a learning tool while being a self-declared “professional photographer” says quite a lot more about you than I would consider appropriate to state.

As far as I know, I didn’t deliberately “degrade” others about PL5, which doesn’t mean I didn’t and don’t accept a lot of other things that have been posted. PL5 is simple - there are probably a couple of dozen people who have explained PL5 from their point of view, which may or may not be what I want to do, but I have (often struggled) to understand what they are telling me, just as I struggle to understand what PhotoJoseph is telling me in his webinars. Eventually, I do figure out what they are saying, and it usually eventually makes sense to me.

About being a “professional photographer”, when magazines or others pay to send me all over the world, and then pay me for my write-up and photos, that alone makes me a “professional photographer”. My 'job" was/is to send them what they want, and once I figured out what they wanted, it was easy. Anyone who is making a living in whole or part, from photography, is technically a “professional photographer”. By definition.

Feel free to state anything you want. As for the rest of my photography, it’s a hobby, and I enjoy it.

The beauty of this product (PhotoLab) and the help from people here (such as Photo Joseph) allow me to do things better than I could before. I may never come close to catching up with the ability of several people here, but I’m trying to learn from them.

…the reason I watch those webinars, and why I got so involved in this forum, was to learn. I may not be learning how to make a “perfect photo”, but I’m definitely learning how to avoid mistakes, which before I never even realized they were mistakes. …and avoiding mistakes covers a LOT more than PhotoLab. I’m always going to make mistakes, compared to what several others here create, but thinking back on the discussions starting with PL3, then PL4, and now PL5, the biggest thing I learn here is how to do _____ better than what I have done until now.

1 Like

Almost two weeks ago, I tried, over and over, to upload one image, with no success. My internet speed was 2.2 download, and 0.2 upload. My laptop just laughed at me. I’m home now, with good internet once again, and here’s the image I wanted to post, including the raw file.

I wanted people to focus on (as I did) the rabbit closest to me. The other rabbit (to me) was just an add-on, which added to the image without distracting people’s (my) focus on the nearby rabbit. I may or may not have been successful, and like @George pointed out, I could have used other settings, and gotten a different result.

(I had also just arrived at my brother’s home, and hadn’t even considered that the camera was still on Colorado time, just as I had started taking photos in Colorado without even considering that the camera was still on Miami time. I’m spoiled by other devices that do this for me, but that’s just excuses for stupidly forgetting that I needed to change the camera’s location/time settings. …that’s just the tip of the iceberg for my memory issues, which continue to degrade over time, but that’s not an excuse.)

MM2_1484 | 2022-05-28.nef (29.5 MB)
MM2_1484 | 2022-05-28.nef.dop (36.7 KB)

For Windows users…

Oops, I deleted what I wrote; will follow @Joanna’s new instructions later today.

Sorry Mike but you got it wrong :wink:

What I said was -

1. finish editing the file (with pipe) in PL5
  2. close PL5
  3. in Finder, create a new folder somewhere
  4. copy both the the NEF and DOP files to the new folder
  5. open the new file in PL5
  6. rename the file in PL5 (do not do this in Finder) (you can replace the pipe with a single dash)
  7. close PL5
  8. upload both renamed files

You can edit your previous post if you want as it

As soon as I want to download it, the pipe line symbol is replaced by a blank.
I’ve no problem.

George

the file shows up like this

different crop & watermark

w/ the same development …