FP6 Essential: Provia 400X rendering issue

Hi there,

I recently purchased FilmPack 6 Essential and my work environment is PL5 Essential (I do not use FP6 Standalone).

In PL5, I applied the Fuji Provia 400X color rendering preset to a RAW image from my Panasonic GM1. You can see the result below – the greens are very yellow and saturated. All in all the greens shifted to yellow in a very unnatural way. Is that normal and to be expected?

The comparison image (left) is the RAW default (DxO Standard preset applied).

I Can’t quite believe that this rendering behaviour is supposed to be an approximation of the real film stock. Can anyone w/ real Film experience chime in? Is Provia 400X supposed to shift towards yellow that much?

There is a slighty greater emphasis on yellow depending on the image content. These are screen shots. The original already has some yellow.
Mark

Before. Provia 400X applied.

After. Provia 400X applied.

Can I ask why you chose Provia 400X? I tried the film for my LF work and didn’t like it at all, due to its colour cast. My memory is that it was more green but others report various casts, possibly depending on the development process. You could always reduce the intensity to see if that helps.

If you want an excellent Fuji transparency film, try Velvia 100 (not the F variant). It gives a mildly saturated, neutral rendering. I have a freezer full of discontinued LF film and, for colour work, in my opinion, Velvia 100 takes some beating.

Don’t forget, you can always adjust the tint if needed.

Thank you for posting the example, mwsilvers!

I can see the difference between the two images you posted, but it is subtle to my eyes and definitely subtler than my example – the second one is less saturated?

I forgot to add that I took the picture yesterday – the grass you see is fresh spring grass which is naturally bright and kinda saturated. All straight OOC, with the usual default RAW processing applied. The OOC image is much closer to reality.

I was just wondering if a deviation from reality this large was accepted back then in the old film days ? Makes me appreciate the color accuracy we have now (and take for granted!) even more to be honest :slight_smile:

Joanna – I was/am looking for a film color profile which works well for everyday outdoor shooting, so that’s just something I’ve noticed while experimenting with various settings and profiles.

Actually, Provia 100F and Ektar 100 are my favourites among the “real deal” film profiles. My go-to for most circumstances nowadays when I want pictures to have a kind-of filmish look without going too far into the analog domain is the Fujifilm Provia digital simulation which has a slight greenish cast but is easily corrected.

Do you mean the “Generic Velvia 100” profile? Yes, that one is good as well, albeit a bit saturated, but it might work well in certain circumstances. As you said, tint/saturation can be corrected.

I guess when all is said and done I will stick with one of the aforementioned profiles. Provia 100F in particular is one of my favourites. I thought Provia 400X could be a substitute in those cases when a bit more saturation is called for, but I guess just using Provia 100F w/ the saturation cranked up a notch is the safer (color tint-wise) option.

Not knowing your age, but did you do much film photography? Film can be nowhere near as consistent as its digital counterpart. Although digital emulation doesn’t always get things perfect.

Yes, but if you find that too saturated for your taste, try Astia 100, which has a very “flat” coloration - often used for catalog and print matching.

@Joanna, keep in mind that @indigo76 is using FilmPack Essential, which includes around half of the film types of the Elite version. Since I have never used that version, I have no idea which film types may be unavailable.

Mark

1 Like
1 Like

Hi Joanna, I think that list is for the elite version. There is no mention that I can find of which specific films are left out of the essential version. I have no idea as I too have only used the elite version except FP3 essential but that’s too old to make a comparison.

1 Like

I’ve attached the list of color positive and color negative films available in FilmPack Essential here:

Hope that clears things up a bit!

Well yes, I did, some 13 years ago – but only a few rolls, mainly Provia 100F, Superia 200 and Ektar 100. The simulations of Provia 100F and Ektar 100 I find pretty convincing; Superia 200 is not very colour accurate, but that may be a reflection of the original analogue film stock.

Thanks for the tip! Yes, I’m going to make presets for the “Generic” film profiles so that I can see their effect in the preview without having to dive into menus. The Essential version only has a few built-in presets so I have to make presets myself for the profiles I like.

Any colour rendering, film simulation, preset … can only be a start, but you are on the right track now.