Getting images from my memory card into PL4 - Workflow

One more option for me to consider. For now, having already purchased PhotoMechanic, I plan to stick with it.

I called the tech support number a few days ago - I wasn’t getting useable embedded images from my Leica M8.2, and when I clicked on the magnifier to show them larger, nothing happened. I can post a more detailed response if anyone wants me to do so, but Andrew at PhotoMechanic figured out what it was - the Leica M8 series cameras create tiny embedded JPG images in the raw files. They’re mostly useless for anyone checking sharpness or detail.

Andrew had me transfer the photos from the memory card to a temporary file on my computer, using a built in tool designed to take the raw image and create a “standard” DNG image, with a large embedded JPG image that I could use for review. It works with any DNG converter, but I selected my Adobe DNG Converter since I already had it installed.

When that finished, I could run PhotoMechanic again, selecting the temporary folder as the source, then renaming files and folders as I usually do, and everything end up in place, with large JPG images for reviewing. After this, the temporary folder can be deleted.

It works like a charm, but I only need it for images coming from my Leica M8.2 camera, which is also the only camera I have that works with infrared.

Back to your post - Is PhotoMove 2.5 free, Open Source, or paid for? Does it also run on macOS? Oh, and welcome to the forum!!!

No problem, and thanks for the update. For a while, I was creating very long file names and folder names, but now I think they’re a pain to work with. I don’t think what you mentioned was a problem, but for sure it won’t be now.

I actually took a break from PhotoLab 4 for a couple of weeks now - I wanted to create infrared images, along with channel mixing. My only camera that captures IR is my old Leica, which isn’t recognized by PL4.

So, I started using my DarkTable once again (just as nice, and just as easy to use as Lightroom), and also Raw Therapee - very powerful, but for me difficult to learn.

I came back to PL4 a few days ago, and all but one of my images came out the way I hoped they would in PL4, but for one, which had no “pop”. I may post that image here later today or tomorrow, to ask what PL4 tools would make it look better without “overdoing” it. Maybe I’ll get to that tonight.

Tomorrow I plan to go back to visit my Peican friends, this time with a Nikon using a long lens, and set up auto-focus to follow the pelican in flight (I hope). I’ll post my favorite image here, for advice. I hope to create something that is at least as powerful at showing the Pelican in flight.

Thanks Mike!

PhotoMove is paid for, but there is a free version to try it out and it will cost you all of $8.99!
It apparently works on Mac if you use Parallels or similar VM.