Hardware setup

A general Question:

This is regarding any ideas on how any of you may have discovered an ideal hardware set-up for using DXO PL 5E & FP 6E.

I have set mine up as follows, and it appears to be, 5 days in, operating quite well.

All software sits on Drive C:/ - I have the

What is your OS, your system (hardware … tower, laptop, drives, partitions …) & question?

…something seems to be missing.

… huh. Apparently, the most relevant part of that message failed to post. My apologies for that oversight.

OK then, here’s the part that is missing:

AMD/ASUS/NVIDIA system: RYZEN 7 32700X 8 Core CPU > ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming MOBO > 32 GB CORSAIR RAM > NVIDIA 3060 12 GB GDDR GRAPHICS

SSD’s > 1) C:/ 500 GB (All OS and ALL programs live here) 2) D:/ 1 TB Internal > ALL Image processing software PS, LR, TOPAZ Software Data, i.e., LR Catalog, BRIDGE Data, All PL5E, FP6E Data, LUMINAR 4 & NEO Data, ALL PL5E & FP6E Data, each & every in their individual respective folders 3) E:/ 2 TB M2 NVME bolted directly to the MOBO containing all my images 4) F:/ 1TB M2 NVME again, bolted directly to the MOBO and containing whatever else strikes me as being necessary/redundantly important in any moment.

OS = WIN 11 PRO (Updated & Current)

So, that’s it. That is the system I’m operating with at this time, and as many operational (hardware) details I can think of right now.

If you all see any changes that might improve throughflow, say so.

Thanks, MGBJAY

Hi Jay, just saw your notes …

Hardware looks good (don’t know about AMD), enough RAM, GPU is faster than my GTX1060 and you have fast drives installed. Make sure, you run defrag… regularly – and keep backups not on your machine.

I have everything OS and program related on C:\ (500GB M2 NVME), that includes all photo software, while things like Database + Cache (PL, ON1), LR’s catalogue(s) and … reside on another NVME for immediate access. Important personal data, downloads, pics etc are stored on a quiet & reliable datagrave.
To backup C:\ I use a program and everything else gets saved manually → see …

I am using Windows 11 and have my software on a 250 GB SSD. All of my data is on 2 mirrored 1TB SSD drives. Also have file history turned on (to an external drive) and use onedrive. Also back up images to Smugmug, and periodically take an image of my drives onto an external drive that I store
offsite. Works great.

FYI I don’t believe you need to defrag anymore with Windows 10. I think it is done automatically. In fact I am not sure about this, so feel free to correct me, but defragging may in fact shorten the life of an SSD. Not sure if it is relevant in real life though.

Yes, there is no need to defrag SSDs. Everything needed to maintain solid drives already taken care of by their controllers and OS.

Defragging an SSD will REDUCE the life span of the drive for absolutely NO benefit, so don’t do it!

An SSD drive should never be defragged.

Mark

If you have an SSD drive Windows should disable the built-in fragment function (the Analyze button should be grayed out for the drive under optimizations). Instead, windows periodically performs a trim function: What is Trim? | Crucial.com

While it may be possible a third-party tool may enable defragging, any tool not smart enough to recognize an SSD properly should never be used.

obviously I wasn’t clear enough about defrag →

Then also, anybody concerned about longevity should invest in Pro models → e.g. instead consumer hardware. – As usual, everything comes at a price.