EOS R+EF 100-400 L IS USM and Chromatic Aberration issue

Some problem with removing chromatic aberration in optic module Canon EOS R and EF 100 - 400 L IS USM. If Chromatic Aberration tool is ON, contours has a color fringing, if it is OFF - color fringing disappear, like at pictures below. DxOPL v2.2

Chromatic Aberration ON

Chromatic Aberration tool is OFF and looks like that

I also checked EOS R and RF 24 - 105 f4 IS USM and here it is OK

1 Like

Maybe this is the contrast problem of the edges with a bright background? Below the screenshot with the manual remove CA, here is correct.

1 Like

Hello @whs62,

Could you, please share your image + sidecar with us? We need them for the investigation. Please, upload it to upload.dxo.com under your name and let me know when ready.

Thank you,
Regards,
Svetlana G.

I have to ask for permission from the author of the picture.

Okay, no problem. Just for the info, we use the images for the investigation only internally. So there is no public access to them.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hello,
I don’t know how to send this raw, I don’t know what is “Support ticket number (#XXXX)” in the required field, can you help?
Regards,
Wieslaw.

Just upload the file with the link provided above. don’t worry about the ticket number.
Just post here the name of the file and Svetlana will pick it up. Worked in the past.

Hello,
Thank You, my browser was not updated, and that’s why I was having trouble. I sent 7zip archieves with raw + dop, raw is the same as in the screenshot above. Both raw and dop have the same name ‘eos r and ef 100 400_IMGR1710’. Please, confirm in forum if this archive will be picked up.
Regards,
Wieslaw.

Hello Wieslaw,
Please, do not worry and upload the archive. In the ‘support ticket number’ please, type your forum name and let me know when upload is done.

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

Hello Svetlana G.
I have already sent. The archive has the name “EOS R 100-400”
Best Regards,
Wieslaw.

Thank you. I’ve received it. We’ll do the investigation.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Great. Thank you too.
Regards,
Wieslaw.

Just a thought;

I’m told, by DxO Support, that the DxO Optics Modules are designed on the basis that in-camera lens correction is turned OFF … Perhaps, if you have CA correction turned ON in your camera, this is causing some interference/confusion (?)

Regards, John M

Hello,
Exif Tool shows that the correction of the CA in the camera was turned on, below the screenshot fragment. I am not the author of this photo, so I will ask the owner if he remembers the settings of the camera.
Regards,
Wieslaw.

Would that matter with RAW? Normally, in-camera corrections only affect JPEG and other processed output files. RAW is normally unprocessed, with a few exceptions.

That’s a good question, Greg.
RAW certainly is unprocessed - but embedded EXIF data would, I expect, still contain correction values.

However, I reckon DPL would ignore this info for RAW files … So, my suggestion (to turn corrections OFF) is probably irrelevant !

John M

Edit: Yes, as @whs62 confirms in the following post, it IS ignored.

The author of this photo confirmed that he had Chromatic Aberration Correction enabled in the camera. But yesterday I mounted my EF 100-400 L IS USM to EOS 7D MkII, I turned ON all the lens corrections in the camera, and PhotoLab correctly removed the CA. Besides, this flaw is minimal in this lens.

1 Like

Hello guys,

The issue has already been fixed locally. I’ll let you know when the fix is released.

Regards,
Svetlana G.

1 Like

Hello,
in v2.2.1 this problem has been resolved. Thank you.
Regards,
Wieslaw

1 Like