Flip image horizontally and vertically

That’s the same for me. To hijack someone else’s thread is simply not right. Answering a foreign threat in a different language than the original one is impolite and rude. So, she could also use a translator and stick with the original language of the original post.

You see the problem? Once again you’ve used the wrong English word. "Answering a foreign threat " is translated into German as “Antwort auf eine ausländische Bedrohung”

The correct English for what you wanted to say is very different - “Replying to a thread written in another language” translate via Deepl as “Auf ein Thema antworten, das in einer anderen Sprache geschrieben wurde”, which reverse translates as “Replying to a topic written in another language”. Please consider using Deepl to save being misunderstood (Bitte verwenden Sie Deepl, damit Sie nicht missverstanden werden.)

This is a multilingual site. Most of us who have been here for a while seem to have no problem dealing with the language diversity.

Mark

1 Like

Thanks to Guenterm

Any answare from the staff of DXO about flip and rotations in the future ???

• Should be in the future :slight_smile:

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Ah, but in these days of parallel realities, which future? :wink:

4 Likes

We’ll see :wink:

Flipping an image is a basic and very important function. The coding must be really easy (invert position values of all pixels in one axis only, plus adding a tab) so there’s no good reason it should take so long. It’s been requested for a very long time now. Please can we have it soon?

1 Like

The code is simple. But how to combine that with editing? All the pixels will have new coordinates. That might be difficult in a parametric editor.

George

1 Like

I get a feeling one of the difficulties could well be that people will end up wanting to have virtual copies in different flip states, which is really going to push the rendering engine, calculating more than one at the same time for the thumbnails.

Check this out: B&W - Use HSL instead of Channel Mixer

I’d forgotten about that. Neat idea.

But the current version of PL already has the feature of rotating an image. So with rotating all the pixels will have new coordinates. I think that’s not different when flipping.

1 Like

You’re right.

George

1 Like

Some say it’s a complicated task, but as far as I understand it is not necessary to recalculate the position of individual pixels, they all change as a block. The first left becomes the last left, the second left becomes the second last left. Equivalent if it is a vertical flip. I don’t see the difficulty. Or am I wrong?

An even easier implementation would be to make the “flip-process” the last step (after all other corrections have been applied) … then there’d be no need for any coordinate recalculations at all.

John M

Mathematically, a flip is easier than a rotation in rectangular coordinates. If DxO have been able to program a rotation, they should be able to program a flip…unless the OS resources provide rotation, but not flipping.

Here is an example where horizontal and vertical flip would be very useful. I have some very old negatives to scan and a lot of them I don’t know the correct orientation until after converting to positive. The problem is that I can only place the film that is kept in the roll in a certain position. All the photos, however, turn out to be scanned on the “wrong” side and I should flip them horizontally. Well DxO does not offer this feature which has become commonplace for all image processing and management software. So I have to do this with another software, the trouble remains with the RAW format which practically cannot be saved after flipping or rotating

News FLASH: PL6 has this capability but requires a VP4 license to activate it.

4 Likes