Focus stacking

Why can’t DXO put in a stacking feature in Photolab?

Because there is other important work to do to improve :laughing:

At the moment I decided to use Affinity photo for focus stacking

best regards

6 Likes

What is your workflow for stacking/stitching? I’m particularly interested in maximizing PL’s tools that work on RAW images before exporting them to TIFF files for use in stacking (or stitching) software.

For example, should I
*import RAW images into PL
*make minor adjustments (e.g. basic universal adjustments to exposure, tones, cropping, etc.), copying adjustments to each image
*export images to TIFF while applying DEEP Prime
*stack (or stitch) the TIFF images
*import the resulting TIFF file
*fine tune global adjustments, apply local adjustments, repair tool, etc.
*export final image to JPG or TIFF for printing.

What am I getting wrong or missing?

Rp

When I stitch panoramas I always use RAW and export noise and optical corrections only to 16-bit TIF files for stitching. I then do all other editing back in PL.

3 Likes

That is my workflow. I develop the RAW files as TIFFs before sending to Affinity Photo. Works pretty well. I do some of the local adjustment and repair when preparing the TIFFs as this is my last chance to work with PhotoLab on the panorama. Any additional touchup or exposure work done on the merged file is done in Affinity Photo.

I’ve found it difficult to tweak the merging while in progress in Affinity Photo (I wanted to set a different border for the merge). As I’d made the mistake of not using M mode when shooting this ad-hoc two photo panorama, it wasn’t possible to just paint the section in.

Affinity Photo was able to merge the very slightly different exposures convincingly on its auto-generated merge. Some time soon I’ll have to do a deep dig on the Affinity Photo Panorama tools for more control of the merge process.

PhotoLab’s RAW tools are so much better than Affinity Photo (although v2 seems better) that the RAW development should definitely be done ahead of time in PhotoLab.