Highlight and shadow clipping not remembered over restarts

It’s a minor thing, but I noticed when I quit and restart PhotoLab 4, it takes me back to the Customize tab, with the same photo selected that I was last editing before I quit, and the sidebars are exactly as I left them (save, perhaps, for scroll position), but the highlight and shadow clipping buttons are always off, even if I left either or both on before quitting.

It would be nice to have them retain state.

2 Likes

@StevenL how about putting this on the list?

My bad,…this is not exactly what I wanted to say… :frowning:
I don’t know if this behavior is what users asked for (sorry, for my previous post)…or if it’s just a behavior that has been implemented this way…

[FORGET THIS, SORRY] This is by design and was a highly requested feature from our users.
I understand that it can’t always fit anyone’s workflow, but I’ll write it down anyway.
Definitely not a priority but why not allow a user to select a different behavior…

I would prefer clipping off for it changes the image I see.
I’m glad how it is :grinning:

George

Steven,

Another difference between the Mac and Windows version? I wasn’t even aware of this one. Frustrating.

Mark

Hi @mwsilvers ,
Which difference do you mean?
Do you mean the H/S clipping or resuming the tab you were in when you left the last time?
If you meant the second one, this is something already scheduled in a next minor update (remember? we are tracking 'em down!)…:smiley:
(H/S clipping behaves the same on both platforms).

1 Like

Thanks for the update Steven. I am pleased that you’re starting to address the differences. I haven’t seen how this feature which allows you to resume editing where you left off actually works, but If you are finished working on an image and already exported it in one session, why would you want to return to that same image in a new session?

I’m assuming this is all part of the ongoing redesign of the interface, but It seems to me with the current two tab design, we should be given an option to set the default startup tab. Additionally, we should have control over starting at the first image in the folder or the previously edited image in it.

Mark

1 Like

…indeed. What you suggest could be even better, I write it down for a near future ;-).
:+1:
PS/ I don’t know why but my previous post has been replaced by this one…I said that your suggestion makes a lot of sense, but first let’s bring some feature parity between mac & win…

I completely agree with you. I was just mentioning it as an option to consider as you continue the refresh and redesign of the interface.

Mark

Hi Steven - May I please ask, what do you mean by “resuming the tab you were in when you left the last time” … Which tab would that be ? … Is this related to the OP’s topic ?

John M

Hi John. I think he is referring to the fact that on MacOS if you close the program while in the customize module, when you next open the program it will reopen in the customize tab exactly as you left off. Same with the library module. This is not the case on WinOS as it always opens in the library module regardless of the module you were in when you last closed the program.

2 Likes

Thanks, Mark … It’s not a big deal, but - I prefer the way the Win version currently works.

John M

1 Like

Interesting - I would not like that at all. I really like that I can close DPL and go back to exactly where I have left withouth looking around.

1 Like

That’s exactly why I noticed it.

I am in the middle of processing around 140 images and this takes a long time. Far longer than I am prepared to spend at the computer in one go. So I process some images, then when I run out of time I quit PL and come back to it later to pick up where I left off. Ideally, exactly where I left off.

Same for me.

When I go back to one folder, I like that the latest edited image is selected again.

1 Like