Feedback on v3 from anyone

If anyone expects to have a product around in the future (for new features or support), they should really expect to have to pay something to keep the machine running. That doesn’t mean you need to upgrade for every update if it doesn’t deliver what you want, but there’s no free lunch in the software business. (For the products that are ‘free’, you/your personal information is the product that the developers monetize… The other alternative is open source software, where some users are willing to contribute time and expertise for the benefit of the larger community. But open source may or may not meet your needs.)

2 Likes

I know, nothing is free now =[
since I moved away from Adobe, I paid for many software that I’ve been using since, they all have pros and cons, yours to keep what work for you.

Yes I have but I’m unclear if some of the features are new or improved. IE, Clearview is listed as a feature but is it improved or just a statement of one of PL features?

The Capture One Pro upgrade is more expensive, but one difference is that you don’t lose the license for the version you’re upgrading from the way you do with Photolab. Want to keep your old Photolab license, for whatever reason, then you have to buy a new full version of Photolab, which erases the difference in cost. (Although, in practice, Photolab will continue to work on computers it’s already installed on, today at least. The problem is if you want to move to another computer and don’t have available activations.)

You know it’s wrong !
Svetlana explained it to you.
Pascal

Hello,

• Why not to take a free 30-day Trial and make your judgements?

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Dear @asvensson,

All the previous versions work on the same machine if they were installed and licensed. I have even OP6 installed and nothing prevents it from running. It was always the same behavior - you can install a new version beside the old one and nothing has changed in these terms with the release of PL3.

About the license counter reset of the older version, actually when you get the license you are allowed to activate it up to 3 machines (depending on the license) so it’s rather clear that if you used all your activations of the old license and upgraded you can’t ask for the counter reset anymore. I think it’s fair.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

Svetlana,

I’m not saying it’s unfair, just different. If my existing computer fails then I can move my old version of Capture One Pro without restriction, which isn’t the case with Photolab. For some people it’s a non-issue, while others may want unrestricted access to a previous version of software that they’ve done a significant amount of work in, possibly on an OS version the new version no longer supports.

Sorry, but what’s wrong? You no longer have a license for the old version after purchasing an upgrade, but you can still keep using it as long as you have activations available. If you don’t then you can’t reset the activation counter for the old version the way you can for a licensed version, so there is a difference.

if you’re thinking about the discussion in this thread then there’s no disagreement.

1 Like

Yes :wink:
Pascal

Right, and there Svetlana confirms that it is the way I say.

I’m not saying it’s good or bad, but it is different: if you want to be able to move/use an old version without restriction, then a Photolab upgrade does not allow that since you can’t reset the activation counter for the old version after an upgrade. If you’re out of activations then you’re out of luck; DxO is not going to reset the counter for you. Formally, you no longer have a license to run the old version, so that DxO allows it to start at all is a nicety that the EULA doesn’t actually give you a right to. Not that I think DxO will change this (that would be too restrictive for many I think), but it’s a different license model from Capture One and Exposure, to name the other example I mentioned in the other thread.

I say that it is far to be automatic and that you can not generalize your case and announce it everywhere.
Pascal

This is not generalizing my case, this is just what the EULA says, and how DxO deals with the old versions. If you think something I’ve said is wrong, then say what it is. Otherwise, I don’t think there’s anything more to discuss. I was just pointing out a difference between DxO’s upgrade and Capture One’s that surprised me at least.

Let us stop!

1 Like

Happily. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have installed the trial but was looking for general feedback from others. My usage will probably vary from others so hearing other’s feedback is helpful for both evaluation and help in using the program better should I decide to upgrade.

For me, this upgrade was well worth it. The HSL color wheel is a significant improvement over the older HSL control, There is a major enhancement to the repair tool and the new clone tool. They both operate similarly but with different results. We’ve all been waiting for this for quite a while. Adding keywords is now available but has only been implemented for Macs. It should be available for Windows 10 when PL3.1 is released, hopefully before the end of the year. Finally the new local adjustment panel allows you to manage local adjustments individually. You can turn masks on or off individually, change the opacity of individual masks, easily delete masks and even invert masks. For those of us, like me, who use local adjustments a lot, this is a very significant improvement to that functionality.

Mark

Let’s focus on the HSL tool of DPL 3. For me, this incarnation is the first really/best usable version so far. I found the older versions of HSL far less usable than the one in Lightroom and now, the tool offers better usability in that we can now position the color filters as we like and we have a better selection of colors to start with. This HSL upgrade is almost enough tp justify the upgrade to DPL 3 - your mileage may vary: if you never used the tool before, give it a try and see if it can help you make your images better (whatever that might mean)

Local adjustment layers is a big step forward and will get a few new functions too…

Keywords/DAM functionality is not quite there yet. It cannot replace my tool of choice (Lr) yet and it does not really communicate because keywords cannot readily be read by other apps.

I agree with your assessment.
Also, at least now a keyword search will reveal photos that already contain keywords.

You neglected to mention the new clone tool and improved repair tool. I have found them both a significant improvement over the previous repair tool.

Mark