EOS R Support

When can you finally expect the support of the Canon EOS R?

Maybe someone from DxO can give any indication? Are we talking about weeks, months, half a year, a year?

I’m really looking forward to support for the EOS R. I understand it is a very different (and new) RAW format. So it might take some time for it to be well implemented. On the other hand, the .cr3 format has been on the market for quite some time now.

I think there was a response at one time they were not going to be supporting the new format. It was said to be not a full RAW image. I hope this is reconsidered as the reviews have all said in most situations they couldn’t see any ill effect on the results but could get a very significant reduction in file size. I for one would find most situations the reduced size advantage outweighs slight loss of image most of the time.

1 Like

I suppose that remark was about the cRAW version of the .cr3 format. Where I indeed didn’t see much of a penalty using it. I fear the biggest problem might be in the really different file format.

This was posted on the Photo Mechanic forum when asked about support. A week later or so support was there though.
“The file formats are massively different. CR2 is roughly a TIFF file just like so many other RAW formats. CR3 is an ISOBMF file (ISO base media file format) which is more akin to a quicktime movie container.”

Great work! Here a test-shot EOS R, RF 24-105, ISO 32.000 :slight_smile:
Some users in my German FB DxO Group ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/215166452355897 ) missing the optical module EOS R, RF 35 1.8.

1 Like

Hello @AkkiMoto,

I’m glad you appreciate our support of Canon R :slight_smile:

We plan to release module for RF 35mm F1.8 in April so that won’t be too long.

Regards,
Marie

2 Likes

Yes, it is great indeed, well actually much better than I even hoped for. There is one big problem though… Will want to redo everything I shot till now with the EOS R in photolab… This is going to cost me a lot of time. :joy:

1 Like

Meanwhile, the supported camera page is back.
https://www.dxo.com/dxo-photolab/supported-cameras/

1 Like

Hi Marie,

Canon works. Now we wait for an optical module EOS R - RF 85 1.2 :-). This Lens is incredible on EOS R but nothings with the right optical module. :smiley: :smiley:

If you need RAWs, I have some :slight_smile:

Hello @AkkiMoto,

We will add optics profiles for Canon RF 85mm F1.2 before the end of July :slight_smile:

Regards,
Marie

1 Like

Hello,

Release was planned for this Wednesday but it will be postponed of probably 1 week (it’s not related to the lens but to the general release we want to do).
Sorry for the delay

Regards,
Marie

3 Likes

You have for EOS R an optical module for Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED UMC AE Aspherical.
Is this a lens with EF-Mount or is this the new Samyang MF 14/2.8 RF?

Greetings from Germany
Akki

Ok, I see this is the EF

Do you planned Support for EOS R/RP and Samyang RF Lenses?

Greetings
Akki

Hello @AkkiMoto,

we plan to support Samyang lenses for Canon RF cameras, I jsut don’t have a date yet.

Regards,
Marie

Hi Marie,

Monday I receive my new RF 70-200 2.8 IS USM (not EF). You planned this optical Module?

Greetings
Akki

Hello @AkkiMoto,

we of course plan to suport this lens. It’s just a matter of time, bandwidth is a bit tight at the end of year.

Regards,
Marie

1 Like

Hello @Marie,
a few minutes ago I gave the CRAW format at the EOS R a chance and was very (positive) surprised, that it is supported by PhotoLab :slight_smile:
But I have one problem: in the Metadaten-window both files (RAW and CRAW) are called RAW. I can only find the difference by the file size.

1 Like

Hello @wilsberg,

right we don’t display type of RAW compression. I will discuss it with teams to know if we can do it easily.

Regards,
Marie

2 Likes

Hi Marie, and what was the result of the discussion?

1 Like

For my DxO-high-ISO-tests I buy me a Canon R6 (with RF 600). When we have optical modules for the new camera and lens? :smiley:

1 Like