Focusplane marker?

Does anyone ever used a post focusplane mask/marker in a processing application?

When you in manualfocus-mode the camera can show with a color what’s in focus and what not. Focus Peaking.
But when i used a burst to get something fast moving and want to find the shot which i was aming for, i have to zoom in every image to find the one which is the " nailed it " one.
I was thinking why can’t i use a focus peaking tool to browse through all those burst’s to fast and quick select the focussed one on the right part. and delete “the missed it” one’s
like to use to select focusbrackets before loaded in a stacker.
or use it to find pinpoint (spot on crispy focus) on object.
And in landscape images you can use focus bracketing to select later the DoF place.

Why? well almost everything is correctable except out of focus error by misplaced DoF or motionblur.

if this feature is working it can be used to get the tool focusstacking on the map and stitching and highresolutionstacking… far away in the future…

Apparently not.
So post focus peaking isn’t a tool people need or use?
for me, i would like the possible feature to use a blinkie to view focus area in a image.
(same as highlight clipping and shadowclipping does)
It makes finding and choosing frames in focusbracketing or identical frames in different Aperture choose the best one easier.

Hi OxIDant,

Your idea is not very common, however I can imagine its utility. The question is, how much engineer hours should take to get valuable result. Actually the noise reduction is the only procedure, which recalculate all pixels based on contrast difference. Probably it should be once in the targeted development.
The motion blur correction is more complicated, especially if not the whole image having same movement. It would be great, but recently I do not know any well working solution.

Endre

I thought i said:

But if you can your my hero!.
What would work for misplaced DoF (too small) is reverse mask on focus peaking and stacking a burst together like focus stacking. But in motionblur the pixels don’t line up.

How many hours i don’t know, but i know it is done.
I see it as a longterm development as like panorama stitching and focusstacking and highresolutionstacking.
(as FP got more NIKcollection then there is room for a stack and stitch module.)

FYI: Focus peaking is available in “Fast Raw Viewer” : https://www.fastrawviewer.com/
… the intended purpose of this tool being as a way to quickly evaluate and select RAW files, before processing.

eg.

John M

Hi John.

What a nice discovery. I did use Fast Raw Viewer - as its name describe - and never dig in to other features. After your advice, I tested it to get the focus area highlighted. It works.
Could you inform me about what is the green and the red emphasis meaning ?

Endre

Great to hear that you found that useful, Endré.

The red & green colours are user-definable - I have used the default colours. So, in my case (according to the user manual);

• Red highlights areas with plenty of sharp details
  • Green highlights contrast details

Related comment:
I use 3-4 different tools in managing my images - Fast Raw Viewer being just one of them.

That’s why my interest in PhotoLab is focused on it simply being the best RAW processor and correction tool that it can be … without DxO developers getting “bogged down” in efforts to make it capable of doing everything.

Regards, John M

1 Like

More on this: I reckon the sharp details (in Red) is the most useful analysis tool.
eg. Here’s an image that’s not quite in focus - as best indicated by the “Red” version;

John M

Dear John,

Thanks your advice.

Endre

looked at the price and its a lot cheaper to buy then developingcost for dxo.

Can you tell me which differences it has of faststone image viewer?
(i know that it actually viewing the embedded jpeg of the raw not the raw.)

thanks

I don’t know “faststone” (but I’m assuming it’s an alternative viewer ?)
See the Fast Raw Viewer site (link above) for access to the manual.

With Fast Raw Viewer you are seeing a basic rendition of the actual RAW file … You can also choose to see the embedded jpeg, if you wish to do so.

John M

Hi John,

Watching the online user manual of Fast RAW Viewer, it is clear now how the contrast differences are treated. Frankly speaking, this is the form of manual I prefer. It is explaining the connected features in the proper section, like it. It seems the focus peaking is not a very complicated software part ( from my chair ). Nice idea, it would elevate the DPL reputation anyhow. It should help to evaluate the quality of the image in advance of the editing.

Thanks again

Endre

Ok should this mean that i ask @sgospodarenko to move this thread to the “which feature do you need”? So it can be logged?

Yes, that is the proper way. Just copy the main request to new thread there. Theoretically, a voting system existing there, but its usability is limited. Every user has 5 votes only, which are normally placed to another older requests, therefore only newcomer should add any positive support.

Endre

Nice idea, it would elevate the DPL reputation anyhow. It should help to evaluate the quality of the image in advance of the editing.

The problem is that it would emphasize the delay in displaying each setting. IMO, in PL this it is slow enough that it’s innapropriate for culling missed shots.
My workflow is to copy card to PC[edit PL[/edit], FRV to quickly cull, PF for first edit, if it needs more, export to Photoshop.

If PL introduced the feature, it would have to be incredibly good (or display speed would have to be loads faster) to get me to switch away from FRV for culling.
So… I don’t think it’s an appropriate place for DxO to put developer resources. It might even be a dis-feature, putting more emphasis on display speed.

it is already in backlog.

yes you could be right for fast culling it could be too slow for most. because its correcting every image you select before you see it.

But as helptool its just fine.

i have several times two or three identical shots taken in burst or in different apertures and then i can utilize this feature.

I have to resist in respect of the slow down the operation. If you have look on the Highlights / Black appearance speed, those are immediate. No delay at all. This calculation of the focus peaking is a similar mono-color image. If the first filtering takes time, the user should decide to wait or do not use the feature. Same as the full size preview or Local Adjustments. Both takes longer time, but the user have a choice whether it worth to wait or not.
The Filmstrip thumbnail rendering is a different story. There are many details and images have to calculate. Itis a decision of the Product Owner about what to display? there is 3 choices: A/ Embedded low res preview with geometric revision only ( the thumbnails should be dark, bad colored, distorted, etc.) B/ last cached image or C/ start to render the image with visible tools involved ( without noise reduction, CA, vignetting, sharpen tools ). Actually the third version is running. Reduce the rendering time the PC hardware improvement should help only.

Endre

1 Like

Hi Bob,

For clarification: what is “PF” ?

Rather than exporting to Photoshop - have you tried export to Nik Collections ?

John

For clarification: what is “PF” ?

Sorry typo I should’a caught. PL not PF. fixed now - put the fix in edit blocks as you’d already asked me about it.

Rather than exporting to Photoshop - have you tried export to Nik Collections ?

I’ve been using Photoshop since the late 80s - and tend to think in layers rather than adjustment points. For that matter, if adjustment points were not limited to a single rate of gradation*, I’d be more likely to use them.

*consider a virtual ND filter. Would you not want to be able to adjust how hard/soft the edge might be? AFAIK, I can’t do this in ACR, but I can in PS. It’s either not in NIK - or I haven’t found it.

1 Like