Editing linear DNGs created by PureRaw in PL5 (or 6)

I’m starting to get a better understanding of the difference in editing RAW and linear DNGs in PL though I’d appreciate some advice from one of you technical experts :grinning:

PL does not have the facility to view the results of DeepPrime processing or DxO lens module sharpening until:

1. You zoom the image in further than 75% to view sharpening, or use the small window to see the results of DeepPrime processing.

2. You export the image to linear DNG, TIFF or JPEG.

So,

If I use PureRaw standalone to process RAW files, applying DeepPrime and (supported lens) global sharpening and creating a linear DNG output, I can open the resulting file in PL with DeepPrime and sharpening applied at any zoom level and without further export.

But (and this is where I need the help),

Is the DNG created by PureRaw as “plastic” as an original RAW SOOC when it comes to further editing in PL? By that I mean, is the file in a format that allows the full functionality of a non-destructive RAW editor?

I may not be explaining it very well. Ideally, you would want to edit RAW in PL to make full use of the tools, I understand that linear DNGs generated by PureRaw cannot be passed through DeepPrime or sharpening as they are already demosaiced, but have they lost all the plasticity of a SOOC RAW and effectively been turned into a de-noised, sharp, big fat 100GB JPEG equivalent?

Using PureRaw is unnecessary if you are a PhotoLab Elite user. DxO recommends that you apply DeepPRIME (or DeepPRIME XD, introduced in PL 6), lens sharpening, chromatic aberration, vignetting, and distortion corrections to your raw images from within PhotoLab Elite and export them using the Export as DNG(Denoise and optical corrections only) option.

Once exported you will be able to see the results of sharpening and noise reduction and the other optical corrections in the DNG file.at all zoom levels. You can make additional modifications to that DNG file and when finished editing you export the DNG file to its final form as a JPEG file. There is absolutely no need to bring PureRaw into the mix. PureRaw is intended for use with other editors. It is not needed if you are a PhotoLab Elite user.

Mark

1 Like

In addition to what @mwsilvers wrote. Yes, I’ve been doing this since it was first introduced in PL4. Even the WB is unset and still in the camera’s sensor color space, which is completely covered by the new WGWCS.

1 Like

Hmmmm. This is an interesting idea, though at the expense of a little time and disk space. Well, a lot of disk space!

I think I will give this a try on some of my better shots. Probably not worth it to me for the run-of-the-mill stuff.

You can always delete the DNG after you finish editing and have exported your TIFF or JPEG. Just keep the DOP file so you can reproduce the DNG if the need arises.

1 Like

OK, I just gave this a go and hit a few snags. Not all may be related to using the Linear DNG.

I created the file in a subfolder. After editing, I moved it to the parent folder, at which time PL threw away all of my edits.

I deleted and recreated directly in the original folder. The image appeared but clearly did not have the default preset applied, even though the history panel says it was. I applied the default preset manually and saw the obvious change in the image.

I (currently) cannot use the wide gamut WCS.

But… what a gloriously smooth and crisp image to work with!

I can’t speak to retention of edits or application of presets, unfortunately - my “trial” workflow is:

1. Ingest RAW to SSD
  2. Process all RAW to different folder, same SSD, using PureRaw
  3. Offload RAW straight to NAS/ Cloud untouched
  4. Work with processed DNGs in PL as if they were new RAW.

As has been mentioned, I don’t need to do any of this as a PL Elite user because PL Elite contains all the DeepPrime tools. So with existing files with edits, presets etc. etc. I don’t think I’d want to risk washing them through PureRaw as an intermediary step. However, for brand new images, why not? I’ve configured steps 1) to 3) to happen almost automatically and, as you say, when I get to step 4) they’re already DeepPrimed and optically corrected - and I can see it :smiley: