DxO Standard on JPEG images

I was trying out DxO on some old JPEG image that were captured using a Nikon D5300.

By default I have PhotoLab configured not to apply any corrections. When I apply the standard corrections, it looks like the image actually gets more distorted. For example, a window with vertical blinds on the side of the background originally looks straight, but after applying corrections, the blinds look curved.

Is it possible my camera has already applied some of the corrections (like for lens distortion), and now they just got applied a second time? Is there any way to check this in the metadata? I know shooting raw is better, but these are all I have for this set of photos.

Also, it looks like the faces got smoothed out. For example, after corrections I can’t see pores and blemishes on the skin. Is there some sort of beutification going on, or is it smoothing to reduce noise? I’d prefer to see the more natural look, pores and all.

Should I not be using DxO Standard on JPEG images?

In a jpg, yes.

George

1 Like

I never use DXO standard on jpegs. My defaults for jpegs is “No Corrections”. If I want to edit a jpeg I do it manually. Most modern cameras already have in-camera settings for lens distortion, and vignetting, and perhaps even for chromatic aberration, and applies them to SOOC jpegs. You need to check your camera’s settings.

Mark

ExifTool is the metadata viewer and editor for such tasks. Originally, it’s a command line tool, but versions with a GUI exist.

It is true that a JPEG from the camera suffers from too much correction. But DxO optics modules for JPEG are supposed to correctly adjust distortion and vignetting in these JPEGs. If you have such a module installed and it isn’t correcting the image properly, report it at support.dxo.com. This is a bug.