DxO Photolab 6 out!

Hi John

but at some point it’s like I need some other software for all things

FRV for fast culling and comparing 2 till 4 photos
LR6 or A Photo to open DNG
any software to work with HEIF
one stable DAM solution

I’m a long time user of DPL and I like the Nik collection, but to ignore all the very important features I need ( im not a pro) around the excellent RAW features for me looks like ignoring all the requests of loyal customers and the features the market calls for.

That’s my private non pro opinion

Enjoy the weekend

Guenter

1 Like

Totally agree with you @wweick
As a user since PL2, I realized I shouldn’t expect any new editing tools on this software. I don’t think they have the “know how” in order to develop new editing tools. After all, all they did is copy paste from Nik collection.
They only focused on squeezing the lemon more and more. PureRaw is the same app just with less features, nik collection is more or less the same as the free Google version.
I didn’t upgrade from v4 to v5 because all they did with the control points is just moving the hardcoded luminance and color setpoints into user changeable values via slider. The did the same from pl3 to 4. The famous Color wheel HSL is just a different visualisation of the Hue&Tint sliders. Although much better ui for the user, but it didn’t involve any new editing tool as regard to the software developers.
No new “photography editing” tools since pl3. Which means, if all other compatitors move forward, PL actually move backwards. Just noise reduction is always getting a little bit better and better.
On Black Friday if it would be less then 70$ , I will upgrade and keep the option for future upgrades. There’s some rumors about 40% off very soon.
Otherwise I will probably keep on my workflow at present. Raw de-mosaic and basic adjustments in Dxo and then exporting to Luminar Neo for creative editing.

4 Likes

What type of DNG will PhotoLab not open? I know DNG is a rather broad term, but I have camera-native Pentax DNGs as well as Adobe-converted DNGs from Pentax PEFs. Those two types comprise 80% of my library.

PhotoLab will not open compressed lossy DNG files. These are DNG files created by Lightroom or Camera Raw when merging HDR, Panorama, or HDR Panorama images. I think this is one thing that DXO is missing out on. If it won’t do stitching, or panos or hdr merges then I think it would be a good thing to be able to adjust these files.

1 Like

IIRC, anything flushed through Topaz AI software (Sharpen, DeNoise or Gigapixel) first

1 Like

Hi,
DNG’s from Vuescan Scan operations
DNG’s from Huawei P30pro
DNG;s from Samsung S20

I can open all the files in various software tools like Affinity, freeware e.g.

So where is the problem for DXO?

I forgot that I have had a support call to Mr. Hamrick (vuescan) about this problem, and he told me that Vuescan produces Standard DNG and the problem must be solved by the software mnufacturer…in this case DXO :grinning:.
And because all other software tools I own can open this DNG’s I trust Mr. Hamrick

DeNoise AI “RAW” profile files can be processed in PL (not sure you’d ever wish to though), not so for Sharpen or Gigapixel - I presume as DeNoise RAW allows you to save as a linear DNG with no compression including the supported camera data, whereas Sharpen and Gigapixel write back to the original image with no options, converting it to a linear DNG directly according to their algorithm

I switched from LR to PL earlier this year after Fuji support was added to DP and was impressed with the results. When PL6 was released I was eager to access DP XD as described in the marketing material and decided to purchase the upgrade immediately. I’m a little disappointed to find out that support for Fuji will be added in an update and don’t feel this fact was made sufficiently clear on the store page. There is even a screenshot in the PL6 User Guide showing RAF processed using DP XD: General image corrections – PhotoLab Guidelines
Sure, I could have downloaded the demo and tested all relevant features before pulling the trigger. In fact, I now plan to do so going forward. The point is that the experience has made me cautious about purchasing future upgrades and I want to feedback this experience and outcome to DxO. A simple asterisk and note regarding the current feature disparity on the store page would have avoided this.

8 Likes

You certainly should give 'em this feedback. Hopefully they’re reading this topic - but personally I find the feedback options for tickets created at support.dxo.com a reliable way to do this. FWIW. :+1:

1 Like

“Standard DNG” is like “standard text” — the only accepted consistency is what it is intended to represent (pictures or text, respectively). There is A LOT that can go in a DNG file. In fact, DNG is a variation on TIFF and just look at all the TIFF incompatibilities that have existed for decades.

DxO support DNG files that conform to specific cameras’ profiles, which is to say they have a supported camera list and they also support DNG files from those cameras (or via Adobe’s conversion). Which gets back to the well known limitation of PhotoLab/PureRAW. It has to support the camera you use.

The only exception to this is the linear DNGs exported by PhotoLab/PureRAW themselves, because DxO know what they’re dealing with in that case.

Hi,

I’m not the only user that is asking for basic support for the DNG’s I wrote above. Take a look at all the discussions about Apple and other brands.For me it’s still a break in the workflow by creating a project and also need some DNG’s because I take some shots with the Oly, but my wife take some with her Huawei in Pro modus.

But i can only talk for me and post my opinion.

Enjoy the week

2 Likes

For generic DNG support, my guess is that DxO only supports RAW files from cameras they have explicitly tested to calibrate their demosaicing and color rendering algorithms.

If there are standard-ish RGB formats for DNGs with demosaiced data (which seems to be what Adobe Camera Raw might produce, and might be used as output by some point-and-shoot cameras and phones), or raw data matching a “standard” Bayer color filter array, then DxO could have a generic algorithm to interpret that. I suspect that they don’t want to do it, because such a generic algorithm would produce subpar results: images that lack in sharpness, and colors that can be off. Since their main selling point is best-in-class image quality, supporting all kinds of generic DNGs produced by unknown software or devices would mean that some users and reviewers would end up not getting that best-in-class image quality, which would hurt the DxO brand.

(One could argue that not supporting those DNGs hurts them more, but that’s not the call that DxO seems to be making.)

1 Like

Hi Florence,

sounds logic for me, but to prevent users feeling disappointed by basic support and the more worst results than from a good raw (which is also logic in my opinion), DXO could implement a message, a red frame round this photos or anything else.
But ignoring formats other companies support (I have 5 such tools), and to ignore the growing smartphone market with very good results of taking photos in RAW…???

I guess the best you could hope for (notwithstanding actual support for the phone devices), is basic DNG decoding to “RGB” but then you will not get the advanced tools that work from RAW. Certainly with VueScan you can simply output it in a TIFF file and PhotoLab will read it.

But… who knows how many variations there are in DNG files that DxO would have to cater for or risk “complaints” that device “x” is still not supported.

No need to guess. DNG support is illuminated here:

(I know that I’m repeating what’s already been said before…)

While I am personally very interested in the DeepPrime technology, I agree with you on the scandalous loophole of not being able to compare two images and the integration of the new camera and lens profiles if you don’t upgrade to the latest version. Several of us have already complained frequently on this forum and the responses sound like absurd excuses. In short they go their own way and ignore the issue.

1 Like

I just download a trial of PL6 - I already have PL5. I noticed the perspective tools but dd not see any reference in the product information. Their inclusion in base PL6 without needing a VP licence would be a big plus. I am surprised they are not mentioned.

Photolab won’t open a DNG from any Leica Monochrom camera. Bit of a niche admittedly but one that affects me.

1 Like

It’s a big plus and a good move. Having to buy a pricy plugin (ViewPoint) when all you want to do is some basic perspective correction was a tough sell for many. It was actually my top feature request for PhotoLab 6 as a prospective buyer. :stuck_out_tongue:

I am surprised they are not mentioned.

Those features are explicitly listed as additions to PhotoLab 6 if you look at the comparison table:

• Integrated crop and horizon tool
  • Change perspective using keystoning tools

I guess they don’t advertise it much in their marketing because they don’t want to detract from the ViewPoint 4 release.

1 Like