High SSD useage while editing photos in PL4

Hello I’m a long time away from tech specs and so on, but I remember that on SSD HD it’s recommended to leave 20-30 % free space. Maybe you can look for some terms especially on the websites of the manufacturers like Sandisk/Samsung or websites like Toms hardware to get more actual information’s. There are tems like garbage collection, RMW Zyklus and so on, but I’m not sure if it’s still a problem, because technic changes an my experience is 4-xx years old :stuck_out_tongue:

5 GB free for me seems very less. I would suggest to buy a 500GB disk, clone the systemdisk and replace.

good luck

After a two weeks trial period I gathered about 5 GB of log files. I just deleted them, as there is no real useful information in those files, unless you want to create a bug report. PL4 just keeps working fine as it does not read the log files.

Isn’t part of the problem the User/App data/ Local and Roaming folders? Lots of stuff seems to end up stored there (and not just for DxO). I have yet to find I way I feel comfortable with to move those App Data folders to the D Drive (something MS should have fixed with the advent of SSD drives).

Most of my programs and all my documents, pictures, Downloads, etc folders are on my D drive. I also have a 128 GB SSD. Having programs on the D: Drive works fine for me.

So, my question is: Which DxO folders can be “cleaned out” or removed? Just the DB folders (which in my case are already on the D drive so I don’t worry about them)–or can I clean out the app data folders, too? Right now for DxO PL4 there are only about 150 MB of data in them but I imagine as I use PL4 more, the amount of data stored in the app data folders will increase. Or not?

Thanks.

Windows 10 Settings actually has a way to tell Windows to store all you folders with docs, pictures, etc. to another drive. Might be easier for some people to use.

Good thought. I’ve been around Windows 10 since the beta days but only on a one hard drive system. When I got this one I intuitively looked at properties of the Pictures and Documents folders, respectively, and found the tab and changed. But using Windows ‘Settings’ you can do it globally through the UI. Just documented for later reference in the screenshots here.

Click ‘settings’ and go to ‘storage’.
Expand to ‘Show more categories’
Choose "Change where new content is saved’
Everything defaults to C (at least on my system) despite me pointing my documents and pictures elsewhere. Use pulldown to change the content (documents, pictures, music, etc.,) to the D drive if desired, and all new content should store there.

3 Likes

Hi @nikki ,

that’s correct. I use an old little tool Getfoldersize portable to check my profile from time to time.
You got a good overview where are the most space is allocated and also lot of old stuff isn’t deleted by deinstallation of programs .

With some caution you can delete a lot of not needed information, and yes there are other tools, but I like this one.
Just a overview

best regards

Guenter

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be nice if Windows also let you change where app data for user installed programs is stored. Program on D: drive—app data on D: drive.
MS should fix that.

Wish I still remembered my German for the column labels, but I get the drift.
Of course, which files can be deleted is always the question.
Thanks.

Hi Guenter. Is this program still available for download. If so can you recommend a safe link for it?

This can be an issue, and while moving the app data folders is not generally recommended, moving folders contained therein is possible via junctions and symbolic links. These are basically devices that reside in the default location but redirect the OS and other software elsewhere. Here’s a little GUI for creating symlinks. I suggest experimenting with non-critical files and folders before turning to anything important. Notes from the author:

Just a small application I made to simplify the process of creating symbolic and hard links in Windows 7 and Windows 8 (likely Vista too). It is a GUI for the MKLINK command in Windows, which makes creating the links much easier.

The program requires administrator permissions due to use of the command prompt, so you should run it as an administrator if you experience any problems.

Note: It is not possible to create a hard link from a network share. You must use a symbolic link instead.

Warning: If you incorrectly specify the destination path, such as having the destination and source paths backwards, it will delete the file/folder you are presumably trying to create a symlink from. You will be presented with a confirmation prompt that shows you which folder will be replaced/deleted.

It is always a good idea to test this app on empty files or folders.

1 Like

sorry,
here’s the english version, and yes you have to know a little bit about the folders contents :smile:, but for Example you will find such files by some programs I would delete immediately in case of memory problems

And you can check the download directory
because a lot of programs and people forget to clean after installation

And the info by @arkansawyer is a very good first start.

good luck

1 Like

Dear Mark,

I would suggest these locations for portable software
GetFoldersize - The Portable Freeware Collection
or my most used site is Portable App Directory (over 400 free) - PortableApps.com where you can create also a suite Download PortableApps.com Platform 17.1.1 - Free App Store & Menu | PortableApps.com for using on USB stick. It’s like the leatherman for IT use :smile:

Enjoy it

best regards
Guenter

3 Likes

Why don’t you just replace your SSD with a larger one to start with ?
Nowadays they are dead cheap.

1 Like

Hi @Wildcopper ,

welcome in the community and nice to see you joining this discussion.
Maybe @astronut80920 will follow our suggestions :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

best regards

Guenter

Thanks a bunch Guenter, this will help a lot!

Thanks for the detailed info. I have read about J and M links before but never was brave enough to try it. Now with your info-- (gulp) I may experiment.

Thanks for the info and the links. Nice to come to a place with smart people who actually answer the question that was asked!

I do love Portable Apps. Used to us the platform a lot, though not much these days.
Could not find GetFolderSize there though.
Did find it elsewhere. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

Hi,
getfoldersize is not longer supported and not so easy to find, so treesize free is another portable alternative.

Best regards

Guenter