Graphics Card Selection

I just upgraded to a Benq PD2700U and subsequently discovered my PC’s USB-C doesn’t support DisplayPort, so I’ll need help selecting a graphics card. I looked at DXO’s suggested system configuration for PL6 and see the NVIDIA RTX 2060 is an option. The question is which one?

1. ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2060 EVO OC Edition
    1365 MHz Core - Boostable to 1785 MHz
    1920 CUDA Cores
    Turing Architecture
    6GB of GDDR6 VRAM
    14 Gb/s Memory Speed
    192-Bit Memory Interface
    DisplayPort 1.4 | HDMI 2.0b | DVI
    7680 x 4320 Max Digital Resolution
    Dual Axial-Tech Fans

2. ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2060 EVO OC Edition
    Boostable to 1710 MHz
    1920 CUDA Cores
    Turing Architecture
    12GB of GDDR6 VRAM
    14 Gb/s Memory Speed
    192-Bit Memory Interface
    DisplayPort 1.4 | HDMI 2.0b | DVI
    7680 x 4320 Max Digital Resolution
    Dual Axial-Tech Fans

This will be my first GPU purchase and don’t understand the significance of all the specs. I don’t do any gaming and very little video editing. I just want to have 10 bit 4K capability.

1 Like

Hi Rex & happy New Year!

As another idea – have you tried yet with any of the available adapters ?

Maybe something like this https://www.amazon.de/DeLock-DisplayPort-Adapter-Type-C-Monitor-Schwarz-Rot/dp/B07FYLCG3S works or do you need it ‘the other way round’?

About this item

Connectors: 1 x DisplayPort 20 pin female > 1 x USB Type-C male
Chipset: Cypress
DisplayPort 1.2 specification
**Signal direction: DisplayPort input > USB Type-C output**
Resolution up to 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz (depending on the system and the connected hardware)

Looks like the signal direction is opposite of what I need.

I tried a USB-C to DisplayPort cable which didn’t work at all. Monitor showed “no signal” and PC couldn’t detect the monitor.

I stumbled upon a video from Benq that explained the inability of HDMI connection to provide true 10 bit support. I don’t know if an adapter supplied with a signal from a non DisplayPort source would provide full 10 bit 4K quality, but it seems like a true DisplayPort output from a GPU would.
It looks like the question to be answered is do I need 12GB of VRAM or is 6GB enough?
I’ll be using PL, Nik, FilmPack, and Helicon stacking software.

I can’t be sure that 6 GB VRAM will always be enough for you. Maybe it is. But it might help to know that HDMI is more capable than some older information indicates. See here:

What is HDMI 2.0b? - CNET

That said, I’ve had problems getting 10-bit or 12-bit RGB rendered correctly on my HDR10 projector over HDMI 2.0/2.1. I think it’s a Windows problem, since my Roku and 4K HDR disc player seem to display to the projector just fine over the same media. Not sure what’s going wrong. The HDMI bandwidth doesn’t appear to be a factor.

OK, 12GB it is.
Here’s the video, it seems as if the problem with HDMI is color depth, not resolution. My impression is HDMI will give you 4K, but fine color gradients are missing.

Well, it seems very few applications, including Windows itself, can display 10-bit color. I might have to spend good money to get one. Video is the way to test for free, and even that seems to be a challenge for me. But I’m pretty sure HDMI 2+ is fine for color depth, as long as you set your refresh rate properly.

UPDATE: I’ve confirmed all that and seem to have successfully tested my projector with the 10-bit video grayscale ramps here (using VLC Media Player):
HDR10 test patterns set | AVS Forum

Also with nVidia’s HDR SDK software and guidelines as described here:

Displaying HDR Nuts and Bolts | NVIDIA Developer

High Dynamic Range Display Development | NVIDIA Developer

A word of caution about gradients or ramps: dithering on 8-bit and 6-bit displays can give the impression that the display supports a high color bit depth due to a lack of posterization/banding. My understanding is that a good test will not dither, but rather will show clear steps along the ramp that are finer at the higher bit depths that are supported.

I get it now, some HDMI under specific circumstances can do 10 bit.

I prefer a direct DisplayPort to DisplayPort setup, B&H is sending an NVIDIA RTX 2060.

A friend in his new computer tried a RTX 2070 with 8 GB (very good) and after that a RTX 3090 with 24 GB (better). Now he is happy and never wants another.

:slight_smile:
and people used to buy a car for that price

1 Like

Indeed. He belongs to those people who have no problem with money.

1 Like

Egregius,
Thanks for the links, they look quite informative.

The Benq PD2700U is in operation driven by a 12GB ASUS Geforce RTX- 2060. Windows display status shows this:

The GPU driver installation went as expected, but when I attempted to install Benq’s monitor driver Windows said I already have the best driver installed which is “Generic PnP Monitor”. I sent an inquiry to Benq for clarification.

The monitor has several Picture Modes:
Rec.709
HDR
sRGB
CAD/CAM
Animation
Low Blue Light
Darkroom
User

Is sRGB best for photo editing?