File deletion by other software

Good evening
(translated by Google)
When I modify a file, the software creates a “dop” side file.
If I delete the file (RAW or Jpeg) by another software, the “dop” file remains …
It’s embarassing…
How can I remove these “dop” files without breaking my head too much ???
Thanks for your help.

Bonsoir
(traduit par Google)
Lorsque je modifie un fichier, le logiciel créé un fichier annexe “dop”.
Si je supprime le fichier (RAW ou Jpeg) par un autre logiciel, le fichier “dop” reste…
C’est gênant…
Comment puis supprimer ces ficheirs “dop” sans trop me casser la tête ???
Merci pour votre aide.

Would not deleteing the image via PL solve your problem? No other program is going to delete the dop as it won’t know what it is. And remember PL does not modify the original image file, it is non-destructive. It keeps the edits in the dop files file and references them when it displays the related original image on screen. The only way to get the edits “burned” into the image is to do an export from PL which creates a new image file that reflects all the edits. The original file is then retained in PL. I only mention the non-destructive nature as I wonder why you would want to delete your original image.

1 Like

Quel autre logiciel utilisez-vous pour supprimer vos fichiers bruts ? Si vous utilisez un gestionnaire de fichiers lorsque vous sélectionnez un fichier brut à supprimer, vous pouvez trier par nom de fichier et supprimer le fichier sidecar en même temps.

Un certain nombre de concurrents de PhotoLab utilisent également des fichiers sidecar. La copie, le déplacement, le renommage et la suppression d’images avec des fichiers sidecar créés par chacun d’eux à l’aide de logiciels différents doivent être soigneusement planifiés.

Mark

1 Like

Thank you for your answers !
Indeed, I thought that the “dop” file will only be deleted by deleting the original file with PL4!
Why delete a file? Sometimes (often) I try to improve a RAW file and then, while reviewing it, find that it is not worth it … so I delete …
But I understood the principle well (as with LR and its “xmp” files.
Thanks again for your answers.

Merci pour vos réponses !
Effectivement, je pensais bien que le fichier “dop” ne sera supprimé qu’en supprimant le fichier d’origine avec PL4 !
Pourquoi supprimer un fichier ? Parfois (souvent), j’essaie d’améliorer un fichier RAW puis, en le revisionnant, m’apercevoir que celà n’en vaut pas la peine…donc je supprime…
Mais j’ai bien compris le principe (comme avec LR et ses fichiers annexes “xmp”.
Merci encore de vos réponses.

If you use a ‘real’ digital asset manager (e.g., IMatch https://www.photools.com/), it can transparently handle ‘buddy’ files (e.g., .xmp, .dop). This means that if you use the DAM to move or delete or rename a raw file, the buddy files are also moved or deleted or renamed. This is one of the many benefits of using a DAM.

2 Likes

FastRawViewer will also do this.

Bonsoir,

J’utilise XNViewMP pour les mots clés et gérer mes fichiers.
Il suffit de lui indiquer que le fichier dop est un fichier compagnon du RAW il sera supprimé en même temps.

Hello Colin - this is not correct. I use DAM software to manage my files, in my case Photo Supreme. If I delete the file or change the filename WITHIN Photo Supreme. All the sidecars i.e .dop or xmp are automatically deleted or renamed accordingly.

Thanks Sigi, I was not thinking down the lines of stand-alone dams I must admit. I am pretty much Adobe centric these days and if I need something outside of Lr I use Adobe Bridge which is superb value being free. But given what the op is trying to achieve, deleting via PL is no more onerous than deleting via dam that he perhaps does not really need.

Actually, Colin, there are quite a few apps that will handle deletion of “associated” sidecar-type files … RawFastViewer, Irfan & XnViewMP are such examples.

eg. RawFastViewer allows associated files to be defined like this: image

John M

We’ve crossed John :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you all for your valuable information!