Filmpack 6 Elite presets for use within PhotoLab are now available!

ADDENDUM: Please note that on January 4th, it came to my attention that DXO added partial presets for the seven new Fuji Digital films, the six new Cinematic films and Kodak EIR to the DXO Filmpack Designer - Color folder.

However, It appears that DxO’s versions may have additional options selected so they may not be as “partial” as the ones I uploaded. As a result some people may decide it is not necessary to install the Digital and Cinematic folders, included my download, in order to access presets for those 14 film types. I leave that up to individuals to decide if they want duplicate presets for those specific film types

I hope this hasn’t caused any confusion.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Before I continue I want to first give a huge thank you to @Joanna for creating the partial presets for the new film types DxO has added to Film Pack 6, I couldn’t find the time to create them while repairing my home after flood damage from Hurricane Ida in the USA at the beginning of September Happily those repairs are now close to completion.

Many of you are familiar with, and use, my 82 FilmPack 5 Elite film type partial presets. With the release of FilmPack 6 Elite there were 15 new presets added for a total of 97. They include 7 new Fuji film types in the new Digital Films folder, 6 new color effects film types in the new Cinematic Films folder, and 2 new film types in the Color Positive Films folder, including Kodak EIR and Impossible PX600 Silver Shade.

Impossible PX600 Silver Shade is a bit hard to characterize and even DxO had a problem deciding where to put it. In the Windows version they added it in with the Black & White film types and in the Mac version they added it in with the Color Positive film types. After a discussion with @joanna and DXO’s @StevenL, I have decided to leave Impossible PX600 Silver Shade.with the Color Positive film types, as implemented in the Mac version. This film type contains some very desaturated yellow/greens even though it may also appear to be monochrome depending on an image’s content. I guess that is why it is Impossible! :grinning:

If you have installed the original four folders I created for the FilmPack 5 Elite presets, I suggest deleting those folders and replacing them with these six new folders. Not only have the folder names changed for FilmPack 6, but I also removed the TM symbols from the file names since a few people indicated that symbol created a file management issue for them.

Feel free to use and share with others. If the DXO staff finds these presets useful I give them permission to use them for any purpose except for sale as a separate plug-in. Of course, using these presets will only work in PhotoLab if FilmPack 6 Elite is installed. They will work the same in both the Windows and Mac version. Please let me know if there are any issues with them

Preset folders in the attached DXO FilmPack 6 Elite Presets zip file.
FilmPack - Black & White Films (38 presets)
FilmPack - Cinematic Films (6 presets)
FilmPack - Color Negative Films (16 presets)
FilmPack - Color Positive Films (28 presets)
FilmPack - Cross Processed Films (2 presets)
FilmPack - Digital Films (7 presets)

INSTALLATION

Method 1
This first method is the “quick way”, .however, some of you may not be comfortable copying and pasting files “under the covers”. Unzip the six folders in the attached zip file to your hard drive and drag and drop them into the PhotoLab 5 preset folder. Here are the locations, originally supplied by @Pieloe.

Window 10 presets: %LocalAppData%\DxO\DxO PhotoLab 5\Presets
Mac OS presets: ~/Library/DxO PhotoLab v5/Presets

Method 2
For those not comfortable using Method 1.

1. Unzip the six folders in the attached zip file to your hard drive .

2. In PhotoLab Elite, expand the Preset Editor. .

3. In the expanded Preset Editor click on the first icon, “new preset folder” . Rename it to a name similar to one of the six folders you’ve unzippped. Create 5 more preset folders and also rename them with similar names to the unzipped folders.

4. Select one of the preset folders you just created. Click on te “import” icon in the Preset Editor (2nd icon from the right) . Navigate to the unzipped folder with the similar name to the preset folder you just selected and select all the presets in that folder before clicking on the OK button. On a Windows machine you can do that by holding down the shift key as you select the presets. Click OK and all the selected presets will be copied to that folder.

5. Follow the previous step for the other five folders to complete the process

Don’t hesitate to contact me if you are having any difficulties with the presets. You can respond here or send me a private message.

I hope you find these presets useful!
Mark

DXO FilmPack 6 Elite Presets.zip (38.2 KB)

25 Likes

Thanks Mark, looking forward to trying them. Maybe I won’t use FP6 standalone after all! :wink: :laughing:

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Mark,

Keep in mind that the Capuchino full preset you used for a recent image is one of those already provided by by DxO in their “DXO FilmPack Designer- Black & While” folder. I did not create partial preset versions of them. I only created them for those film types for which no presets files were provided by DxO.

Mark .

1 Like

Dear Mark,

thanks for the presets, and I am glad that you will be done with your renovation tasks before Christmas.

I wish you a peaceful and great Christmas in the circle of your family, and good health for you and your loved ones. Start well into 2022 and enjoy life.

greetings from Germany sends you

Günter

1 Like

I have already discussed this with Mark.
It would have been relevant to add to the preset the grain corresponding to the film.
The menu is complicated to activate, simple to deactivate :wink:
Pascal

Thanks. We plan to be finished by Christmas Eve. My wife and son are already putting up Christmas decorations as I finish the renovations. We had a little less than a foot (30cm) of water. The damage we sustained was not anywhere near to what happened elsewhere in New Jersey, but it still caused a mess that took me and my son over 3 months to clean up and repair.

Mark .

2 Likes

I took what you suggested to heart but unfortunately there was no time. I may add grain as a future update to these presets.

Mark

1 Like

I wonder about this because it is not just a simple yes/no decision. There is also the grain size, which can be anything from nothing, through 35mm to that of LF film and that makes a significant difference to the intensity of the effect. Then you can also decide whether you want the grain size adapted to the cropping of the image. It all sounds a bit too complicated to impose a default grain and isn’t something I would want to see.

Wouldn’t it be easier for a user to copy and edit the “basic” partial presets if they prefer?

1 Like

The interest of these presets is to quickly access the specifications.
There will always be something to do :wink:
Pascal

So, apart from the choice of film to base the grain on, which would be that of the selected film, exactly what are you suggesting a default grain size setting should be?

Thanks Mark. Much appreciated.

Have a great festive season.
Colin

Leave the default values presented.
It’s up to the user to know what he wants, right?
Pascal

In that case, the present default is no grain - why impose a, possibly unwanted, default that has to be unchecked on every image the preset is applied to, even if all the user wants is a tonal rendering and not a full film emulation?

There is also the problem that not all films have a grain that matches - e.g. the nearest to Generic Fuji Astia™ 100 is Fuji Astia™ 100F, which is a totally different film.

1 Like

Thank you to both Mark and Joanna. It took me a while to make them appear in DPL 5 but I finally succeeded.

Thank you Mark and Joanna 🙇🏽‍♂️

@mwsilvers May you have a great Christmas resting period after all your work at home :star: :santa:t3:

Thanks - I think I will spend a few peaceful days in the office after all my work at home:)

Ah, okay maybe I shouldn’t be so quick to uninstall FP6 standalone.

Thanks to all (particularly Mark and JoAnna, but the rest of you for informative discussion as well) for this. I finally bought FP 6 this season to add to my updated PL5 software. And as non-integrated as the two are (even though they overlap), it is frustrating to move back and forth. Given a very specific image, I may want to use the full standalone package, but this certainly gives me a great feel for the possibilities of a given image without having to leave the home space in PL.

1 Like

During all the years I have used FilmPack, I have always used it within PL. I have never seen the need to export a RAW photo from PL to FP - I can do everything in the integrated version and never have to create a processed file until I finally want to export it.

1 Like