Focus stacking

I propose to include the possibility for focus stacking

i voted , but i think implementation of a difficult thing as alignment of multiple images isn’t in the near future. There bussy with improvement of local correction and other things as DAM.

But if we don’t bring it up it will never be backlogged.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hello,

If Focus stacking = Focus picking, then it’s already in the backlog (plans).

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Focus Peaking is a tool for revealing focused area’s.
Focus Stacking is multiple images with decending focus planes stacked together for front to back focus.
The first one is handy for selecting images to stack.
second one multiple images combined together to one image i use combine zp with 16bit tiffs.

i suspected he talks about stacking.

Ok, thanks.
Then it’s a separate request as it is :+1:

Exactly. DXO is my main tool for developing pictures but i hate to switch to so many other tools like HDR, Focus stacking, picture comparism, picture management etc. Speaking openly: if I wouldn´t hate Adobe even more, I would have switched already to their product,

1 Like

Somehow this thread became a duplicate of the one quoted below that deals with a HDR feature request. But this thread then became a request for all multi-shot editing possibilities, i.e. HDR / Focus stacking and panorama stitching. Today’s DPReview’s test of PL4 also points these missing features in PL4.

Please refer to this thread:

Any plans to introduce a focus stacking tool to PhotoLab.

1 Like

It’s been suggested before (with a good number of votes) - but so far I haven’t seen DxO confirm any plans to add this capability.

2 Likes

I have the Nikon D850 and would like to use the photo stacking / photo shift tool inside DxO PhotoLab without any other software. That would be great!

a small motivation for the DxO development team: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

i bought this extra program (Silkypixv10 pro for panasonic) specially for this and for some other things to test out if it’s interesting as colorproofing and how things are organised. (i want to be single program guy most of the time, better to understand 1 application very well then dozens half.)

Ok back to a feature request.
DoF stacking or focusstacking a very commen way to enhance DoF at a cost of artefacts (by moving parts or misalignment.)
i used a tripod to overcome the latter, the first is timing avoid wind, movement. and for fun a extention tube set 10 and 16mm. one by one and as 26mm.
i used 4k video focus stacking on camera and in post to see the difference.
like these:

how?
see this videoclip
I do fairly basic editing, no final things as sharpening and toning so i can do this on the composed 16bit tiff.
(i throw away the source tiffs and the burst rawfiles when i am done , only keep the composed tiff as source.)
examples
single focus:

stacked out 7.

single focus:

maybe unplesent;

stacked:

(no ant.)
an other attempt.

26mm extender tube on

ok someone got’s bored so i stop:

DxOstaff, Remember (focus)stacking is mostly fun! For most of us. Some use it professionally and then they need some extra alignment tools and pre stacking artefacts removal toolset ( if you are very keen you copy paste from an other image to the next so the artifact isn’t happening due altering the source files. but that’s an other request i believe… :thinking: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )
But for starters a feature as shown above in the video is enough.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I do not know if the software is still at the top nowadays but I remember https://www.heliconsoft.com/ as a great tool for focus stacking.

I added my vote because in the Nikon Z series there is a built-in feature to take the necessary pictures in an automated way. (Camera will change focus, take picture, change focus, take another picture…). Here an article about it.

Yes i know.
Helicon software is quite good. A guy on DPR is using it alot. Macroshots of insects.
When i use my SP10 version it works very easy.
Point of concern is how far and detailed must DxO go for “rudimentair” stacking abilities?
As far as SP go’s? Or more manual adjusting features? Or patching/clone for correction?
I think there plate is quite full on the building of the DAM (it isn’t finished yet) and some feature’s or feature updates for release of v5.
The amount of votes (36) shows we all would like stacking abilities. So maybe were lucky and it’s on top of the todo pile. :grin:

Only DxO really know what they are doing.
We can only speculate and be wrong or right.
Maybe their team is growing every day ?
I am not willing to limit our wishes because we think it will never happen :grin:

About focus stacking, it could be a paying option like ViewPoint for example… not everyone needs it.
It could also be a partnership to get best of two worlds.

There is multiple software that can do this, while some are specialized like Helicon Focus or Zerene Stacker, it can also be done in Photoshop and Affinity Photo.

here’s a list of paid and open source options:

paid option:

-Zerene Stacker
zerenesystems.com/cms/stacker

-Helicon Focus
www.heliconsoft.com/

open source option:

-CombineZP
combinezp.software.informer.com/

-PICOLAY
www.picolay.de/download.htm

-Chasys Draw IES
chasys-draw-ies.en.softonic.com/

-Image J
imagej.nih.gov/ij/download.html

-TuFuse
www.tawbaware.com/tufuse.htm

1 Like

Paid option but not expensive is Affinity Photo

1 Like

Zerene stacker is gone from freeware to paied.
Combinezp is it’s spinoff, older cousin.
I used combinezp for those moments i needed stacking.
Works with tiffs and jpegs.

Now i use my SPv10 pro for panasonic. Direct rawfile, if i had full version i could feed the dng out dxopl.
So edit and export 16tff out dxopl and run them through either combinezp or SPv10.
SPv10 is easier and has more types of stacking.
Combinezp is win98 look and i think as old as win98 :yum: and is probably more configurable by hand if you know what you are doing.

Yep, both Zerene stacker (never seen it free) and Helicon are about 200$ usd.

I do the same, basic in PL and send them as .tiff or .jpeg for stacking. Results differ from Zerene or Helicon, then it’s just a matter of retouching.