HEIC/HIEF-Support

Can you point us to actual, quotable, promises made directly by DxO?

1 Like

You’ll find them here if you scroll up. Promises that HEIF was coming soon go back to version 3.

1 Like

Specifically look for posts from Marie in this forum. This is the first such promise, as far back as PL2.

MarieDxO staff

Jan '19

Hello,

we are currently working on tasks to support HEIC/HEIF.
It might no be added to next minor release of PL 2 but the one just after.

Regards,

2 Likes

It’s been regularly promised and as with other things never intended to be done

5 Likes

Hi Marie,
Sorry but yes, we worry as 3 years after, nothing is made and we are still waiting !!!
In case you don’t want to deal with Iphone modules, just say it and we’ll go to another editing software… I am a customer since 2009 with DxO OpticPro 6, we are in 2022 and I have DxO Photolab 5, when I search for Iphone modules, you stopped at Iphone X !!! Allo, anyone out there ?
That’s true I usually use my pro reflex camera but I also use my Iphone very often and can’t believe now that Iphone 14 is out, with 48Mpix, you still don’t support HEIC/HEIF files !!!

Can you please update this thread with your answer on the matter as we don’t hear from anyone from DxO since 2019… Or don’t close the other thread people open on this matter years after 2019 to get updates !
Regards

6 Likes

Hi,
I am new to this forum but old in using DxO products.
I was actually trying to find a way to edit my Iphone pictures (HEIC files) and can’t believe that having DxO PhotoLab 5, this is still not available in Iphone modules !!! What are you seriously doing in DxO ??? I could read many posts about this matter, you promised it for PL 2 and we are at the end of 2022, still nothing…
Can you please listen to customers, more than 3 years they are asking about it !

Please an update about this matter ???
TIA
Regards,

4 Likes

I hope DXO gets going now that the Sony A7R V use Heic format. Go on Dxo, Heic and Apple proraw must come….
You loose so many costumers….

4 Likes

The A7R V still uses the RAW format and even lossless compression.

and HEIC, or?

on the Sony Homepage:
HEIF (4:2:0/4:2:2) (Extra Fine/Fine/Standard/Light), RAW und JPEG, RAW und HEIF

I agree. Raw support is not enough! HEIC/HEIF support is needed.

3 Likes

RAW (many varieties), and TIFF, and JPEG.

Just buy PL6 and very disappointed with the lack of support from the HEIC …

Nobody use iPhone in the Dxo team ?

3 Likes

It is unfortunate you did test whether HEIC was supported during your 30-day free trial of PhotoLab… There are a lot of requests asking for this support.

Mark

I don’t think your answer is very commercial, especially for a user who has just invested.

To reassure you, I knew exactly what I was buying. HEIC would have been a plus.

If there is a lot of demand for this material, you know what you have to do.

best regards,

1 Like

You response is confusing. I am a user of DxO software just like you. Your response seems to suggest you think I work for DxO.

Mark

There is no RAW support for recent mobiles either. HEIF read (which is free, as far as I can tell, to software publishers) is also overdue.

2 Likes

So from Photolab 2 to 3 4 5 and now 6
And yet no support?
@Marie can you please confirm if this is a commercial licensing issue or technical?
There is now a version of heif based on vp9 which is free

1 Like

I feel it is worth pointing out, again, that HEIF is a container format which can hold many different types of data. Just because camera A produces HEIF and phone X produces HEIF does not mean the contents of their files will be anything alike.

Just as with RAW files, requests should be made to support devices. My DSLR can produce Pentax-native PEF files and out-of-camera DNG files and PhotoLab supports both file variations of my camera. PhotoLab does not support PEF files from my old *ist DS camera, and it does not support DNG files from, for example, VueScan (a request that has been made here).

Asking “for HEIF support” is more akin to asking “for RAW support” than “for JPEG support”.

3 Likes

I cannot believe this is STILL NOT SUPPORTED. Many of us photographers use iPhone mobile cameras and we need DXO to support the format now. I’ve come to rely on PhotoLab for all of my photo management and processing. Please get this done.

4 Likes