Export to Application - Question

Can someone please explain how to delete programs listed in the Export to Application drop down menu. I am unable to find a way within the program itself or find any references within the Config file (I might have missed them).

I am keen to clean up the menu (particularly in my PL3 version) following some testing .

If there is no way then I suggest one needs to be provided.

Thanks

Peter

This subject has been discussed before. I haven’t used it for a while, but unless something has changed, it uses a non editable history list. When it reaches its maximum size, a new entry will push the oldest one off the list. There is no way you can remove individual items from it.

Mark

DPL for macOS provides a possibility to clear the history:

Moreover, if a computer remembers something, it must be written down somewhere. Checking for recently modified files after selecting an app to export to, I found that the setting is kept in the settings file, from which it can be removed with an editor:

Again, these screenshots are from macOS. I suppose that you can find the respective file and entries in Windows too…

Hi,

There’s a lot to say about this problem.

1. Under Windows, the list of external applications appearing in the Export to application dialog can be found in C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\DxO\DxO.PhotoLab.exe_StrongName_addo3jomrfkt2faiwwfxxb444r1xfvlh\3.2.0.10\user.config. Open this file in a text editor and look for <setting name=“RecentApplications” serializeAs=“String”> . You’ll be able to edit the string contained in this XML tag. Do this caustiously if you want to preserve the entries other than the one you want to remove. If you want to clear everything, just remove all text and replace the whole block with

<setting name=“RecentApplications” serializeAs=“String”>
<value></value>
</setting>

1. The DPL approach for managing external editors is something between the Capture One approach (fully dynamic and registry based) and the Lightroom approach (External Editors Manager). The C1 approach is totally irrelevant and error prone. The Lightroom approach is the most effective. The current DPL approach is too weak.

2. DxO should implement something similar to what is done in LR with a possible bonus that is available in Capture one : differentiating Edit with… from Open with… In C1, Edit with… exports an editable raster file that can be sent to Photoshop, Affinity Photo or whatever similar application. Open with… sends the file “as-is” to the external editor. It’s very practical if you want to handle a RAW file in another RAW processor. In LR, this is only possible by using an LUA script (just ask if you need this).

Writing a real LR-like external editor manager is not difficult. Almost all the necessary code is already there. This would however makes the user in full control of what appears in the External applications list.

1 Like

Mark/Platypus

Many thanks for the information.

Unfortunately the Windows version of PL does not appear to store the Application list in any of the editable ‘.config files’.

It would be ideal if the Windows version also had the MAC menu option to delete the list, or at least an ability to edit the information like in the macOS settings file. Perhaps it might be implemented some time in the future.

Thank’s Mark for letting me know the list is non editable - I will look no further.

Best wishes

Peter

I just explained above where this list is stored.

Not everybody is as comfortable as you and I when it comes to editing system related files.

Mark

I was just answering this statement :

Unfortunately the Windows version of PL does not appear to store the Application list in any of the editable ‘.config files’.

which is wrong. And editing this file (which is not a system file but a DPL configuration file) in order to clear the application list is easy :

1. Open the above mentioned file in Notepad.
  2. Use the Find function in order to go to <setting name=“RecentApplications” serializeAs=“String”>
  3. Select all the text starting just after the <value> tag located just after the string above and finishing just before the next </value> tag.
  4. Delete the selected text in order to obtain the block shown above.
  5. Save the file and relaunch DPL.

Now, if it’s still too difficult, PJS123, please send me your configuration file in a private message and I’ll do the editing for you.

Pat

Many thanks. I started typing my reply having read your first post and we must have been typing our replies at the same time. You clearly pressed the ‘Reply’ button before me and I did not notice your detailed explanation immediately after I posted mine. That is why my response must have appeared silly.

I only noticed your earlier reply when checking in 3 hours after.

Sorry for the confusion, I really am most grateful :smiley:

Peter

You’re welcome, Peter. No problem.

I got sufficient information from your soul of heart.Thank you so much

Hi Patrick

Just to say I found this thread by looking for a way to remove a previously added ‘Export to Application’

I found the right item in the user.config file, though it was buried in to longer string instruction. But by careful comparison to the other applications in the list I could identify the whole string.

As a precaution I saved the original file in case of issues…opened the PL5 and found the one I wished to remove was indeed removed.

So, to all ‘support’ I do wonder why there is not “remove” from the “Export to Application” to compliment the Browse and ‘add’ function???

PS @Cecile-C I know I have posted to an old thread but I have tagged you here for your insight and thoughts about this real need to add a simply function to the GUI :slight_smile:

Notes ~ I am a W10 Pro user :smiley:

For those non-tech savvy Windows users, the directory C:\Users<name>\AppData is a hidden folder and needs to be made visible from the Options|View settings dialog.