How many of you uses a big or dualscreen mode and hoe many is working on tablet/laptop?

I use a calibrated 24" Dell U2412m. I have a second Dell (in storage) to install because the screen is getting a little crowded with all the pallets and if the pallets are expanded, scrolling is a pain!

FYI, I use a factory hardware calibrated ASUS ProArt wide 34" (3440x1440) that I connect via its Displayport to the mini-Display port on my MacBook Pro. Great quality and lots of space to work on DXO as well as other things. It becomes almost like 2 very high quality (not quite 2x27" but more like 2x24") screens side by side. It’s a good compromise because the text in the menus etc are of acceptable size and still readable. I also have invested in a calibration hw&sw (x-Rite i1 Display Pro) so that I can adjust the calibration as time goes by.

Both here, Ipad Pro 12" first gen for most things on the road and a pair of monitors, 22" and 24", one OK for the pallettes and the other is a BenQ SW240 for the images. I wouldn’t go bigger since I already find that it is a bit of a swing for the neck to go from one to the other and also since I have a 27" 4K at my disposal when needed.

How does such a 27" 4k fit?
Are you sitting as close as that 22" is?
And is it possible to easy toggle between 4k and normal FHD?

The 27" is in another room. I use it just to check out what people may see when I put some photo on the Internet. I also have a 50" HDTV and the 22" lowrez monitor for that purpose.

I need glasses to see stuff closer than 4’ (1,22m). I like plain reading glasses so everything must be at the same distance. With a 27" needing to sit at the same distance as the 22", it would be harder to see the whole photo at a glance when using full view.

I never needed to toggle resolutions. Aren’t all LCD monitors a bit imprecise when out of their native resolution ? There’s also the buttons and writing sizes problem which, AFAIK, would require, at each change of resolution, a manual readjustment. I’m on Windows 10.

I don’t own a 4k but from what i understand all windows buttons ikons text and images are 4 times smaller , 1:1 pixel is 4x smaller, in 4k compared by 1080p. That would be nasty reading.

Actually, it is a pretty simple fix, in the display settings, to choose the scaling at which the apps will appear. Moreover, the high resolution does make small features like written characters much clearer, even when they are displayed small. It is a boon for my wife which works with large spreadsheets.

1 Like

That’s exactly my set-up too, Jim … I use the 2nd Dell monitor for my Image Browser.

John M

I use a 28" 4K Samsung monitor with my Windows 10 machine.

Mark

Hi Peter,

These are of my 28" 4k monitor. I agree that viewing in 4K on a very small monitor can sometimes be an issue, but it is not an issue on a large monitor. The type is actually quite large enough to read very comfortably… Unfortunately, viewing the images I posted below on a small monitor may not give you a sense of how they things look on a larger monitor. The viewing area of the building shown in the PhotoLab image posted below is almost 19 inches (482mm) along its diagonal. .

Mark

1 Like

I am thinking of buying a 4k screen but 28 inch aka 72cm…
Let i say i don’t need window blinds any more…

1 Like

Single screen at the moment.
16” Macbook Pro set to use “more space” (2048x1280).
I used to have a 5K iMac from 2014 and I miss the space. As soon as finances allows it I will get a 4K display, 27 or 32”.

PS: On macOS having 4K @ 27” is not a problem.
On Windows 10 you might need to scale the display if apps are not optimized for HiDPI monitors -I have this situation at work-. I suggest you go with 32” if you have the physical space.

Hi Peter,
my 2-monitor-setup started with 2x Eizo L767 (4:3, 1280x1024). As I got to print seriously, I replaced one with a Quato 262ex (16:10, 1920 x1200), whose ratio and pixel size I really liked. When it went wrong unexpectedly, I was considering a big 4k screen, something like 32" … but limited with size & price (I was just going to finally get a new, fast machine) I decided for an Eizo CG 2730 (16:9, 2560x1440). I set CG 2730 to 125 % and L767 to 100 % (WIN 10, NVidia GTX1060 6GB).

BTW, my viewing distance is about an arm length and for editing I’m using an extra pair of glasses (single vision), while at work I was fine with varifocal glass. – When editing in PS etc, I have most of the palettes on the extended screen, while in PL4 it looks like this :sunglasses:

… left …

… right …

have fun, Wolfgang

1 Like

reminded of this thread by your link. :slight_smile:
my combined setup most of the time, playing and non workrelated stuff so lots of other things. on the second screen.

(took some shots after snow yesterday night, it’s gone now. back to wet, brown guwy blob.)

covid? or just not as what you expected?

Serious case of tool choice. way over my needs and budget.
this is more my aim:
Philips 279C9
or this one:

ASUS ProArt PA279CV 27" 4K Ultra HD Monitor

@OXiDant

As you are still looking for new monitor you may check here https://www.prad.de/
I guess, you understand some German.

No experience with 4K. Make sure the screen is big enough. While in Win 10 it’s no problem to enlarge
symbols and labeling, it doesn’t work with older software (menue and windows stay very small). And to keep sharp reproduction always run your monitor in native resolution.

1. Your graphic card must be able to support your monitor(s).

2. It depends on what you want to do (graphic work only, video …).
    – For web purposes and online printing a 100% sRGB colour space is the right choice
    and of course then only work in sRGB!
    – If you print yourself etc., you should consider AdobeRGB colour space and work in ARGB.
    In case this is your only monitor, make sure you can also switch to sRGB, as otherwise it’s difficult to control how your pics look like for web / online printing.

3. For serious graphic work you absolutely need to calibrate your monitor.
    – Software calibration can be done via external sensor + appropriate third party program.
    – Hardware calibration can be done via external or built in sensor + special program.
    – Plus choose one with even backlight and matte screen, not high contrast / glossy surface.

A monitor is your interface to the digital world and no less important than your camera / lens.

have fun, Wolfgang

Not at the moment, 2011 old stuff, so first a new desktop then a new screen. :slight_smile:
(i delayed my purchase for a year because of well its a 2000- something investment.)

mostly hobby, ans some video and photo editing so i am aiming at sub top desktop in cpu and board and a 4k srgb/ adobergb capable/ good color representation non proffesional. like the Asus.

try to avoid that :sweat_smile:
(reason for 4K is i buy for long periode and native 4K and drivers is for a present video quality as my G80 provide something bechmark. (now i have to slimdown in order to proces in davinci resolve. )
not a problem but when buying new i lift the threshold to that level of use.

True, it aint my “tv” or multi purpose screen so some financial limitation is sensible.
(no use to perfect in pc level and watchting on a old scrappy 1080p screen in the livingroom but always go for a 10year good enough kind of threshold.

No hurry buying so i make my wishlist as what would i need when i buy and see when it is needed to buy.

Peter

@OXiDant

mostly hobby, ans some video and photo editing so i am aiming at sub top desktop in cpu and board and a 4k srgb/ adobergb capable/ good color representation non proffesional. like the Asus.

This Asus ProArt PA278QV cannot reproduce AdobeRGB colour space, only sRGB.

[calibration …] try to avoid that :sweat_smile:

I’m not nagging, but for serious graphic work monitor calibration is indispensable.

IF it has to be 4K + AdobeRGB, maybe you check e.g. for BenQ SW271C
https://www.prad.de/benq-sw271c-neuer-4k-ips-monitor-fuer-fotografen/
https://www.benq.eu/en-uk/monitor/photographer/sw271c/specifications.html

Personally, I wouldn’t be happy with this high pixel pitch on a 27" screen, but rather look for something bigger and instead drop AdobeRGB to keep it affordable.

have fun, Wolfgang

Ok starting up again on my monitor quest.
I am thinking of buying a 27 quadhd instead of 4k.
Cheaper and then beter specs to level.

[BenQ PD2705Q ] Hardware Info

They have also a 32inch.
Cheaper but a AV instead of ips.

BenQ PD3200Q Hardware Info

Initially i looked at the [Philips 276E8VJSB - 4K IPS Monitor - 27 inch]
But no VESA so no hight adjustment.

So my main choice now is 2560x1440 qhd or 4k 3840x2160.
I am not sure if 4k is a “problem” for other viewing purposes then editing photo’s.

Second is i think ips is the best way to go.
And 32 inch is 81cm bit like my tv was few years ago…:astonished:

Hi @OXiDant
Greg told me about you looking for a monitor and I should refer you to BenQ … :slight_smile:

I have no experience with 4K and / or video. Maybe this Is A 32" 4K Display Too Big for a Photographer? BenQ SW271 and SW320 4K Monitor Review - YouTube can help you with the decision about the apropriate size.

Unfortunately I don’t understand Dutch. For the BenQ PD2505Q I checked here Test BenQ PD2705Q: Grafikmonitor entpuppt sich als Top-Allrounder - Prad.de (follow pages 1 to 7).
Quality wise it seems to be a good monitor. Refering to resolution and old software, please see post#81.
have fun, Wolfgang

1 Like

Samsung Odyssey CHG90 49" = 2 screens 27" in one. It is a 92% RGB and 125% sRVB. I don’t print, so sRVB Profil is enough.

With 3840x1080 (HD version), a very low curve of the screen (to accept architecture lines), I produce a lot of panoramas. so it’s very immersive to have a 32:9 screen.