DXO PL3 - Helcon focus - dng

When I export a dng-file from Helcion fous, made from several orf-files, it is not recognized by PL3. Helicon is using Adobe DNG converter, by default.
At dxo.support.com I found this: DxO PhotoLab 3 supports DNG format files as long as they have been generated by Adobe Lightroom, or Adobe DNG Converter, and as long as the original RAW format is also supported in the program. DxO PhotoLab 3 will also accept DNG files created natively by supported cameras.
My understanding is that the resulting dng-file should be recognized. They are recognized by windows, by and by darktable, therefore, I do not suspect anything wrong with the files.
I see there has been a lot of post about different trouble with dng- files and dxo. I have searched the Helicon foucs forum, and found the first identical problem dated 2016.
I might have messed up something, but I doubt it. DXO seems to have a somewhat complicated realtionshop with DNG.
Please developers: clean this up, let us be able to use dng files as most other software companies seem to allow.

1 Like

Hi Joachim,
DNG is a file format, a container kind of file. The extension of the file is always DNG but what is inside, will vary according from where it has been created. Thus making tons of combinations possible, cameras or software generated.
DxO support the most common DNGs that’s it.
You can make a request if you would like to see Helcon focus DNGs supported by PhotoLab.
Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong.
Have a nice day.

Helicon are demosaicing so what you have is a linear dng file. This is not a raw file. It is effectively a 16bit Tif file in a dng container with no white point applied. When you open this in a raw processor the raw processor will apply its default white point and you are free to adjust.

By not demoasaicing in DXO you lose the superior lens corrections (very big difference for MFT sensor) as well as PRIME noise reduction.

There seems no advantage to using this approach, if you have DXO, then to process in DXO where you have control over the demosaicing, unlike the auto option in Helicon, with the chance to adjust colour, highlight/shadow, noise etc and output 16bit tif’s to process in Helicon.

People are often confused by dng and make the assumption that this is a raw file.

1 Like