Guidance Needed on Color Management to Send CR3 file From Lightroom to PL6 and Back

Ok, fair enuff !

In which case, you should definitely be using Soft Proofing, with its ICC Profile = sRGB (to match your intended target) … Otherwise, what you see within PL on your AdobeRGB monitor will not (necessarily) be what you get when you consume the exported result on an sRGB monitor.

Which then begs the rhetorical question; What’s the advantage of using a better-than sRGB-capable monitor for this purpose ? (I don’t know the answer to this, not having such a monitor myself).

John M

1 Like

@nwboater, as you want to use LR predominantly then you should consider using DxO’s PureRAW product which demozaics photos and applies DeepPRIME noise reduction and lens corrections then sends the result to LR for the remaining processing.

Many people use this setup very effectively which gives you an easy and streamlined workflow.

1 Like

There may be two downsides to that. First, PureRAW 2 does not yet support DeepPRIME XD, and second, unlike PhotoLab, PureRAW does not allow fine tuning of any of its adjustment tools.

Mark.

1 Like

Re soft proofing in PL - I thought that’s a non-issue since I won’t be doing any color adjustments in PL. I will only do optical and de-noising and then export as a linear DNG without rendering.

Even though most images will be exported as sRGB I wanted the ability to have higher quality for my printing, thus the Adobe RGB monitor. As mentioned, I will export, or re-export those in the highest quality available for the printer.

Thanks, Rod

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, Keith. Since I already own PL6 it made sense to use it, although in a very similar manner to how Pure Raw works. The advantage though is I will have the ability to do adjustments some of which I don’t think are available in Pure Raw.

Rod

1 Like

Ah, yes - - In that case, it won’t be an issue for your time in PL - True.

However, I’m guessing it must still be an issue for whatever you’re using instead for colour adjusts (LR ?) - That is, if you’re working on an AdobeRGB screen with intention to export to an sRGB target then, unless you Soft Proof for the sRGB target, what you see while adjusting colours on your AdobeRGB monitor will not (necessarily) be what you get when you consume the exported result on an sRGB monitor.

Yes, a completely different scenario for printing.

John M

1 Like

Thanks for this, John. What you are saying makes sense and could certainly be a glitch in my plan. On first thought it would seem that I need to use the monitor in sRGB mode (a simple selection) for the majority of my work since it will be exported in sRGB. Then re-edit in Adobe RGB on the monitor for the few prints I do I just got up but will have to spend some time today considering and researching this…

1 Like