Generating preview

I named the card in my post, Scott.

You named the chip, but a number of OEMs build a card with that chip. I was asking which one you were using and whether the firmware supported display of the boot screen.

I am new to Mac PL2 and noticed exact the same issue of long “correction preview” step with v2.2.2 (thus I searched online and found this thread). There seems some issue in the preview caching logic. In the Library mode, if I go through the photo one by one, it takes a few seconds to finish “correction preview” for each photo, which is acceptable for first-time rendering to generate preview (and cache). Then If I move backward to the last previous photo, the rendering is instant, which makes sense as the preview should have been cached. HOWEVER, if I move backward further to another previous photo, it would take a few seconds to finish “correction preview” again, which indicates the preview cache seems to work for last single photo only but not more than one photos in this case. It is unrelated to cpu/gpu/etc. but just the cache behavior seems weird which may indicate possible caching bugs.

3 Likes

I have notified such behaviour with the recent builds, I can’t remember with which build number it starts but the difference was blatant, and unfortunately it makes working with PL not as pleasant as before. Is there a way to report the lags to DxO ?

For information, I’m using PL on a 2018 MacBook Pro (i7 2.6GHz, 16Go RAM, 512 SSD) and I didn’t encounter this issue before.

3 Likes

Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8192 MB RAM, device ID 0x67df. No it doesn’t support boot but this is a real Apple Silver Tower so there’s no special initialisation or kexts required for full support. The card does occasionally throw a single frame reset on the 4K monitor if frame rates disagree seriously enough with video playback or multiple applications struggling over the graphics card. It can days without doing so as well.

2 Likes

Can we tag this post with “bug” as Tom suggested please? There is clearly some bug causing preview cache not to work and we can get repro of the issue 100% times. The long preview lag bug can be a deal breaker for many users, Hope DXO can take a look. Thanks.

3 Likes

Please test after temporarily switching to a default theme. If that doesn’t help, please switch your theme back and and temporarily disable all plugins and test again—if the problem is still happening for you at that point, please ask to re-open this issue walgreenslistens.

Default theme for … what? PL2 has themes? And plugins, you mean like FilmPack and ViewPoint? Not sure I see how these would be impacting this issue. I do have both of those.

I’m still seeing PL2 not responding to changes in the edit controls. It is impossible to predict but it shows up as making a change of some sort, and seeing no updates on the screen.

Hi, Just checking back as I’m evaluating PL2, and more than anything else, the fuzzy previews start to bother me after navigating through a few photos.
Is there a way to make PL2 save the previews in a cache? I am scared to even suggest this, because of the horrendous mess that cache causes in other softwares. But… fuzzy wait…

Maybe, PL2 could allow me to select a batch of images, generate a preview cache for them, so that I could navigate through just that set faster? It doesn’t have to be zippy for all my hundreds or thousands of photos at one go.

3 Likes