Export settings optimized for Facebook

Any one knows what would be the best export settings for Facebook?

• Jpeg
  • Quality -100% or less ?
  • Resampling 2048 px. long edge
  • 300 or 72 ppi ?
  • SRGB
  • Bicubic sharper ?

Anything better?

The DPI won’t improve when uploading to FB beyond 72.
PNG’s (IMO) are far more stable coming out the other end of FB and IG’s compression blender. JPG’s have a lot of artifacts that get amplified.

Quality I would set at 100% because FB is going to compress regardless, that would at the least allow you to retain as much detail as possible.

Remember that images uploaded to an album on Facebook first have the option for HD, regular post uploads do not.

Srgb - don’t use RGB unless you want your colors to get compromised.

I would recommend not using an output sharpener. Sharpen your images to satisfaction prior to export.
FB allows 2048 but the compression seems far less drastic if you keep it at 1920 longest edge.

Hope that helps.

Thenks Damian

I know that png was a workaround in the past to prevent FB Compression algorithm. But not anymore :pensive:

Usually I do not upload to album, so it will keep having this Compression.

Finding the sweet spot for Facebook export can be a tad tricky. For JPEG, 100% quality is solid. Stick to 2048 px for the long edge, and 300 PPI ensures crispness. SRGB is a good call, and Bicubic Sharper is a solid resampling choice. You’re on the right track!

I must agree with @Damian that there is no benefit to using 300ppi.

A 2048px image at 300ppi would only appear to be just under 7" long, whereas at 72ppi, it would appear to be just over 28" long. the average modern monitor can vary between 100 and 200 ppi. But, the higher the ppi resolution, the smaller an image on screen.

I haven’t posted on Facebook in a while, but if they are still using compression when you upload your images and strip the metadata its hard to really do much about that. Generally speaking I would consider first the kind of image I’m going to be uploading and for what purpose. Is the subject matter, a person, landscape, or something else. Is is landscape or portrait orientation?

Generally for me it was enough to use 700px on the short side and proportionally scale the long side. PPI does not matter, it can be anything you want. sRGB is the safest bet for color consistency because even if they strip the color profile, I think Facebook assumes its all sRGB. Quality wise, a good compromise for online image is usually between 80-85% JPEG quality. But since they will probably re-compress it, you can try to save at higher quality and test out what the end results will be.

Bicubic sharper. I think if the image has a lot of high frequency details and its sufficiently sharpen in original size, using Bicubic sharper can lead to over-sharpening look, a bit too crunchy, so it depends on the image.

Depending on which software you use, there are various algorithms you can try. Generally either Bicubic or Bicubic sharper are found in most applications, while in Photoshop Preserve Details 2.0 does a good job as well, but can also lead to oversharpening in some cases.

Personally I use ACDee on Windows, and two best algorithms for me are ClearIQZ or Lanczos, my favorite. They seem to produce sharp results that don’t end up crunchy looking while largely preserving the quality of the original full resolution.

sshot-3556

1 Like