Export for printing: ProPhoto RGB vs DXO Wide Gamut

Wrong. Your monitor is the limitation.

George

1 Like

George, that’s what he was saying

My monitor is full AdobeRGB). Point is ofcourse that in DXO PL I cannot really work/“see” in ProPhoto. So, in a sense I have to work “in the blind” (can not exactly see what’ s going on when exporting in ProPhoto (apart from maybe soft-proofing, which can help a bit).

and btw the very same scenario when I printed test prints in ProPhotoRGB.

1 Like

exactly what Wolfgang says…that’ s what I said. But I realise that maybe I wasn’t t clear enough…I would not be able to work/see ProPhotoRGB in any program.
Sorry if I was unclear about this.

ProPhoto has many colors that don’t exist in real life. So a lot of the “colors” (numbers in RGB space) are wasted. That’s one of the reasons that it is mandatory to work in 16b color in these large spaces.
And that is one of the reasons, apart from technical limits at this time, that displays will never be able to show wide-gamut spaces completely.
Maybe we should say, that the shape of wide-gamut spaces has not been chosen very clever. I know, that there are pigments that were used by the old master painters, that are not included in ProPhoto etc. Specifically designed color spaces are used for the most faithful reproductions. On the other hand, part of the wide-gamut spaces is wasted because the colors don’t exist. Maybe it is time for new color spaces :slight_smile:
But if we don’t push the saturation up to the pain limit, I think we can do very well with ProPhoto or AdobeRGB.

1 Like

If exporting in Wide Gamut DXO would be possible, then there’ s your new colour space :wink: