Help please

Curious…

• which Apple computer are you using?
  • Is it running the Apple CPU chip, or the old Windows CPU chips
  • Which OS is currently installed?
  • Does your computer request to install any updates that you haven’t installed yet?
  • Are you running out of disk space?
  • If you re-start your computer, and ONLY start PhotoLab, nothing else, does that make any difference?
  • What else is running in the background on your computer?
  • Do you have another Apple computer, perhaps a laptop, you can try this on?

Hi Mike,

I’m currently using a Mac mini late 2012 with 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, the OS is Monterey 12.7.
Not asking for any updates and the disk space is fine. Yes, I’ve tried running Photolab separately and makes no difference Mike tbh. I don’t have any other Apple gear sadly so snookerd there.
Deep prime seems to be too much for the PC to cope with, Prme is a little better but still slow.

Unless you are running a eGPU, I would say you should set the Processing to use your CPU.
The Intel HD Graphics 4000 is not really that powerful.

1 Like

I have the same situation - for Mac computers with an “Intel” chip, the more you want to process the image, the longer it takes. Deep Prime takes more time than Prime. But for now, just go ahead and do what you want, and eventually the slow Intel CPU will get you what you want.

I’ve got a Mac mini, 2018, with lots of good stuff installed.
My MacBook Pro with the Apple chip is light-years faster.

B&H has lots of used Mac computers at reasonable prices. You can try to find one with an M1, M2, or M3 chip. M2 is almost as fast, but will save you money.

As soon as I replace my Mac mini with one that has the Apple chip, I’ll be selling my old one, but that wouldn’t help you - you need the Apple Chip - or, you can buy a “graphics processor” for perhaps $500 to add to your own mini, but I’d recommend you get something with the Apple Chip built in.