DxO PhotoLab vs Lightroom Classic – using PhotoLab for cataloguing

There are absolutely some very strange procedures Microsoft have chosen to use, some are history and some are still there. The most strange is to use the “Start”-icon to “Stop” the computer. Even the “double click” was once absolutely a procedure that many didn´t find all that intuitive.

… but besides a system crash last summer where my movers completely destroyed my old computer. I can´t remember having any problems with stability, crashes or anything else really with my Windows machines. That vanished for me February 17 2000 when Windows 2000 was released. Today many business-critical systems runs on big fault tolerant Windows clusters using also Microsoft SQL Server-databases. There are no Mac-computers in datawarehouses and server halls.

I have seen with my own eyes photo technicians at the museum I worked at that had big problems with their Macs too and then it didn´t seem enough even with the user-friendliness of that OS to solve their problems. Some people just lack computer skills regardless of what OS they are using. Today I find it a little strange that some users seems to lay so much interest in OS´s. It is the applications that are all and has always been and the OS is merely used just to start them.

It was the applications like MS Excel and Office that established Windows and not the OS itself and during many years Microsofts industry standard applications always was first released to Windows. Mostly som older version was running on the Macs. (I was a product manager for Microsoft software so I know how it was. Mac OS exist because Microsoft had to let it survive but IBM OS/2 they killed because they refused to port their applications to it. The last version of Office that was ported to OS/2 was 2.21 I think. Then it stopped and OS/2/Warp died…

We also had problems with some garbage characters from their Macs in our DAM. So in many industries they have standardized on the industry standard which still is Windows. Mac is half an OS for the industry since there are no Mac-server OS and there are no Mac-servers. Mac OS never made it from the desktops. Being able to use Windows everywhere with the same interface is the real advantage of using Windows and it saves the industry a lot of money. There are tons of applications that are a part of that industry standard that never gets developed to Macs and that is why industry people looks at the Macs as toys for some users that of some reasons seem to have hard to adapt to the industry standard. There are a few branches where Macs are playing a role and that is Imaging and Music. Anything more?

Mac is a protected world and, in some ways, locked environment, while Windows always have had to adapt to whatever the industry has thrown on it of hardware and cards for the expansion slots in the computers. That is some of the real problems Windows have had to face but the Macs not at all to the same extent since that OS is not a server OS at all. So concerning that Windows has proven both very scalable and rubust. Mac OS is desktop/laptop and doesn´t really scale at all.

@joju and @Joanna
Well I have no problems understanding BRYAN and sometimes it is absolutely necessary to drill all the way down in order to find out why for exemple I was stuck with External Searches that seemed to have gotten corrupt and sometimes it means querying databases after figuring out how they are used by the system. The “database” is not just about the database and the data integrity that can give us but also about the software logics affecting that data and in this case there was absolutely something wrong with what DXO has done with External Searches in Photolab. So I think you have to nivellate that sarkasm you seem to share in the threads above. I haven´t done anything at all with the database or the physical data. I haven´t moved any image folders on the disk or so. The only thing that has changed is really installing a couple of service upgrades of Photolab.

I appreciated a lot there were somebody here capable enough of addressing a problem I saw.

@BHAYT, your talent to bury questions in your long posts makes it difficult to find the questions in the first place and then, asking a question ending it with a “?” could help too.

What does Lightroom Classic offer that DPL doesn’t in a world of shifting sands?
Here are a few features that could help to keep DPL’s database in sync with reality:

1. LrC discovers that a folder or image is missing, misplaced or renamed, marks the item in question and offers options for me to search for the item that is missing, misplaced or renamed.
  2. LrC lets me remove items from the catalog without moving those items to the trash.
  3. LrC sync folders: Rescan a folder and add/change/remove items (not) found in that folder.

While this doesn’t sound like much, it helps to keep the Lr catalog true to what is on the drive or in sync with my intentions. DPL can’t do that as we have seen from the tests I ran and described here: Photo Browser Not Displaying All Images - #26 by platypus

To be clear: I want DPL to offer similar services and I want to be able to launch them manually, not have them performed automatically.

3 Likes

Hi,

I can confirm all 3 points and add a 4th one, namely the possibility to automatically create a backup of the LR catalogue when exiting LR. My backups go back to 2016 :laughing:…I need to clean that up.

I still find the WIN MAC discussion funny and reminiscent of religious wars. Many still have Win95 or 7 in mind and forget that a lot has improved/changed with 10 and 11.
I also lived through the times of GEM / DOS / WIN / Novell and OS/2, often tested Linux and derivatives, but always stuck with WIN. I’m satisfied with my MAC for many things, but I’m annoyed with others, which led me to buy a new WIN notebook as a work machine.
The possibility of working with portable apps is also an advantage here. I accept the somewhat lower security compared to MAC.
Everyone takes what they want, the main thing is that the differences in DXO are finally aligned, and I would like to take the liberty of pointing out Affinity once again, which has implemented this quite neatly.

best regards and no bashing please :rofl:

1 Like

I have been a Windows user since the first stable version was available, Windows 3.1, which I used at my workplace and later on at home. My wife has been using Windows for almost as long, and my son has been using it for over 20 years.

I am not doubting that the person you were helping was having some severe problems, but I and my family have not had any significant issues with Windows in more years than I can remember. In addition, the majority of my friends and relatives also use Windows machines with no significant issues. Remember, the number of Mac uses worldwide is a very tiny percentage of those using Windows. As a result of this much larger user community, there is also going to be a much larger group of people with issues. Windows 10, and now Windows 11 are both extremely stable platforms.

Mark

2 Likes

First, it’s not only “issues” but sometimes it’s simply a longer way with more clicks than necessary. Whch cost time and brain cpacity to remember. Second, issues tend to get forgotten once they got solved. I’ve had in my proefessional life a lot of issues. Just recently I needed to re-install DeepL just because of a Windows update. A couple of times our suppliers had loads of troubles because of Windows updates creating one bug after another. Therefore I simply cannot agree on what you say although I don’t doubt that’s your experience.

And third, you’re living in the lands Windows came from. I’m living in the lands with bad and poor localisations, troubles with fonts and the resulting troubles in printer drivers and so on… So one big source of super messy UI you simply cannot judge because you work in source language of the OS. That makes a solid difference, believe me.

And Mac OS updates don’t cause any issues? Based just on what I have been reading on this sight that does not seem to be the case.

Mark

I can only agree here, as I have had minor problems after almost every update on my MBAir. And the number of crash reports I have sent to Apple, and that in 2 years, exceeds the crashes on Windows by about 400%.

Of course - and besides, I never declared Mac OS bug free, but the relation of bug quantities is far better - no suprise, Windows also would be better, if they would not have to support a bestiarium of hardware. It0s rathe reasy to keep a system clean within a limited amount of hardware choice. And honestly, I never missed the possibility to select one type within 20 brands of graphiccard suppliers, based on two major companies design. More choice is not necessarily better if the brands have to compete with low prices. Somehwere the qaulity has to come from.

I guess you’re running Windows on MBA? @Guenterm I seriously doubt you’re using your MBA as intended. Each system has a tolerance against “improper use” and depending what kind of hardware you’re connecting to an MBA this might be a reason of mishaps.

I agree that for some people more choice is not better, while for many others It is very desirable. I always found iPhones much more limiting than Android phones. I like to configure things with the flexibility to meet my particular needs. Some people don’t want to have to to deal with that. I’ve never been a one-size-fits-all kind of guy. I think it’s great that there are different platforms to meet everyone’s preferred way of working, whether it’s Windows, MacOs, or Linux,

Mark

Well, I was talking about hardware, about the many options one can cramp into a PC housing. And which should follow Microsoft design rules (if there are some…), but at the end of the day, the user building his own PC and paying so much less money (than Mac users, i.e.) has to invest a lot of time, nerves and patience to get it running. Of course, one can always learn a lot - but do I need to know about power supply of graphics adapters to use a PC?

Let’s go back to the original question, I also think, everybody should use what suits his/her needs best.

Agree that Mac’s are great for people that don’t want to invest any time or effort to understand what goes into their computers and want a very simple and easy to use interface without a lot of configuration options which can be confusing. They are clearly willing to pay a lot more money for that. Then there are the rest of us,

Mark

I absolutely agree with you.

Mark

Thank you :smiley:

1 Like

No my dear,

Monterey on MBAir
Win 11 on lenovo legion 5
Win 10 on lenovo thnkpad w520
And till mid of february win 10 on a old i7 gen3 pc

Yes darling, I’m sure there’s a good reason not to update to Ventura, all I can say is my experience of crashes is the other way round although I cannot tell 400% more on Windows, but since two years I had a couple of freezes on Win 10. Or something like a new printer driver killing all 15 settings I had for various print jobs and of course: no possibility to export them (on Win), no possibility to backup them and also no possibility to step back - like I could do any time with TimeMachine.

I just don’t need to. The settings for a very different Epson scan-fax-copy-printer are also usable on a new Expression X-15 000 (no fax, no copy, no scan. That already saved ½ hour to get running and try old settings. How many system reboots of the Mac could I do in this time? Between 6 and 10,. if needed. And it’s not needed, so I win time on a daily basis :smiley:

Oh sorry, I wanted to return to the original question :blush: must be a side effect of my growing software and developer’s excused allergy. Need to get that under control.

Or people that make their living working in windows environments as a technician and don’t need that level of hassle when they’re at home and not being paid to handle it

1 Like

Summary of the above: Neither macOS nor Windows can make DPL compete with LrC for reliable cataloguing, database maintenance and consistency between what’s in the database and what’s on the drive.

2 Likes

Of course that assumes there is a high level of hassle when using it at home. Back in the day there was significantly more hassle using Windows, but these days with Windows 10 and Windows 11 that is not really an issue.

My wife and son are not particularly technical and they have been using their computers for years without hassles or problems and no intervention by me for a very long time. I am a retired IT person and haven’t had any issues at all on my Windows 10 machine for years.

Perhaps Macs are more idiot proof than Windows machines which I suppose is a good thing. However, most Windows users I know aren’t idiots. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Mark