Exposure Mode 'Night'

Out of curiosity, those ‘automatic’ modes aren’t they better to be avoided – well the inconsistencies with illumination affecting reliable perception – or does MacOS then also switch to a (prepared) ‘night profile’ preset instead of not only changing monitor brightness?

MacOS switch to a (prepared) ‘night profile’ preset instead of not only changing monitor brightness. But I don’t use this feature.

Ok but if it is this feature, it is badly named as Exposure mode Night seems more a new Exposure adaption inside DPL, and I don’t find anything new in that matter.

And why Night shift from Apple Mac OS would not have been supported by previous versions of DPL?
For me if I choose to activate it, it should apply to all software…

So to ensure, I’ve just made the test on my MacBook Pro. I activate the Night shift, and I confirm that it works for both PL5.1.2 and PL4, as expected.

So this new feature is still a mystery for me.

1 Like

Release Notes

• Added the value ‘Night’ to the Exposure Modes

User Guide, page 49

The EXIF sub-palette displays the main shooting and image information, in the form of a table and a list (from top to bottom):

• Table, bottom row (from left to right): exposure mode (Program, A/Av, S/T/Tv, M, etc.), light metering mode in the form of a pictogram (evaluative, weighted, spot, etc.), whether or not flash is used, file type, RAW or RGB (JPEG, TIFF), and whether or not GPS coordinates are present (in the form of a pictogram).

Best guess: The exposure mode “Night” is a feature of the DxO One camera.

Which has nothing to do with exposure. There is a similar function in Windows, which I have found to be next to useless.

Still a mystery :wink:

New guess: it might be an EXIF element, like P/A/S/M. See this:

Understanding Camera Shooting/Exposure Modes | B&H Explora (bhphotovideo.com)

Good morning!

I feel the talk is about this one:

DxO.PhotoLab_x9qcIIQG4p

Regards,
Svetlana G.

2 Likes

And now the explanation.

George

1 Like

That is a little symbol with a cloud, a moon and a star :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well, before this mode was not supported properly, now it is :slight_smile:

• It’s the exposure mode which can be available is some camera bodies.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the information and explanation.

Is this ‘night mode exposure’ an exposure mode or a camera setting? Or in other words does it have influence on the raw data or is it an editing trick or a combination?

George

• Camera setting.

Regards,
Svetlana G.