Feature request: extend canvas and fill in the added space with the Repair tool in clone mode

Feature request: extend canvas and fill in the added space with the Repair tool in clone mode.
Use case # 1: it is required to extend photo (canvas) instead of cropping due to image was taken to tight or an incorrect framing.
It would be amazing if I can not only crop photo to a desirable framing but also in the same mode extend canvas outwards! the empty space created during such an operation can be infilled with the Repair tool in Clone or Repair mode.

Use Case #2: it would be amazing to have an option to extend the photo outwards ( opposite to cropping) after application of the following tools: horizon, parallel lines and any other geometry image manipulation that presently results in the image being cropped to get rid of areas of the image that were created in result of geometry image manipulations.

in both use cases - repair tool to be used in order to infill image areas that were created in result of canvas extension or image geometric manipulations.

Hello @alexander_moloksher and welcome to the Forum,

We’ve already got this request and as a temporary work around you can use this suggestion - Limitation of repair/clone tool?

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hi Svetlana,

The methodology I had in mind is quite different to what being discussed in the thread you were referring to.

Please consider that Lightroom can stitch raw files in panorama mode.

I suggest the following algorithm:

1. In order to extend raw image to the right by 100 pixels, stitch / merge the original RAW file with another virtual RAW file equal to the first one in height and 100 pixels wide and positioned on the right hand side of the original RAW file.

2. Use repair tool on the resulting image to infill areas that were added to the original image.

I do not see this being programmatically difficult to implement.
I hope it explains.

1 Like

Okay, got it.

I’ve converted your post into a feature request and you can vote for it.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Allow the clone tool to work beyond the image boundary as straightened up (by the horizon tool) or perspective corrected (by Viewpoint perspective correction).

These areas, shown in black, currently do not accept cloning to.

1 Like

Wholly agree, this is in my opinion a major deficiency in PL… this definitely gets my vote.

Hopefully they will also fix the bug in the healing/clone tool that stops it from working correctly on the edges of the photo when feathering is enabled :frowning: I get the distinct impression that most people don’t heal/clone the edges of their photos, but that’s almost always where I want to “make adjustments”.

How about this feature request instead:

Thanks … looks a duplicate

Merged!

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hi Svetlana, maybe you can merge again:
https://forum.dxo.com/t/completing-image-area-after-horizon-tool/19723

Existing problem:
Having used the horizon tool or the perspective tool,normally the image is cropped. But sometimes also desired parts of the image are cropped and lost.
Using the full image area (no crop), we get black triangles without pixels.

Problem: The repair tool cannot repair the parts of the image. Repairs have to be done in some other tool after having exported the image, e.g. as a .dng or a .jpg.

Proposed solution:
Customizing raws in PL will not affect the original raw data. So there must be sort of a layer technique for all these corrections. Imho, this can be seen pretty on the masks of the copy/repair tool.

So why not create a new repair layer according to the full size of a rotated image, so that those pixel-less triangles resulting from rotation could be covered by some manually copied pixels?

The next step (automatic image completion) imho does not really work. So I would be satisfied, if could do some simple manually completions after rotating etc. an image.

1 Like

Looks similar to this feature request which presently has 19 votes:

What I do for now is expand the crop area to include the outer blank regions I want to paint over, then export to TIFF, and edit the TIFF in PhotoLab with the repair/clone tools.

The answer to this problem doesn’t really lie with DxO, but with the photographer.

1. Make sure the camera is level when you take the shot
  2. If you can’t do 1, allow more space for cropping when you take the shot

It’s something you also have to be aware of when taking a shot where you will need to correct the perspective (unless you use a large format film camera with perspective correction movements)

1 Like

Hi Joanna,

A perfect photographer do not use any after shot procedure. DPL is for the others, who are not perfect - as we are.
To adjust horizon - is a substantial tool for post processing images. The empty area fill should be a part of the Repair/Clone tool.

Endre

4 Likes

I had the same problem here:

and you can vote for the feature here:

Sorry for not having read the older requests.

It seems, there is a real interest in this feature (requests from 2019 and 2020).

Volker

1 Like

There are very few shots that don’t need some post-processing. If I am not using my large format view camera with movements to correct perspective, I have no choice but to use software to correct it but being a “perfect photographer” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I make sure that when I take the shot I allow for the unavoidable corrections.

That is the point Joanna. We are not perfect. The software help us to make our images more enjoyable. Neglect this circumstance, is not the best from a software company. The crop result black triangles are very frequent. Photoshop perfectly handle the cases with ContentAwareFill.

Endre

1 Like

But Photoshop is a pixel editor, not a RAW processor. And then you have to consider where the replacement content will come from for a crop triangle. Often there is unlikely to be anything that matches enough.

It would seem even the mighty Lightroom has difficulties coping with edge fill

1 Like

Interesting. I think PL is also a pixel editor.
The problem of Lightroom is out of my interest. If there is a good solution, I never try to use a worse one. By the way, the PL repair functionality is not bad. Its weakness the cropped border use. It suppose, out of the image is a black area. The actual movable sample location made it better. Unfortunately, it doesn’t see the black parts areas a part of the image. It is not an existing pixel area. Why can not simple add the necessary pixel to the images ?

Why I can not copy pixels to the black area with Clone tool ?

Endre

1 Like