DxO (PL6) destroys the JPG file when writing the metadata into the file

DxO (PL6) destroys the JPG file when writing the metadata into the file. There are no problems with RAW files because the metadata is written to an XMP file.
I’m using 6.2.0 build 41.

I just tried this and wrote IPTC data to a out of camera jpeg from a Nikon D3X and it works correct without any corruption.

This on macOS 13.1 and PL 6.2.0 b41

Will be interested in what others say as had it happen to two images today when adding ‘Keywords’

One image righted itself after moving between other images. the other had to replace with the original Raw file and use that image.

Had not problems with RAW files

On MacBook Pro

Regards, Dave

Where were the corrupted files located when you did the editing?
A file damaged like that should not be able to heal it self.

I’m thinking more that this was an error when reading the file. A race condition or interference over network or usb cable.

My jpegs I tested on was located locally on the native ssd in my MBP M1.

I have investigated the problem further.
Images are only destroyed when automatic writing and reading of metadata is activated in the settings.
It is not traceable which images are destroyed, it is a random event. I suspect that PL6 is “choking” on the writes.

If I write the metadata manually (via the menu) into the file, nothing happens and the images remain intact.

It was asked here where the files are located. The pictures are locally on my internal SSD (MacBook M1).

The exchange of metadata (e.g. stars and colour tags) with CaptureOne or other programmes works perfectly in both directions.

2 Likes

I see a contradiction in these two statements…

Where is the update performed when the autosync is on and it creates the problems when it seems to work in all other cases according to the last statement. I just don’t get it.

I have not seen anything like that myself despite having used autosync a long time now. It really works very well now.

I see a contradiction in these two statements…

Where is the update performed when the autosync is on and it creates the problems when it seems to work in all other cases according to the last statement. I just don’t get it.

I have not seen anything like that myself despite having used autosync a long time now. It really works very well now.<

There is no contradiction.
The metadata is exchanged correctly, but in the process the image (i.e. the file) is physically destroyed and is unusable (see the example above).

I had some problems when I first started using PL (here) which I never got to the bottom of. What camera are you using and is all the metadata written directly into the XMP file or is something changing the RAW? With my Leica CL it is the latter, an XMP isn’t even created - you could check the file hash to confirm.

I made the mistake of changing multiple things at once, which seems to solve the issue though I have no real idea which change worked.

The RAW files are not affected by the problem. It is the JPGs that are destroyed.
An interesting idea of yours to change only one thing at a time. I’m going to try assigning only keywords first, and then (after a short break) the rating stars.

I will report back here.

1 Like

My bad, I thought embedded JPEG

Never got this issue so far, but I’ve switched off automatic metadata sync. Sadly, there is no way to separate MD read from MD write in DPL’s settings. To separate read and write, only manual r/w will do.