Highlightclipping mask and shadowclipping mask why is choosen for a non blinking colorising?

Working with this toolset started me thinking why is it colorising effect (to show if and how much its clipping) not blinking? Now the colorisation is stationairy and you need to toggle to detect small clipping parts or the colorisation is masking the image. i like the possible choise for flashing or stationairy. Set in the preference tab under the Display tab.

And second: would it be not better to add a possibility in the preferences tab to select a clippingpoint around the max number? like if the scale is 0-255 shadow clipping starting to show : 0-20 and highlight clipping : 235-255(so you can determine the threshold) 0-20% or 15% something like that.
This threshold setting is also to use for a possible optiontool like ETTR and ETTL eyedropper like i earlier suggested (a eyedropper which adjust exposure according to that threshold.)

Again just something i thought would be usefull to make things easy. The current display of clipping does work great and accurate but well, fine tuning can only be done in realworld use.

This would be indeed useful. A moving zebra pattern might also be suitable. Small dots would then “blink”.

Ok i did a session of raw’s and used the highlightclippingtool to lower the highlights by lowering until marking was gone. And here i miss the possibility to set highest level.
Because watching my work on FHDtv the “white’s” where indeed white, 255 white. zooming in you see detail but at full view its just a notch to “bleeched and sunshined white”
So the “clippingtool” does help to lower until 255 (white) is reached which is fine for printing on paper but for backlite viewing like on a screen something like 250 just not full white looks more natural. Now i have to use the hand and the histogram to read the whitespots number after the “blinkies” are gone for lowering to 245-ish to get the “white” less overblown on FHDtv.

In my other program i would set “blinkies” just “earlier” so by correcting highlights the blinkies disapear around 250-245. This way is always adjust to the same point of highlight. the setting of blinkies disapearing.
So that is what i really would like to have: the possibility to set the boundery’s of dynamic range. the thresholds so to speak to control my prefered lowest point blackpoint and highest point whitepoint.

Edit:
Histogram:
Is it me or can this tool be much more informative?
let’s say i point my mousearrow (hand) to a certain place on the image:
this tool can show me a “pointer” where this place is in the histogram: it does but only in numbers of RGB of Lumination level.
So if i want to spot the acual luminationlevel of a bright spot or shadowdark spot is would be much more easy to see if this was running on the tonecurve line in the histogramtool.

After some thinking i think that using the Histogramtool as a viewer for the actual tonecurve of the image which is reacting on the actual contrast corrections i do in “contrast” and “selective Tone” and along that line a small point which is showing the point you have your mousepointer on the image you see the color numbers, the brightnes/saturation, and the place it sits on the tonecurve. (This way it is easier to select the slider you need to correct that place: hightone mid tone shadows blacks., and if you do you see the tone curve react.

Keep the tonecurvetool as a seperate tool.
Put some presets in there: highkey lowkey. to do fast adjustments.

Another vote here for highlight / shadow clipping blinking or other animation. It can be easy to miss small stationary patches.

2 Likes

+1 for optional blinking.