Help us make DxO PhotoLab even better: take the survey!

I see a lot more contrast in the DxO version. That can crush highlight and shadow gradations. Reduce it for an equal result. How to do that? There are many ways in PhotoLab. It will depend on your preferences.

John and Greg, thank you.

The images are in Adobe RGB (1998) and cause perhaps the colorcast on a sRGB monitor. The Canon 5DS is a megapixelcamera (50Mp) and delivers very tiny details. These details if in highlight, e.g. leafs or in this case the backsite of this ship, are lost in DxO but not in Capture One. That is the (only) problem.

If you want the RAW file, 58Mb, how can I arrange that?

Kind regards, Willy

Yes please.
raw + your both JPEGs, C1 and PL.
Pascal

Sorry Pascal, but the raw (58Mb) and C1 jpg (30,2Mb) are to big. The max is 50 Mb.

Regards, Willy

Willy, try Wetransfer, use OneDrive or i.e Dropbox

Sigi, Wetransfer to what adres?

Upload them on your dropbox account, that’s what he meant

Willy1, an upload to your Dropbox is probably the easiest for multiple users:

• create a folder in your Dropbox
  • paste the file
    Create a link to this folder - you can then either send this link to the people who want to work on it or paste it here.

The link will only allow access to this folder and not to your whole dropbox.

After a while just delete the folder in your dropbox

1 Like

Mikerofoto and Sigi, I have no dropbox and, sorry, I will no dropbox. Too difficult for an old man.

Kind regards, Willy

1 Like

I hope it will do!

Willy

1 Like

Hi Willy

I nothing special to say about this photo.

• DxO standard preset
  • Highlights -20
  • Microcontraste +20 to approach your C1 sharpness.

Pascal

Hoi Pascal,

Don’t you see any difference ?! Curious.

Regards, Willy

Sure.
I see difference but nothing bad with PL and give you my adjustments values.
I don’t like the C1 image enhancement on the rear side of the boat.
Pascal

Thank you Pascal. I appreciate your reaction. Maybe this is not a good example. I lose tiny details from e.g. leafs in sunlight in a forest and this is not the case in CO. Perhaps this is something for PL to attend, for ‘Help us…’ and make PL the best.

Kind regards, Willy

1 Like

Feature request for lens distortion.

Please provide another option for lens corrections:
Use the information provided by the camera and lens to correct lens distortion and shading.

Sony cameras and modern lens work together to provide the option of automatic lens corrections in camera.
This is achieved by the lens transmitting information to the camera about the lens’ characteristics.

The camera body records that lens information into the raw file, or in the case of jpegs, the camera applies the correction details onto the image when writing the jpeg file to the memory card. But, Sony raw files do not have the corrections applied to the raw file. The Sony raw files are recorded as the sensor saw the image at a physical level, and the meta data of how to correct the lens distortion is stored elsewhere in the raw file.

This might be hard for DxO to hear, but, sometimes the DxO modules are not as accurate as the manufacturer’s lens details transmitted between the lens and the camera. (In particular my Sigma 35mm f1.2 lens corrects perfectly using the in camera lens compensation feature, but, the new sigma lens modules does not correct the image completely). Unfortunately, the in camera correction is only applied to jpegs. Raw files still need correcting on the PC. What I would like to see is a new option for DxO: Read the raw file for lens correction information.

This would give a total of three lens correction options:

1. Manual
  2. DxO optics Module
  3. Raw Embedded correction profile

The third option would then be available as soon as a new lens is released onto the market. And, in the cases where the DxO lens profile is different from the original manufacturer details, the end user can select which profile they like, and ideally the percentage of correction to be applied.

Sony’s Image Edge Edit software can apply or not apply the lens correction on the PC to a Raw file regardless of whether the lens compensation feature was on or off in camera when a picture is taken. Capture One is the same. Both software programs will default to applying the lens correction to the image based on what the camera setting was for lens correction at the time of taking the photo in camera.

I think we still need a function to effectively select photos. Comparison of 2, 3 or 4 photos, synchronized zoom…