DXO PL6 wrong color in the DNG exported to LR

Hi all,
I found very stange behaviour. Test scenario:

1. In LR proceed automaticaly development and add mask to the heaven. Some small chenges of WB, lights and dehaze.
  2. Open Image in PL and choose DeepPrime, no XD. Export inot DNG, only denoise and oprtical corrections.
  3. Import image into LR and copy settings from LR developed image to the DNG.

Please see two screen shots of comparation of original ORF and DNG, both with same development settings. One DNG is produced by PL5 (looks OK), second from PL6 - very strange.
Is it a bug or I do somethong wrong?

BR, Leo

1 Like

Which working color space did you select in PL6? Legacy or DxO Wide Gamut?

See here for an ongoing exploration:

Explain the DNG color differences between dxo5 (legacy) and dxo6 (wide gamut) - DxO PhotoLab - DxO Forums

1 Like

The short story : there is a (quite noticable ) difference in the exported DNG if 'wide gamut ’ is selected. Specially with ‘all corrections’ mode.

Where te ‘legacy gamut’ seems to leave the data in the DNG (almost) the same as the original camera (so program s like Lightroom can show good colors ), the ‘wide gamut’ option changes this, so the colors turn out different.

If this is a bug or not, or expected behaviour or whatever is still unclear :). I have an official support ticket open where i explained and demonstrated the differences in the 4 different DNG modes (all corrections / optical and denoise only, and legacy gamut / wide gamut ).

They’ve taken it to the technical guys to see if this is intended or not .

I adviced that if it is NOT intended , the gamut option is ignored and always used as legacy when exporting DNG (but not for the other formats ).
If it IS intended, i would like to know how to use those files, since most external programs don’t understand what happened to the color space in it (or whatever happened ).

For now, set the gamut to legacy when exporting DNG.

1 Like

In the legacy works. But why it has an influence? Is DNG already linked to Color Space? If yes - I can convert direct in TIF? Or I missing something?

We don’t know.
I’m with you (i think) , in that it shouldn’t have any influence in DNG.

But we have no official answer from DxO, and my support ticket is still open.

In the time , export DNG with legacy. Export jpg/tiff how you want .

2 Likes

I was wondering about it for a while too but figured it out. When you pass a RAW image to PL, all adjustments you did in LR are meaningless…PL is seeing only the raw data. And it’s reading the camera´s profile, not any profile you may have applied in LR. Work your file to your taste in PL, including using the wide gamut profile. Send a DNG it back to LR with all corrections applied, and in LR apply the default camera profile , in my case Fuji Provia Standard…voila! They look the same…

3 Likes

Hi Joris, happy new year!
Did you already get an answer?
I got similar problems as @Leo1024 for blue colors but also terrible red/brown tones, which were converted to red. Your workaround fixes that problem but that shouldn’t be necessary.
By the way: My workflow is similar to that of Leo.

Best regards,
Andreas

No answer , and not expecting one by one to be honest.

Just set the gamut to legacy when working (exporting) DNG. It has no use there anyway.

The wide gamut option is only useful if you let dxo do the entire color pipeline (so when exporting jpg or tiff ).

Hi, having the same issue here. Except, that it doesn’t matter if I use Classic gamut or Wide Gamut in PL6.

I have attached a comparison.

I did an extensive comparison betweenn PL5 and PL6. I did 3 batches using a Fujii raw file.

-apply a filmsim (Provia) and export as jpeg
-apply a filmsim (Provia) and export as DNG “all corrections applied”
-export as DNG “Denoise and optical corrections only” and apply filmsim (Provia) later in Lightroom

I did that in PL5, and in PL6 for each Working Color Space option.

Then I imported everything into Lightroom.

Result:

-The jpegs from both PL5 and PL6 both WG and CL, as well as the export from PL5 “All corrections applied” (Aca) are almost identical (slight differences to be observed)

-The original Fuji raw file with Lightroom’s interpretation of Provia, as well as the DNG “Denoise + Optical” (DN+OC) form both PL5 and PL6 (WG and CL) are identical (but differ slightly froim the 1st batch, that is logical: LR’s Provia and DxO’s Provia are not exactly the same, no problem here)

-The DNG’s “All corrections applied” (Aca) from PL6, both WG and CL are off. The reds are way tooi intense.

In the comparison below,
top: left the jpeg exported from PL6-WG, right: the DNG from PL5-All corrections applied (they look fine, some differences to be observed (the green napkins are sloghtly different but nothing drastic))
bottom: left DNG PL6 Classic gamut-Aca, right: PL6 Wide Gamut Aca. They both are off.

From what I understood, the top right and bottom left should at least be idendical (PL5 and PL6 Classic), but in my very honest opinion, they shoulld ALL be at least very close.

NOTE the forum software messes up the colors as well!!! Please view the image from this direct download:

https://offringa.freeboxos.fr:16871/share/TGAqskdSF46V4Cac/PhotoLab%20output%20comparison.jpg

@Photo-DKO have you tried exporting your PL6 classic and WG as 16 bit TIFF just to see if there is any difference. I know you preferred the be in DNG. At least it will prove if there is a problem with there DNG’s.

Yes, I did, 16-bit TIFFS look exactly identical to the jpegs and the preview in DxO itself: just like they should. There is an issue somewhere in the processing pipeline.

Well that seems to prove it. It might be worth report this to DxO.

1 Like

Will do, ASAP…

The topic already had been discussed in

In post #27 and #36 DxO staff explained in detail, that & why the export to DNG with the option “All corrections applied” (PL5) resp. “All corrections except Color Rendering” (PL6) *) does not contain the default color rendering of the camera (DxO Camera Profile). …

*)
in PL6.3.1 renamed again as before “All corrections applied”
( the screenshots in PL6 online manual still show “All corrections except Color Rendering” )

1 Like