DxO Photolab 6 out!

I’d love to learn this (separate grading of highlights, midtones and shadows) too please :slightly_smiling_face:

OK. Original…

1. Darks, like cabin window, tinted blue
  2. Midtones, like woodwork on hull and deck, tinted green
  3. Highlights, like white paint, tinted yellow

4 Likes

Im not a Adobe subscription user, but to be fair it must be
Adobe Photoshop + Lightroom £359.28 for 3 years. PL upgrade after 3 years £199

and with LR (I own the old local 6.14) I have a professional DAM included and could open DNG’s from my Smartphones. I Use Affinity Photo by I could :grinning:

1 Like

I agree entirely! Should add to “Highlights of New Items”, "strong textStillstrong text no support for HEIC files. Photoshop/Lightroom are looking better and better. WHEN will DXO staff listen???

1 Like

That’s correct, that was the package Future Andrew mention and was the post I was replying to.

That’s been delayed many times now. You can comment and vote here:

In the meantime, maybe a batch convert to TIFF is the solution.

DxO = workarounder’s heaven :grin:

At first I thought you had some unimaginably fast computer. Only after a while did I notice that “Heavy crop, that’s why so fast.” :grin:

So good I mentioned it :wink: In fact, the difference was at normal image size with DX=1min to Deep Prime=19sec. But I had to change the image because PL5 could not read the .dop of PL6.

for me the new version is as useless as version 5 and i will stay with Photolap 4 or look for an alternative.
There are 3 reasons why:

1. modern cameras produce so many pictures per second that it is very hard to find the very best shot in a series. Since many years DXO refuses to enable the users to compare two or more pictures and the usual excuse (either use or third part software or “we don´t want to overload the app”) is sorry to say BS.
  2. vendors are producing more new lenses and cameras as DXO is able to deliver the respective profiles. This problem gets even worse as there are more and more cross vendor adapters available allowing users to use e.g. Canon glass with a Nikon. Without a function to enable the user to define his own camera-lens profile (until DXO deliver a professional one) DXO will be unable to deliver its core function.
  3. if the most energy went into noise reduction, for me it is as relevant as Volkswagen presents a new Bugatti sports car with 450km/h highspeed . Nice to see, no practical need for it, as the bulk of my photos are between ISO 64 and ISO 1600

So, why should i upgrade? the answer is easy, only because you don´t support new cameras in previous versions. Think about this unique selling point… Greetings to your marketing/productmanagement
+

7 Likes

Indeed…

Yes, this has been an oft repeated request - but;

• It’s hardly a “show stopper” … there’s a raft of effective alternatives for image evaluation; many of them totally free to use.

• Even if DxO were to provide this feature within PL, I doubt many would be happy with the (likely) sluggish performance - as PL needs to render each image from a list of corrections - - from scratch (that is, PL is a non-destructive editor … it’s not simply throwing the encapsulated JPG up on the screen).

John M

2 Likes

I use FastRawViewer for culling as it is VERY fast, displays the RAW data and has functions to evaluate sharpness. It is very configurable for ‘deleting’ and marking (stars etc) which flows through to PL just fine. Finally it is very reasonably priced!

My workflow:

1. Delete obvious bad photos (delete actually moves the photos to a sub-directory so you can restore if you make a mistake)
  2. Mark photos with stars etc as required.
  3. Open PL and set appropriate filters to see the photos you want to work on. You can also reject photos if you decide you no longer want want.

I use XMP sidecars for this workflow and do not rely on the database.

6 Likes

1, 2, 3 o’clock, 4 o’clock work… workaround rock :musical_note::notes: :smile: :guitar:

You’re sure you know that it’s not a show stopper from people who turnt their backs towards DxO? Because for me this is a show stopper and unfortunately none of the plenty and/or free of use alternatives compares the results of DxO unless there’s an export as JPG or TIF. But you’re right, this alone is hardly a show stopper, it’s just one of all features on the show stopping list. And it gets larger by the day.

1 Like

Hi John

but at some point it’s like I need some other software for all things

FRV for fast culling and comparing 2 till 4 photos
LR6 or A Photo to open DNG
any software to work with HEIF
one stable DAM solution

I’m a long time user of DPL and I like the Nik collection, but to ignore all the very important features I need ( im not a pro) around the excellent RAW features for me looks like ignoring all the requests of loyal customers and the features the market calls for.

That’s my private non pro opinion

Enjoy the weekend

Guenter

1 Like

Totally agree with you @wweick
As a user since PL2, I realized I shouldn’t expect any new editing tools on this software. I don’t think they have the “know how” in order to develop new editing tools. After all, all they did is copy paste from Nik collection.
They only focused on squeezing the lemon more and more. PureRaw is the same app just with less features, nik collection is more or less the same as the free Google version.
I didn’t upgrade from v4 to v5 because all they did with the control points is just moving the hardcoded luminance and color setpoints into user changeable values via slider. The did the same from pl3 to 4. The famous Color wheel HSL is just a different visualisation of the Hue&Tint sliders. Although much better ui for the user, but it didn’t involve any new editing tool as regard to the software developers.
No new “photography editing” tools since pl3. Which means, if all other compatitors move forward, PL actually move backwards. Just noise reduction is always getting a little bit better and better.
On Black Friday if it would be less then 70$ , I will upgrade and keep the option for future upgrades. There’s some rumors about 40% off very soon.
Otherwise I will probably keep on my workflow at present. Raw de-mosaic and basic adjustments in Dxo and then exporting to Luminar Neo for creative editing.

4 Likes

What type of DNG will PhotoLab not open? I know DNG is a rather broad term, but I have camera-native Pentax DNGs as well as Adobe-converted DNGs from Pentax PEFs. Those two types comprise 80% of my library.

PhotoLab will not open compressed lossy DNG files. These are DNG files created by Lightroom or Camera Raw when merging HDR, Panorama, or HDR Panorama images. I think this is one thing that DXO is missing out on. If it won’t do stitching, or panos or hdr merges then I think it would be a good thing to be able to adjust these files.

1 Like

IIRC, anything flushed through Topaz AI software (Sharpen, DeNoise or Gigapixel) first

1 Like