Filtering - deselect all filters or quickly select only one item with Option+click

OK, please at least that new action that do the opposite of Reset.

Thanks.

Jiri K.

1 Like

Heheheh. I used to love it when managers and sales people would blithely “promise” this or that feature in a short time frame and they would wonder why we fell about laughing when they told us what they wanted.

Then you hit the reality of the 3½ day (constructive) argument that I and my colleague had over a framework design decision. Yes, it took that long, but the end result was something so amazing we were both going like “Wow!”. And it not only solved the immediate problem, it laid the groundwork for a major part of the rest of the product.

Totally agreed. And change the Reset action to Select all as John suggested.

Now that really shouldn’t take long to implement :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I do agree that just changing the ‘Reset’ btn to ‘Select All’ is going to be faster than working on the whole redesign of the filtering menu, but even in this case, at this stage we prefer to spare the time needed for this change and use it somewhere else where there is a bigger chance to add even more value to the user…

I dare to say that I know well how the desktop applications are programmed (20 years in the field). Therefore I didn’t suggest any complex redesign, but only this simple feature to detect “option/alt” is down. And if it is down, then filter exactly only the item on which the user clicked. I’m sorry, but implement that, might not be job for more than one hour. If not, it must be something very bad in the code, or maybe the programmer who made the filtering is not working in DXO anymore and no one want to touch it, or some manager decided not to change anything before new version, maybe other reason. In case of any developer in company I’m working in, tells me that it’s more than one hour, I’d consider keeping him on the team, unless he gives me a very good reason and explanation.

I like DXO PL and when I came to this forum it looks like DXO is the company who listen to their customers who can suggest and vote for new features. My topic was very quickly voted to top ten requests and I thought it’s great that users can affect changes in program and it’s not like dinosaur companies like Adobe. But now I’m not sure about that…

As for now it seems like this topic is postponed to new major version, so you can close it and let us be surprised next fall.

Regards,
Jiri K.

1 Like

Backward is the key here. If I uncheck everything and then just choose, let’s say, RAW file, none of my photos appear. Counterintuitive it is.
Thanks Steven

1 Like

I don’t get if your “Thanks Steven” is sarcastic of something :wink: :rofl:

Anyway, as said before on this forum (not just in this thread), this menu is indeed made backward, and this is why we want to fix it. Personally, I ignore the reasons behind the current filtering menu, it seems to date a few years back and the people who could answer this question do not work at DxO anymore… Basically, I just have the same info as you. The only thing I know is that this feature is a huge pain for our users and a major problem for a photographer’s workflow.

3 Likes

Sorry, I can see how you got that impression.
You show up, you help, you give us hope, so, yes, thank you for that.
I am not here to be sarcastic.

1 Like

OK, no problem!
PS/ you are allowed to be sarcastic on this forum if you want to :wink:

I will abstain from doing it anyway. I’ve been a beta tester for Blender and I learned how hard programmers must work, so we can take advantage of the tools they afford us.
So ? Thank you Steven. :smiley:

I wouldn’t say it’s a complete “waste of space”, Steven … For example, the ability to filter out images already processed is very useful (such as when selecting a group of images for Export).

John M

2 Likes

I’m not talking about available options (they are OK), but about how they were implemented :wink:
That’s the problem for me :joy: :laughing: !

1 Like

Yes! I’m a new user and was completely confused by this. Start with nothing checked and then let us check off what we’d like to see.

1 Like

Yes, we are aware of its counterintuitive design and it will be improved in the future.

For heaven’s sake, Steven, just fix terrible filtering with at least a disable all so all your users don’t have to spend two minutes declicking every option to drill down. Two minutes that we are cursing DxO under our breath as we work.

Right now the filtering is extremely awkward. If it were my software I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night with this easy a fix left undone. Putting any improvement off to the next major version for marketing reasons is a hideous decision, guaranteed to lose DxO more users than gain users.

Most of us like and trust the DxO brand for not playing these kind of games. DxO enjoys a great deal of customer goodwill. It’s a shame to waste it.

1 Like

@StevenL Please Steven, at this point, the future should be now. All that needs to be done to make the Photolab Image Browser 3x more useful is a one-click “Deselect All” option right below the ‘Reset’ button:

I start to suspect that DxO is deliberately leaving image browser filtering broken to force an update at some future point. My computers stop at Mojave so it looks like DxO plans to cut me off with Photolab 4. If the deselect all feature is added (three years later than it should be) in Photolab 5 and Photolab 5 won’t run on Mojave, I won’t get it at all.

Please add a simple “Deselect All” option right below the “Reset” option. This is the simplest feature in the world and would make the Photolab image browser so much more useful with a single line of code.

PS. After waiting patiently for two years and purchasing every DxO upgrade and new product during that period, until a ‘Deselect All’ option is added to Photolab, I plan to postpone any further investment in DxO software.

2 Likes

I have just installed PL 5 trial and announced reworked filtering system is the same as was, without any changes. Moreover there is no native Apple Silicon support. So upgrade is not interesting for me.

1 Like

I have just installed PL6 and there is again nothing new in filtering system. Or miss I anything?

1 Like

The filters have been significantly reworked.

Mark

Filtering works slightly differently in PL6. Each section is ANDed with all other sections and each item in each section is ORed with all others in that section.

1 Like

Oh, thank you! It look much better.