Feature to freeze settings and start from there

The title is maybe a little difficult to understand. I’ll try to explain giving an example:

I have two copies that are slightly different and I want to e.g. make two b/w images that will show the difference of representation of colors - the red or green balloons in this example.

When I now apply a film simulation (or monochrome toning), the channel mixer sliders work exactly the same. All customizing seem to be obsolete. If we had a feature that allowed us to make snapshots of the two images (freeze the settings) and work from there on like they were original raw files, we would open a wide range of creative possibilities. This basically means that we could work without having to go from raw to tiff (or jpg), saving some disk space and allowing us to somehow force the sequence in which settings are applied.

My personal benefit of such a function would be in negative conversions, where sliders would again behave normally. It would also ease the answer to the question asked elsewhere (here) and therefore make easier the use of DPL.

Well there is the function " Virtual Copy"
Edit the rawfile until you have your “master” and hit “create virual copy” a few times, those VC’s are then your different approaches of the image.
You can also create from a vc a new vc.

Edit: lets assume that the VC has name edit possibility and there is a fully selective copy past.of corrections.
Then you can make a “status” hit create VC and rename this as your liking to remember what it is.
by copy past you can use it as a settings of adjustments source.

@OXiDant, thanks, but this does not work as I want it to. I can change the balloons in the vc, but as soon as I engage a film simulation (or toning) both images behave exactly the same: They react to the channel mixer’s red slider only…

With the current technology, I have to export the image as a tiff and take the next steps from there.

Ah you ment actual “hardcoded” / burn the adjustments so you can have a new startpoint?
Like export a 16bit tiff and reimport this as new entry?

Exactly, but ready for reuse like a raw file.

1 Like