How I use Nik HDR Efx Pro 2 with PhotoLab

one time tasks: create PL profile: lens-fix only, create HDR intermediate directory (I use c:/temp/HDR, but if you share your machine, it should be in your user hierarchy)

Then, in PhotoLab

• select all shots in a bracket
  • apply lens-fix only profile
  • export as TIFF to your tmp-HDR folder (16 bit, no resampling, profile AdobeRGB, suffix ‘lfo’)

Run HDR EFX 2. (On my PCs, this is C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection\HDR Efex Pro 2\HDR Efex Pro 2 (64-Bit)\HDR Efex Pro 2.exe, yours might be elsewhere)

• The selection window will open
  • select the lens-fix-only TIFF files you just exported from PL
  • choose appropriate HDR options
  • OK
  • HDR EFX will save a file in your temp HDR folder

In PhotoLab

• open the new HDR TIFF file in your temp HDR folder
  • apply any settings you want
  • export a TIFF or JPG (PL will save to your temp HDR directory unless you pick a different one)

I’ve likely missed an important step (writing from memory, photo edit box is at home) Feel free to correct me :slight_smile:

Note, I leave noise reduction OFF in my ‘lfo’ profile, but I’m using FF cameras, and don’t need it for HDR. You may want it on - or even set to ‘prime’.

Hoping this helps someone…

Edit:
I see there is now a DxO version of the Nik collection. If you use that, I imagine it will install to a different directory (and might sidestep installing both 32 and 64 bit versions on 64 bit machines). If you are using it, you will have to find the exe.

2 Likes

The only path difference with the DXO version is that it is now located in a DXO folder rather than in a Google folder. And I believe you can also chose to install it on a different physical hard drive. This is the path on my Windows 10 machine.

C:\Program Files\DXO\Nik Collection\HDR Efex Pro 2\HDR Efex Pro 2

Mark