DxPL(Win)6.2.0 now matches DxPL(W) 5.7.0 renders of the 4 x 'Legacy' 'Neutral' options

PL6.2.0 seems to produce the same results as PL5.7.0 with DxPL(Win) for renders of the 4 ‘Neutral’ options

as distinct from earlier PL6 releases which did not, i.e. it appears that the issue has been “fixed” at least for the ‘Neutral’ options in ‘Legacy mode’ that I tested here PhotoLab 5.7 Sneakily Changed Colour Rendering(s) - #16 by BHAYT.

There are other options in the snapshot above that need testing and I will test those a soon as possible.

‘DxO’ Portrait does not appear to give the same results between PL5.7.0 and PL6.2.0?

The sizes do not match for a start

and neither does the image.

Bryan:

I have just completed additional tests using methods detailed in two other recent topic posts and do agree that the four neutral color renderings are now directly comparable in PL5.70 and PL6.20.

Kudos to DxO.

Users should be aware that the results in PL6 were obtained using the classic (aRGB) color space. Choosing the DxO Wide Gamut color space and the neutral color rendering will produce a result that is not directly comparable to any of the PL5 neutral color renderings.

1 Like

I’m not seeing all the Neutral Color options shown in your screen shot. I only get one: Neutral Color, and only for RAW files. No neutral color options are listed when it’s a jpeg file. I have the PL6.2.0 Build 103, Canon camera, Windows 10 pro. I do have the latest FilmPack installed. Do those Neutral Color options go away after FilmPack is installed?

Hi UrMajesty - RAW files only and not a FilmPack issue. You are in the DxO Wide Gamut color space. You will need to switch to the Classic (legacy) color space. Then the full drop down list will appear in the main color / color rendering palette.

@UrMajesty as @eriepa stated you are in ‘Wide Gamut’ mode rather than ‘Classic (Legacy)’

which is better for your processing is up to you but for those long standing users it might be important to retain the old “look” (Legacy mode) for their workflow, at least to start with.

Hence the issue that the render results actually changed somewhat for the ‘Neutral ,’ options, amongst others, in ‘Classic (Legacy)’ mode effectively defeated (at least partially) the very reason for the option.

So with Legacy mode selected (and Filmpack installed, as it happens) we have

So here I am reporting that for these ‘Neutral …’ options (on the Windows version at least) things appear to have returned to the pre PL6 results but that for ‘DxO Portrait’ they have not (I need to do a few more tests to verify that is still the case, i.e. that my test wasn’t flawed) and that was one of the first such “investigations” I did on these issues when another user complained that it had impacted his work flow on the first PL6 release.

Got it, now I can see all the Neutral color options. Thank you!

1 Like

@UrMajesty You are welcome.

Regards

Bryan

BHAY / Bryan:

First, I can report that the DxO Portrait generic color rendering will also produce identical images / histograms in PL5.7.0 and PL6.2.0 (classic, legacy). This is in my Win PC setup using the methods described earlier in this topic and elsewhere. Again, I am not able to comment on the Mac versions where something different may be happening.

At this point I have decided to switch my workflow entirely to PL6 using the DxO wide gamut working color space. I rarely process the same RAW file the same way twice, routinely delete *.dop files, and archive only original RAW files and any rendered images. So, for me this topic has been mainly of academic interest. For other (most?) users who do save their *.dop files, etc., I can see some unresolved issues.

Here is a question for you and others still following this topic. OK, the five generic color renderings now have identical counterparts in PL5.7 and PL6.2. How did DxO get there? Were changes made retroactively to earlier versions of PL5 to achieve forward compatibility with PL6 (classic, legacy)? Or were changes made to earlier versions of PL6 to achieve backwards compatibility with PL5? I think some of the results presented to date speak to the former possibility, not the latter, but I could be wrong and am no longer able to test this directly. There are a lot of other questions that would flow from the answer to this question, but that’s enough for now. Thanks.

I think you are correct in your assumption, i.e. early PL6 releases were not compatible with PL5 and were finally re-aligned with PL6.2.0.

I still have PL5.1.4 and PL5.5.0 installed on various SSDs attached to my Test machine so I shutdown, switch in a different SSD and start-up and discover I’ve picked the wrong SATA power switch button!?

So I will retest later, possibly as late as Wednesday because I have got to go to Bromley to help with deliveries for door frames for my Son’s house and am currently writing up my tests with my new graphics card.

I understand the move to PL6 Wide Gamut but for me the DOP is a small price to pay for being able to restart something I “played with” some time ago, typically they are upwards compatible from release to release and are a potential source for future edits, but “each to his own” (workflow).

Thanks for the update.

Regards

Bryan

Bryan:

Thank-you, and good luck on your trip! Glad that you have retained older versions of PL5 and PL6. With your latest methodology you should be able to quickly put this question to rest. My hope is that the earlier reports of changes in the PL5 versions are either insignificant or wrong, and that any changes were made in the PL6 versions (classic, legacy working color space). That would make the most sense to me and would make it easier for some people to make the transition. But let’s see what you come up with, right? Thanks again.