DxO PL5 vs DxO PL6 NR algorithm

Do you have some kind of CPU, and did you try with cpu-only mode?
I don’t see the colourful artefacts I see, but that seems so weird, that it’s split in the middle like that.
Almost seems like the right side receives no noise reduction or something.

But yeah, that are the ‘AI denoising’ problems I recognize from tools like On1 NoNoise and Topaz… and I’m not used to from DeepPrime.

And no, what you show is not subtle at all… but I haven’t encountered something like that yet, to be honest. But also, since I get rainbow artifacts in GPU mode I hardly use it :frowning: .

Seems like we might have to stick to DP for some time. XD seem to give some more detail but we also seem to risk unpredictable unwanted artefacts.

2 Likes

Have the same

I’ve said it before — if not in this thread then another — that XD absolutely has its uses. It’s just not a replacement for DeepPRIME in the same way that DeepPRIME was for PRIME.

But it does worry me that, while “invented texture” is arguably to be expected when trying to wade through high noise levels, XD has some completely unnatural tendencies like this abrupt vertical line which has no basis in the original image data.

5e1058490e4541acd692386c0e593a0dc7ee4a97

1 Like

That’s a rendering problem in the mini viewer surely, rather than a fundamental failure of the XD algorithm? Is it there in the exported image?

W00t!! New NVIDIA Studio Driver release today, which lists DXO Photo in the release notes as ‘new supported application’.

I have no more rainbow artefacts and other streaks while trying DeepPrimeXD on the GPU.

(Note, this means that for me the differences between CPU mode and GPU mode seem to be gone… I guess artefacts created by the algorithm for real won’t be resolved until DxO fixes it…).

3 Likes

Great!

release notes → page 7, → 2.4.1.1 Applications

edit 1:
and for the result → see …

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

edit 2:
just realized, that I’m in the Mac section – sorry for that :slight_smile:

It’s like what is on the left of that line XD has decided is noise so it’s smoothed it out and what is to the right it’s decided it should have texture. Strange when you look at the original though that it’s come to that conclusion. I’ve found that standard DP does this sometimes as well, just not quite as extreme as XD.

I guess it is treating the images in smaller patches, and each of the patches are treated individually.

Yes it’s there in the exported image.

1 Like