DXO Sidecar file management

Agreed.

Unlike most of the users here, I never use PhotoLab for file management. I mostly use FastRawViewer or the Mac Finder.

• FastRawViewer sees the sidecars in the same folder and deletes them with the original image.
  • in the Finder since all the files are in the same folder, I can easily delete any images and sidecar files together as they are grouped by name. Subfolders would be a disaster for speed and convenience when doing housekeeping.

What I would like on the other hand is the ability to export images in parallel to the RAW+sidecar original folder.

In folder 20220413 tadten vs kittsee

• DCIM
  • DxOExports

instead of

• DCIM → DxOExports

It would be much easier to keep track of exports in a parallel folder to originals (only two to five folders there) rather than hunting for the in the originals folder with potentially hundreds of other files.

I’m not sure what you are suggesting here Alec. Could you please elaborate?

Currently one is forced to create the automated export folder as a subfolder of the folder containing one’s RAW images. I propose adding an option to make the automated export folder a parallel folder. DCIM above is a placeholder for RAW images as that’s the name of the folder where most cameras store their images. The name of the folder in the chart above could just as easily be Originals or RAW.

Proposed structure: 20220413 tadten vs kittsee contains

• Originals
  • DxOExports

instead of 20220413 tadten vs kittsee contains

• Originals with subfolder DxOExports

Additional options for the export folder is a new topic. I shouldn’t have made a joke in this thread about an only lightly related feature request. I’m sorry.

I definitely do NOT support this proposal … t’would be a recipe for disaster; especially for those of us who depend upon sidecar/.dop files to retain correction details related to the associated RAW/source-image files, instead of the database.

John M

6 Likes

Rubbish! I can choose whichever folder I want, including a sibling of the original folder…

1 Like

That’s good news: thanks for the tip. I was looking for a drop-down option in the “Folder: Original image folder; Custom folder” menu. I didn’t realise that PhotoLab would respect Unix folder navigation conventions.

I.e. for anyone who doesn’t catch it right away is the ../ part of the folder name which could be:

• ../Export
  • ../DxOExports2
  • ../FinishedPrint
  • ../FinishedWeb

etc…

Note to explain how this naming could help improve workflow: the genius of this is that one doesn’t have to manually set a Custom folder for export each time and that if you generally use a standard export folder name, you don’t need to change the folder settings at all when switching between projects. Even changing the actual export folder version (sometimes I export multiple versions) becomes much faster.

Does anybody know if something similar is possible in the windows DXO.

Have tried some possibilties, but I only got a red warning in the box

Did you use a forward slash (/) or a backslash () ? You need the latter for Windows.

I know that :disguised_face: and I tried Slash and Backslash

I see RED

You have chosen a specific folder and not the original.

I have tried several possibilties

See my edited post that might have crossed yours

I have been using this on Windows for years. You can also use ./Folder to specify a sub-folder of the current folder.

If my memory serves me right, you can even use the forward-slash instead of the back-slash of windows.

Try adding a folder name after your slash.

Hi Keith

doesn’t work
nor

neither

No problem Alec. :smiley: I didn’t take it as a joke, I just wanted clarification. Thanks for the info.

"Erweiterung seems to be a strange word, if its supposed to mean a directory…

What’s the text in english? Have you tried without the period (.)?

Maybe as an option but otherwise I disagree. I want my sidecars in the same directory as the images. Separate directories would screw up my job archiving process. For sure it could be reworked but I prefer not to have to change that.

Capture One Sessions stores then in some buried subdirectory and I hated that.

This may be preferable for some but not for me.

1 Like

to all
Now I’ve seen my fault…that’s another difference between WIN/Mac
Joanna pointed to
The item Unterordner(subfolder) is missing in the Windows dialog
There is only the item Erweiterung(suffix)

So my windows tablet must be replaced by one with sharper screen :flushed:

@Franky …new input for you?

@Guenterm what is hidden under the “Weniger Optionen” button? I translate that as more options. Does that reveal the “Unterordner” sub-folder box?