How do I get rid of "the lost images?"

@platypus Just about to go out to get the new header tank etc. before I resume my “day job” as a “plumber”!! Thank you for your response it appears that PL5 on the PC is somewhat better behaved than on the MAC on this occasion (although that could be a function of the DB software used?).

Because of the limitations of the file management in PL5 (possibly because they want to avoid all the work involved in not only doing the actual file management but also trying to keep the database inline with those changes) users will always have to resort to external file management and PL5 will then have to play “catch up”, but that “catch up” should be “elegant” and not leave elements hanging.

I think I would raise the issues as a ‘bug’. Sadly my investigations do not help @zkarj at all in this case because of the differences between the MAC and Win10 PL5.

If you want to use private messaging with me then by all means do e.g. to draw my attention to an item that I appear to have ignored and you want tested on Win10,

Regards

I do believe that DxO is moving in that direction. Question being: How many (paid) releases will it take to get there?

Meanwhile, add your input here:

@platypus will check that out later after I have collected my bits, bought some more copper, built a new platform for the new header tank, plumbed it in, removed the blockage (the real hard part), refilled the system and restarted the central heating - it could be a while!

Exactly, and that does not work if the file is no longer there.

Which either of these would fix.

I do think there is some caution to be applied to the last one, though. When I have elected to move images outside of PL, I have been able (with some difficulty) to tell it where they had gone and get them linked back up. If the database were to automatically “get rid of” any entries without matching files, this process would no longer be possible.

The simplest thing for DxO would be to get a copy of Lightroom (I’m sure that they have one) and see how Lr manages to prevent inconsistencies - and then add what is missing. :exploding_head:

2 Likes

This is one of the things with PhotoLibrary that has to be sorred out when people now really has started to use PhotoLibrary that really is version 1.0.

People that use PhotoMechanic or other similar software to manage metadata and cull images I’m pretty sure is doing that in the system that owns the metadata instead of doing it in Photolab. So that’s just another reason to get a more advanced solution if you are unsatified right now with these features. Still there are workarounds like reindexing it all or just the folders that are out of sync to solve the problems so it’s not something you can’t fix.