How set Default Color Rendering Profile to my Camera Body in PL4

Is there anyway to set the program to use default color rendering using my camera body instead of having to manually change it everytime?

You could set up the desired colour rendering as a preset and then set the preset to default. However, if you have several different cameras this would need to be done for all of them and would require the default to be manually changed depending on which camera source files you work on.

As long as your camera body is supported by PL4 you don’t have to change anything. The “Generic Rendering” and “Camera default rendering” settings, which is the default, will automatically choose the correct rendering for your camera. You can test this by first applying the “No correction” preset then changing only the color rendering to your camera model and nothing else, then press the compare button. you will see no difference.

1 Like

I could swear I’ve changed from default to my specific camera model and seen change, but perhaps I am mis-remembering.

However, the answer I find for things like this is to use a partial preset, as this is slightly easier to apply (assuming you have presets handy for other reasons).

No, there is no way to automatically select different presets (that include the respective profiles) for different camera bodies. Lightroom can do it, but not PhotoLab.

The easiest way (imo) is to sort the bunch by camera body and work from there, applying a profile to the (selection of) images from one camera each. If you store all the profiles you need in one folder, selecting the profile gets easier too. On my Mac, I put profiles here for equally simple access by all user accounts (Std., Admin and Test)

Yes, that’s correct - or, more accurately, it will render the image using information stored in the RAW file by the camera that captured the image (which, as @zkarj found, may not be exactly the same as the
result from one of the “Camera Body” selections - as they are, typically, for a group of “like” models).

The purpose of this tool is to allow one to, say, force images from different cameras to be rendered in a common manner … For example, I have both Sony & Olympus cameras - and I render all images using the “DxO ONE” rendering (which I find quite pleasing for my needs).

John M

2 Likes

I find it doesn’t actually work that way. If I take an image from a Panasonic camera and render it using an Olympus OM-D color rendering, the sky will be too turquoise. If I render an Olympus E-M5 Mark II image using the latest E-M1 preset, there’s too much green. Images actually taken by these cameras render differently in PhotoLab.

I think it means rendered through the same process not with the same result.

Pretending colours are a simple number, camera A produces a ‘colour value’ of 4 and PL knows to multiply that by 1.5 to get the more “correct” 6 in the final image. Camera B renders the same true colour as 5 and the PL would know to multiply that by 1.2 to get the same “correct” 6.

But if you apply camera A’s rendering (x1.5) to camera B’s image (5), you’ll get 7.5 and it will look “wrong”. In reverse, camera B’s rendering (x1.2) on camera A’s image (4) will get 4.8 and also look “wrong”.

In other words, the rendering is the formula to get from a known start point (the camera’s sensor) to a fixed end point (a “correct” colour image).

Yes, I’ve seen that too, Greg - But, many of those body-selections are groups of like models (for which, I presume, DxO has determined that their rendering results are similar)
image - they’re not specific and separate model-by-model selections.

Yes, that’s why I noted the purpose as being to “force images from different cameras to be rendered in a common manner”.

I would also nuance your observation, @zkarj, as follows: “I think it means rendered through the same process but not [necessarily] with the same result

John M

1 Like

Nuance agreed!

1 Like

Technical spoken i think , it was told me a long time ago that generic colorrendering was a manner of hoe much of RGB hue is able to show without blown highlights or closed shadows. As a camera is supported the sensors capabilities is known.
And the rawfile is measured how to read correctly in converting WB and colors.

So when you choose a different camera then you have you choose different characteristics. Aka the outcome of the rawfile reading is “off”.

What would be great if camera color rendering is exactly what it is.
Reading the camera user setting’s for oocjpeg. Thus also the costumised WB vivid, natural, monochrome, custome color.
Then choosing your camera means it replicates the oocjpeg colorrendering in the rawfile.

But it’s long ago, plv1.2, that i was playing with this. I bought the g80 rendering profiles from a guy who made them for LR mostly. It pushes the colors more to the warning blips and activates the colorsaturation protection earlier.

Go to think of a new test.
Say you alter camera’s default WB to red and amber plus 2.
Does this alter the wb numbers which dxo pl reads as shot or does this also effect the camera colorrendering tool?
:grin:

Well John, then I’d say you were lucky. Congrats.

To me it turned out to be a bit more complicated: colors are subtle, when I got my D7200 new back in 2015, I was not so happy with the skin tones, although I added the DXO Camera default rendering, there usually was a pinkish tint what I wanted to mitigate. (No question, using a calibrated high quality EIZO monitor…). I got myself an xrite color checker and fiddled around with the HSL tool until the colors come close to what I wanted. Then I added these settings to my D7200 standard profile. Easy.
Next level of complication some years later was: when I got my D810 and wanted it to deliver exactly the same colors as my D7200. Same story, fiddling around with HSL with partially different settings than D7200 but finally succesful. Takes a rainy sunday afternoon but works fine. Validated on screen and print, great results.
Funny is: when I compare my D7200/D810 colors with those taken with a D5 (testshots from dpreview) and using DXO standard camera color rendering, they are almost identical.

1 Like

I would really like to see the ability to set a default color rendering profile by camera body as can be done in Lightroom. This way, when I load an image from my Canon 6D it will automatically be rendered using my custom dcp profile for that body. To have it body specific would also be a welcome addition for people who have multiple bodies of the same model. Body serial number specific would help wedding photographers especially.

I am a recent convert from Lightroom, used it for the last 15 years, and I really enjoy the improvement in image quality I see with PL4 Elite. But having to always select a preset or change the color rendering profile used for the images for each shoot is a bit of a drag.

1 Like

You can vote for that here:

Thanks. I am new to the forum and didn’t realize I could vote on the topic. I have voted now and hope that others will vote as well. Maybe I need to start a “get out the vote” campaign on this topic…:grin: