DXO PL Deep prime and Vuescan

Hello,
I remember that some mebers are also using Vuescan. If I scan with Vuescan and my flatbed scanner I can choose Raw as output file, but this file isn’t recognized by photolab as Raw, and so I can’t use Deep Prime.
M last setting i tried was
like its describes here Using Raw Scan Files (hamrick.com)

Any ideas welcome

greetings

Hello,
I got a very quick answer by Ed Hamrick
“You might send their support people a raw file from VueScan and ask them why they can’t read it (it’s a standard DNG file).”
But also with the new setting
I can’t open the file with PL

It’s no problem to open the file with Affinity photo, and develop it.

@sgospodarenko …is there any possibilty to work with dng files in the near future?

Thanks

Mmmmh,

my old Adobe LR stand -alone is also able to open the standard dng-file created by Vuescan

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Hello,
I made another test because I’ve found the article Welche DNG-Dateien werden als Eingabe zur Verarbeitung von DxO PhotoLab 4 unterstützt? – Kundendienst
So I opened the Vuescan DNG in Lightroom, made some adjustments and saved it with LR as DNG.
But this file can not be opened by DXO.
Thats my first experience with DNG files and maybe I made something wrong.
Any suggestions or hints would be nice
best regards

Guenter

The DNG file from Vuescan is most probably a “linear DNG”, basically a demosaiced TIFF file in a DNG container.
If I am correct, PRIME or DeepPrime will not be able to do anything with these files.

Photolab cannot open linear DNG files from “unknown cameras” (see the many threads on requesting the possibility to open phone photos).

I guess, you should revert to saving the scans a TIFF files. You can work on these files in Photolab without problems.

Dear @bekesizl ,

thanks a lot for the quick answer. Yes I’ve read about “linear DNG” and so on, but didn’t know how to identify linear or other DNG’s. Saving as TIFF wouldn’t be a problem, but DXO PL can’t use Tiff with Deep Prime I think.
At this time I’ve only used DP with .orf, .nef Files.
But I will check working with .tif and DP this weekend.

best regards

Guenter

DeepPrime (and Prime) can only work on non-demosaiced RAW files. It will not work on TIFF files.
But you can at least open TIFF files in Photolab.

DNG is both a raw image format and a format that supports “non-raw”, or partly processed, images.[3] The latter (non-raw) format is known as “Linear DNG”.[36] Linear DNG is still scene-referred[37] and can still benefit from many of the operations typically performed by a raw converter, such as white balance, the application of a camera color profile, HDR compositing, etc. All images that can be supported as raw images can also be supported as Linear DNG.

I know that I can open TIF Files, but I need Deepprime for scans from old photos, slides and so on.
I have also to test denoting with affinity photo.

But denoising is a must have.

greeitings

It will not work for scans from a flatbed scanner.
Maybe if you photograph the photos with your digital camera on a special stand with a macro lens.
Here is book about such projects.

And then it is still a question, what DeepPrime can do to film noise/developed film noise on paper. It was developed for digital photos.

For such photos, you could make a try with Topaz DenoiseAI. It can also work on JPG and TIF files.

Hi,
thanks for all the infos.
I decided to bring all the old slides from my friend and mine to a company in Berlin scanning slides and save it in jpg, tiff or dng.
so for the next step I look for a solution to improve the results with own software, with in best case a batch processed workflow.
The deep prime technology in my mind would be the most comfortable way, but doesn’t work.
If it looks to long time for searching, I will wait a year or so before looking again.
Enjoy rest of the week and the sunny weekend

Bye

You might still try the Dfine filter for noise reduction in the NIK Collection.

I don’t have very much expertise in working with scanned photos. These are the ideas I read about on different forums.

You will most probably have the best results if you let the slides scan as TIFF files with some lossless compression or no compression at all. It will retain all data from the scanner without possible problems caused by the JPG compression.
TIFF is a format used for archiving purposes also by official institues.

Have a nice weekend.

Hi @Guenterm,
have been wondering about your dng-format question, as to my knowledge VueScan never supported dng-files. Now, I downloaded the latest version 9 x64 (9.7.55) Professional Edition … to see something about ‘raw’.

To complement the information already provided by @bekesizl you may check Output tab [see paragraph Output | Raw DNG format] and Creating RAW DNG files with Vuescan - Vuescan - Film Community at Negative Lab Pro

From what I understand, one now should be able to open the scanner’s dng-file with ACR (to correct white balance etc), but as the reproduction is not taken with a camera, DxO’s Prime / DeepPrime will not work. – If you ‘photographed’ the slide, Prime and DeepPrime could have assisted you, but you would have set your camera to low ISO anyway – so …

When Nikon stopped driver support for my SCSI Nikon film scanner, I got vuescan – long time ago. Later, when comparing the results with the ‘photos’ I took with my Nikon D750, I always preferred the raw-files from the camera. But remember, Prime / DeepPrime isn’t of any help to counteract film grain
(I used so called ‘HighSpeed’ / 400 ISO).

Like @bekesizl proposed, try DFine from your Nik collection (see webinar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNq2aAWVRCo&t=1s). – And, don’t compare the scans / ‘photos’ with your now-a-days output to avoid a lot of work. :slight_smile:

have fun, Wolfgang

Point 1, prime and deeplrime are only working at true rawfiles.
Non demosiaced files. So no whitepoint set and no colors made.
Only charged and readout photo-elements stored in a mapped file representing those indivitual readlevels.
Point 2 in order to work underneet the demosiaced filestatus you need to know the structure and layout of the physical sensor. Knowing which well is masked with green, red or blue in order to calculate the whitepoint and RGB pixel values.

So if your flatbackscanner sensor is known by DxO then only then the real rawfile could be read and transfered to a virtual raw-DNG. (demosiaced pixelised tiff file with floating whitepoint.) the preview we see inside dxopl.

Thus even when that Vuescan provides a rawfile and not a lineair DNG as output it’s stil possible that dxoPL can’t cope with it.

Dear Wolfgang,
that with the DNG Raw format I posted 2 days ago…see my screenshot.
The Dfine option I will give a chance the next weeks.
First I will send 3 slides to www.medienrettung.de, the guys there send me the offer to scan and send me the dng,tif without any charge.

Thanks to all spending time and thoughts in a strange question.

Enjoy the weekend

That’s a scan from an old paper photo (grandpas Opel) from 1971 with an Epson Workforce 635 / Vuescan as DNG and processed with LR :grin:

1 Like

I did some testing earlier with the free given optic pro 11? essential. Which has no prime only HQ.
Just run it through HQ and then as tiff 16 bit through dfine2 in auto mode.
So no real tweaking. And to my surprise it is quite reasonable. Not as detailed as Deepprime at 40 and even more plastic as prime at 65 but as non raw origin goid enough.

Lineair DNG is a demosiaced file and contains RGB pixels and a set whitepoint.
This means you can’t change WB nondestructive anymore. ( when you save the originfile)
The by DxO called RawDNG export as optics and denoise only does exacly that.
It applies the optical module and CA settings and if selected DeepPrime and demosiacing the rawfile BUT not change colorspace to sRGB or AdobeRGB. It is keeping the maximum colorspace of the sensor. So changeing WB in this file is the same as in a Rawfile. Nondestructive.
A "real"rawfile DNG is a “wrapper” you take a container, put in a storage for iptc, exif data and stuff the rawfile inside this container next to that storage.
Like a internal xmp file.

Lineair DNG’s have the bad propertie of shifting WB and colors when hopping along in different image developers. Interpretation tollarances of the mapping i think.
I quit using DNG and find 16 bit tiff much more “stable” colorwise.

Ok…that’s something I understand and can follow. :wink:

Thanks for your effort Peter

1 Like

Am I right with the following thoughts:

Deep Prime is reducing the noise created in the camera or scanner but not affecting the noise looking structure appearing in the target itself?

If I take a picture of a print containing noise, I would certainly want this noise to show on my new image but not the noise created by the camera at this final stage.

Deepprime is designed to keep small details uneffected wile sensor noise is dealt with.
So Deepprime has a sharpening effect due the fact that the thin lines are clearer visible.
So small structure like brickwork on a distance is less effected.

I used to use negative scanners and Vuescan but now I just use extension tubes and photograph the negatives over a light box. I use negative lab pro to process.

Using electronic shutter and app control allows taking multiple photos which can be merged to reduce sensor noise very effectively.

The results of this (with a Sony aps mirrorless) are far better than with the Nikon / Minolta dedicated negative scanners.

True, there is no digital ICE but the scratches are easily removed with the modern healing tools which did not exist in the days of negative scanners.

Günter,
if reducing scanner (color-)noise is your main concern I recommend scanning your negatives as 16bit-TIFF and using the free and opensource “RawTherapee” for denoising the images without killing the film grain. You may define denoising profiles for different types of film as presets. Works fine for me.
Greetings
Kay

1 Like