Fx Section Photolab 6

That was not a summer/winter sale but regular discounts when purchasing the 3 program suite. The only time it differed was during Black Friday/Christmas sales. I used last spring as an example to separate it from the current holiday pricing. I could just as easily said last summer or last winter.

Mark

I was quite surprised that a creative vignette tool isn’t available. It’s a standard feature in most editing software, so a strange one to miss out. I do use it quite often when using Lr

I have tried creating a vignette using a control point inverted. This doesn’t really work as it effects too much of the image. Even inverted it effects the centre of the image

Thanks again to everyone, problem was a new PC on which, because I never use it as such, I hadn’t installed my copy of Film Pack. Now done and the creative vignette is now back in its rightful place in the fx tab.
Given what people have said about Film Pack I must experiment with it so my ignorance has had a benefit after all.!!

Neil

3 Likes

zoom out and try with a really big range (Luma + Chroma → 0) to see if it makes a difference for you

Thanks for the tip but I have tried that. If you increase the radius outside of the image it does help but still affects all of the image (toggle off/on) including the centre and it’s not really a vignette effect.

Well, you could add another CP to bright up the center or where ever you want. *)
I’ve done that too, but didn’t mention …

For me, the ever best solution is in Nik tools CEP 4/5 → Darken/Lighten Centre
( working with JPG or TIF-files or as PlugIn for PS )

grafik Screen Shot 12-14-22 at 10.48 AM
in CEP 4 // 5

where you have the Center Luminosity.

These attempts can give you a soft ‘invisible’ vignette to direct the viewers attention
without being noticed as a vignette. → “The best edit is when you don’t see it.”

But as always, there is not only one solution. :slight_smile:

*) or rise the general exposure by a little

1 Like

Thanks again for the tips

I’ve migrated over from the darkside (Lightroom) and am used to completing a vignette in literally a couple of secs, a very quick and simple task. The controls for vignette aren’t dissimilar in function to what you have just posted. It feels unnecessarily long winded to use another app for this imho

1 Like

I would agree but if you can get an old or new version of Film Pack it then becomes seamless.
I still think though that it’s nonsense not to have it in Photolab

3 Likes

The best workaround I’ve found is to brush an arc into the 4 corners, feather 100%, lower exp to suit. Comes out quite nice and doesn’t adjust the whole image

So do I have to purchase filmpack to be able to access the vignette function. It used to be under fx.
Any help appreciated

Creative Vignetting has always been a part of Filmpack and has always required a Filmpack license. That you had access to it previously but not now would suggest that you need to activate your filmpack license from within Photolab.

2 Likes

Thanks for this idea. I find it much better than the creative vignetting option, which Is not feathered enough to my taste. The approach using control points gives a lot more control and nuance, and yes, one can add a second control point next to the first, if needed…

1 Like

Thank you for this tip. I’ve tried it on several photos but I’m somewhat disappointed with the result.

I agree with you. I find it unacceptable having to purchase Filmpack to gain access to a vignette that darkens. And yet somehow, this collective feels that it’s “normal” to purchase Filmpack to gain access to a feature that is standard in every other RAW editor? I tried Wolfgang’s suggestion and while I appreciate the workaround, it’s not what I’m looking for.

I will continue to use my perpetual (and aging) version of LR 6.14. I will welcome DXO providing a “proper” and full featured vignette capability in a future release of Photolab elite. And I will happily reinstall/upgrade to this elite release without having to purchase an add-on.

… modify the size of that inverted CP and play with the opacity. :slight_smile:

For me the easiest & best solution is contained in Nik ColorEfexPro

grafik
( shown here in the Nik 5 version )

as at the same time one can adjust the Centre Luminosity
and get an ‘invisible’ vignette (difficult in FP),

whereas in PL one needs an extra control point.

The whole PhotoLab suite is the complete raw editor. All the features of FilmPack and Viewpoint are already built in to it. The reason that you need separate licenses for FilmPack and Viewpoint is to give more inexpensive options for users who don’t want or need the features in those products, or cannot afford the full suite. DXO could have made a single version of PhotoLab Elite with all those features available, but then the cost of PhotoLab would be significantly more expensive to accommodate all that additional functionality. If you want all the features that PhotoLab has to offer, then you need to buy the entire suite. It’s as simple as that.

Mark

It would indeed have been a more than exaggerated price for such a software, isn’t it ? I think it would have become unsoldable !

I too have filmpack and only use the Frame function of it (and only plain white or black frame).
And I even can’t choose any thickness I want (0 isn’t 0 pixels), nor the color I want (black or white - nothing else) !!! VERY EXPENSIVE VERY INCOMPLETE FUNCTION !!! Isn’t it ???
Looks like an old heritage put there because available without any desire to make it evolve (only to make it usable on new hardware).
Honnestly, who needs to create old fashioned pictures ? This is a very very little niche.

Dxo commercial strategy is not very friendly but rather aggressive in a bad way.

True, to get the full function you need PL Elite, Film Pack and ViewPoint. In the UK at retail that comes to £417 which is quite expensive, makes Capture One at £299 not so bad :slight_smile:

Great, idea. Better than vignette option PL normally comes with.

1 Like

I was testing the trial version of Filmpack to create borders, but I was so disappointed by it, that I decided not to purchase it. There is no way to create borders with a different aspect ratio than the image, such a basic function.

I really don’t understand this separation either. Isn’t there already PL6 and PL6 Elite for separation? Basically PL6 Elite is just the basic version. In PL6 they have at least added some function from Viewpoint. Let’s hope that they will do the same with some basic functions from Filmpack (like vignette, contrast, black and white color filters, …). These are basic functions.