DxO Photolab 6 out!

Ah ok,
No problem,
As i said it wasn’t particulair said to you either that the post where from you, who where just writing about the wrongs without using the time to see if it’s more then what meets the eye at first.
As I have said before and continue to say, constructive criticism is never a problem. If something doesn’t work or the tool doesn’t do what you expect from such a tool then you should always speak up. Otherwise, nothing will change. Just clear and direct and substantiated.

Any way, i think where on the same side. :slightly_smiling_face:

About Silkypix, there is a function which you can use to eliminate moving subjects from a square picture or architecture or something.
1 shoot on a tripod a few images say use a burst of 20? Or every ,5sec one shot.
2 develop them in dxo photolab and export as 16bit adobe RGB tiff.
3 load them in Silkypix , i use SP pro for Panasonic because then it cost you 30 euro or so.
4 select some of the tiffs and use the combine modes and see if it finds al the moving objects export as tiff and return this to the photolab folder.
Use retouch to repair al the remaining flaws.

Oh and Reshape, sorry, used the wrong word, that’s that grid which can be turned in a very strange checkerboard. I can’t see a real use for that tool too much work to get it’s magic hidden for the viewer. I ment repair, retouch clone tool.

Nein eh negen :yum::grin:

Zo als de waard is vertrouwd hij zijn gasten.
:yum:

1 Like

Right, i have set up my new toy:
first preferences:
default preset, new version so update that.
xmp synchronize checker off. why? i don’t like two drivers at two steeringwheels.
my XMP’s are modified and made outside PL. Any additional adding which can’t be done in my main manager i can provoke with
D1sxYuPX7P
and any change after indexing outside which isn’t picked up automatic can be provoked with Read.
when you have this on you will be noted:
noted

Then workspace adjustment on new tools:

making personal palettes so every thing is easy found. top to bottom working manner.
this is looking like this:

i have tools preloaded but not all active so a simple turn on does a default action as i want.

The Favorite star can be used as fast selector of tools who you like to have next to each other in some case which arn’t in one of the tabs together visible. Say color and toning.

small change in workspace:
closed palette IPTC.
quick entry for manual changes inside PL and i don’t have to go to library mode.
(keywords i never change inside PL for reasons posted here often.)

And later i create new four groups of partial presets:
DP 200-800 ISO 40%
DP 1000-2000 ISO 50%
DP 2500-3200 ISO 70%
DP 6400 ISO 80%

DPXD 200-800 ISO 40%
DPXD 1000-2000 ISO 50%
DPXD 2500-3200 ISO 70%
DPXD 6400 ISO 80%

first i need to test results.
And with XD testing if tuning down noise model up or down along the way helps to balance detail enhancing. When i find the sweatspots i create partial presets which Only change DxO Denoising Technologies settings.
In a folder " ISO Denoise Selector V6."
So i can select on iso apply presets on each kind of group and done.

In my present workspace i use legacy colorspace because we still don’t know exactly what a default WGCS would do with older rawfiles who are processed and even i t should be seen by dxopl that they arn’t new so Legacy is applied i am now on the safe side.

2 Likes

Well Peter I must say that it looks like you’ve got it all nailed down. :grin:

2 Likes

:grin: :white_check_mark:

That’s a very effective technique, Peter … I wonder how many others use it ?

John M

2 Likes

I do. All the tools I normally use are there. Maybe inactive, but available.

1 Like

Like clearview plus is in dxo default 25% ive turned it down to 15% and perspective 100% is often visible not natural so i locked it at 85%
What i did was setup a base development tonality, type of toolsetting, then turn off the tools which not should be active for all images click on create preset on present settings.
Make this your preset for new images in preference.
Then all new images have this default as starting point.
Turning on smartlighting in face detection does base average until you place boxes around. I use 25% as a kind of dynamic range setting.
Pulling in highlight and shadows so to speak. When you adjust exposure compensation the two boxes are pinnend and adjust wile you move exposurelevel around.

Here’s a preset that includes all tools, most of them neutered. I mostly use that preset while discovering new releases…and to make tool panel titles more readable :wink:
All (DPL6 + VP4 + FP5) ON.preset.zip (2.6 KB)

1 Like

Peter, thanks for sharing how you set up your workspace. It helps me get a grip on all the choices in Photolab.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing how you set up your workspace. It helps me get a grip on all the choices in Photolab. I am new to photo processing software so there is so much to learn.

Personal statement
I have 10 days left for the PL6 trial on Windows and Mac, and at the moment I don’t have any reason to buy the update.
Deep Prime XD isn’t necessary for my kind of photography
Softproof isn’t implemented with full function.
Wide Gamut WCS…???..lot of questions
Photo library…no comment
Retouch Tool…I use AffinityPhoto
ReShape haven’t tested and for Warp things I use Affinityphoto

…Did I forgot someting…???

So at the moment I will use PL5 for my Raw Developing for my ORF, NEF, Tiff, Jpeg things
For DNG developing and all the Pixel editor things the Affinity tools
For culling and Comparing FRV 2
And for the old scanned slides after developed in DXO I will use Topaz tools for sharpening, denoising and removing lens and motion blur.

So I can use the winter month for all the phot stuff without beta testing software

Have fun

Guenter

7 Likes

I think that sums up my position as well (except my raw files are .CR3 ) :+1:

1 Like

Your list nicely sums up my conclusions from my time with the PL 6 trial too.

The combined crop and rotate tool. Which I have loved using. It has always frustrated me that they were seperate tools in previous releases of PL. However, I can’t yet justify updating to PL6 just for that.

However, DxO have notified me that a bug with the print settings has been added to their list of things to fix with a future update, and as soon as that is done I’ll be updating for the fix alone (the fix would then alllow me to comfortably use Photolab for event (print on site) work as well as editing jobs in the office).

2 Likes

Alec, you always seem to parrot the party line and are very opinionated to the point no one else’s opinion can be valid.

Try to focus here: the reason using FastRawViewer is not particularly useful for comparison after editing is because FRV doesn’t see the non-destructive edits. Saving a JPG or TIFF after every few changes is hardly feasible.

Before editing it does make sense to use FRV because, obviously, no edits have been done. FRV is a very nice product for culling.

But, to use your words, FRV is the wrong tool for the job to evaluate edits and compare different edits. You can use history in PL to compare versions of a specific photo.

Do you understand now?

I was amused to read this because in my experience Alec in no way parrots the party line. In fact, just the opposite. When appropriate, he calls DxO out for a variety of reasons as well as those who give them their unswerving support.

Mark

5 Likes

I have reached the end of my trial period today and will definitely not update to 6 until all the bugs and oddities are fixed and cleared up.

Time will tell and for now I am looking forward to 9 November 2022 when new Affinity version will be launched.
:pray: :index_pointing_at_the_viewer:

2 Likes

It’s not known what is due out, there is a possibility it’s there version of a RAW/Lightroom which could be big threat to programs like pl.

I’ll believe it when I see it. It’s not their core competency, as shown by their existing RAW conversion engine which is pedestrian at best.

Most certainly on the cards is Publisher for iPad. Beyond that I’m picking they will finally go to 2.0 on everything and there will be something groundbreaking like StudioLink added. It would fit their core competency to release a DAM of some kind, but I would expect that to be more like a version of Adobe Bridge than Adobe Lightroom.

Serif had announced to work on a DAM a few years ago but no news.

1 Like

well, for Serif’s time being on the market I tend to disagree to your “pedestrian” judgement. And I consider their “pedestrian” attempt to develop RAW (please don’t forget to compare the prices) as already far better developed than DxO’s quirky DAM. So, if Serif would come out with a DAM DxO should be happy if it’s allowing to run PL as little bit less pedestrian RAW developer :grin:

I can’t agree with you there, as I have developed and processed quite a few photos from my camera and from several smartphones with AP. I also liked the ability to work with LUTs. There is always something to improve, as we have just seen with a prominent example.

I will definitely take a look at the software and the new features after the announcement and then decide whether I want to update.

Here’s another question for the MAC professionals…has anyone already updated to Ventura and worked with AP there…I don’t dare :wink: