How to batch change exposure by 1 stop dxo photolab?

Hello,

Simply put.
We have 100 photos.
Auto exposure applied so every photo has different exposure value.
:arrow_forward: NOW, I want to decrease exposure for all photos by 1 stop, so that every photo changes accordingly to it’s starting value.
BUT when I batch chage exposure using arrows in exposure panel - all photos set in to the same exposure value.

Is there a way to change setting accordingly to the starting point for all photos?

regards
Andy

If you are talking about DxO’s Smart Lighting feature (there is no Auto exposure), you can batch process your selection as you like.
You can change e.g. the exposure slider and apply the same correction value to all selected pics, while the chosen Smart Lighting (Uniform) setting acts individually on them – the same when you switch it off.

Does this answer your question?

Thank You for resposne, I am not talking about smart lighting.

There IS auto exposure in dxo photolab - in:

• exposure compensation section
    - there is: Highlight Priority

I am talking about this one.
Lets say it changed one photo to ‘‘0’’ value and another one to ‘’-5’’.
When I select both of them and decrease value using arrows for exposure it equals the exposure for both.
Is there a way so when i click arrow down, the one would change accordingly to ‘’-5’’ and another one to ‘’-10’’?

greetings
Andy

Ok – I never use Highlight Priority or Center-weighted average, only Manual
(but wonder, why you want to batch process the exposure).

→ All 3 ‘modes’ work on the Exposure.
grafik

grafik
So, using Manual ‘resets’ those beforehand chosen value(s) to the new Manual setting.

→ Instead of your second step Manual Exposure try the Tone Curve tool, which is useful to adjust black-/white point, contrast and much more.

BTW,
there is no specific order how to use the tools (PL acts parametric).

Let me get this straight. You first want to use Highlight Tone Priority with the Exposure Compensation tool in PL5 on a batch of 100 images and then afterward you want to lower the exposure further by exactly one stop from where HTP left them on each photo. Is that correct?

Not, I think, where the OP is coming from, but I can imagine if you accidentally left your camera set to +1.0EV you might want to automatically lower every photo by 1EV.

I just don’t think that’s a function I’ve seen in any software, to apply a relative change to a slider across multiple images.

What about selecting the images and set Exposure Compensation -1.

George

That is a function you can do in almost any software, but not in PL I believe. Typically, if you want to apply any setting or a preset to an image, you are given the choice if this change is relative to the current setting, or if it should replace the current setting.

Unfortunately, PL does not have this option and will always replace the current setting.

The only workaround at the current state would be to use a different tool within PL to achieve a similar effect, e.g. using the tone curve.

Exposure Compensation is a correcting relative to the current setting.
Or I misunderstand something.

George

No, I am misunderstanding. I was over-thinking the camera angle of it. Of course every photo opens with the exposure slider at zero.

Export them all as 16bit tiffs to ‘bake in’ the auto exposure then process all the tiffs with -1 compensation.

@maderafunk is correct.

Thank You everyone for posting.

greetings,
Andy

Yep I agree. This is something for sure you can do in capture one. Select multiple images then reduce the exposure by some amount on all of them.

DXO can’t do that. And I also sometimes use DXO’s autoexposure, either center weighted average or highlight priority and I also would sometimes want to bias all the exposures by 0.5 stops or something like that before I go through and check each one.

It’s just not possible.

Everyone suggests smart lighting but that’s not nearly the same. The reality is while there are some decent automatic settings that help in some situations, (like auto rotation if you have good lines) the auto exposure capability is simply not effective to use on a large number of images to get you close.

Closest i can think of is
1 create a preset which holds

• centerweighted auto exposure correction.
  • a small amount of smartlighting, to keep highlights and shadows in line.
    This would equal out all exposures to “dxo’s idea of ideal.” When applied.
    2 select after that all and turndown exposure by 1 ev.
    (never tried it but i would suspect all are tuned down by 1ev and not copy the value of the seen image to all others.)

It doesn’t really work on a variety of images.

To the OP. One thing you can do is use another tool to bias the exposure. I.e. use center weighted average as is, and then adjust the gamma also on every image. And then start from there. But that’s not really the same either and if you want to make more than a small change in nominal exposure across the board then the gamma adjustment doesn’t have the desired effect.

Peter, that’s what I tried in → How to batch change exposure by 1 stop dxo photolab? - #4 by Wolfgang. As soon you choose one option from the Exposure Compensation tool you revert the other option from before. All what you can do is to use two different tools ( 1x Exposure Compensation plus e.g. Tone Curve ).

Ah that’s a pitty, i am not editing 1000 of images and go one by one mostly so i never encountered this problem as a important issue.
How often is this kind of action needed?
Maybe a feature request?

For certain types of photography it’s important. For wedding or event photography I think batch/auto adjustments are a HUGE time saver. Also for sports photography they can help as well. After the batch adjustments then You just go through images and fine-tune.

I created a request for better/smarter autoexposure. Got a number of votes and also some people telling me I was doing it wrong. :joy:

Anyway if you’re interested, feel free to vote. It’s not exactly the same as this but it’s related I think.

1 Like

Simply put: No

PhotoLab does not distinguish increasing/decreasing from setting the corresponding absolute value. Same is true for Lightroom Classic, as far as I’ve tested it in this respect.